Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

more mag capacity in 170mm STI mag

cecil

I want to change the internals & base pad on one STI 170mm mag so I can get maximum amount of rounds while maintaining reliability .. any info would be greatly appreciated... presently I have a +1 Dawson base pad with grams springs & follower which allows 28 rd and is reliable ..

tia

That is what I get with the same setup. With a TTI 4G you can get 29 but they are a pain to remove. It is not worth it to me.

Aren't the tti just the old bolens? They come right off by pushing the pin down right?

With a Dawson +1 SNL base pad and TTI followers and springs, I can get 29 but I stop at 28 + 1. I know some guys get 30 but I'm not going to push it. I have a MBX mag coming and I am going to see how 30 works in that one.

Grams crack when installed on a tube where the u-pin does not slide freely. If it does not slide freely it puts undue stress on the rest of the pad. A little squeezing at the bottom of the tube or filing and smoothing is what typically needs to happen. It's almost impossible to get the dimensions/tolerances needed for a tube by welding together the metal.

+1 for TTI 4G base pads - def allows additional space.

-1 on Dawson SNL (sometimes not legal). From what I've experienced, they are mostly not legal and require grinding to fit the gauge :(

-1 for MBX - when fully loaded with their spring follower (with 9mm or 38S) bullets def roll and malfunction. Better with the new TTI internals.

Another -1 for MBX: 38S loaded to OAL 1.253 (within sammi) had problems feeding because MBX tube deminsions; I called MBX, he said "change your loads for my mags"?!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1.253 is a little long for 2011 double stacks. 1.225 is best for 38s, 1.235 for 38sc. They need a little room to move back and forth in the magazine for smoother feeding. His recommendation was not out of line.

I checked several vendors for the TTI internals ... everyone was out of the followers... I would like to try the TTI base pads, springs, spacers & followers for STI 170 mag... anyone know where they might be available ?

+1 for TTI 4G base pads - def allows additional space.

-1 on Dawson SNL (sometimes not legal). From what I've experienced, they are mostly not legal and require grinding to fit the gauge :(

-1 for MBX - when fully loaded with their spring follower (with 9mm or 38S) bullets def roll and malfunction. Better with the new TTI internals.

Another -1 for MBX: 38S loaded to OAL 1.253 (within sammi) had problems feeding because MBX tube deminsions; I called MBX, he said "change your loads for my mags"?!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use the Dawson SNL and they are all legal. What tubes were being used? I use STI tubes. Truthfully, the STI tubes with TTI internals and a Dawson basepad will get 28 and 22 for 9mm Major. The only problem I have seen with TTI basepads are that sometimes the basepads are not flush with the bottom of the tube.