Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optics comparisons for CO pistols

Nimitz

Don't think there is a thread yet specific to just a discussion about optic choices for CO pistols so let's start one ...

What are the options and pros and cons of each ....

All I know about optics is that I love the C-mores on my 2 open Steel Challenge guns ... :)

.... And that I won't be putting a C-more on my Shadow for CO .....

Edited by Nimitz

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I like Burris FastFire IIIs for everything. I like the 8 moa dot. Three of them are slide mounted. One is on a Burris Novak mount on a 1911. One is directly mounted to a custom 1911 slide. The third is on a Springer Precision Shadow mount for my Open CZ upper. The fourth is on a Picatinny Mount on my custom Buckmark Open gun. All function flawlessly. The oldest is on the Novak mount and has survived 40,000 plus 45 ACP rounds with no issues. I've never changed a battery.

Other advantages of the Burris FFIII are very little parallax, and they can be removed from the mount and returned without affecting zero at all. Cost for these ranged from $215 to $235.

Why not? Other than overall height, is there much of a difference between the STS2 and the RTS2?

I was looking for something with a smaller profile ...

Anyone have a Doctor?

Why not? Other than overall height, is there much of a difference between the STS2 and the RTS2?

Anyone have a Doctor?

zhunter uses Docter on his CZ P09.

Anyone have a Doctor?

Are JPoint and Docter the same size? I havthe en't compared them SBS, but they sure look close. The JPoint is the lowest profile I've seen.

Running the DP Pro 2.5 MOA

+No need to remove sight to change battery

+Auto on

+Adjustable Brightness

- Have had the sight wash out once on a 2 target array in a match. I did not however have it adjusted to full brightness, but watched it dissapear. Not sure if that would have mattered or not (???) Must have been aligned with the sun perfectly????

no other problems in approx 1400rds, has held zero.

I like my Doctor Sight

It is a always on dot so no messing with switches or it going off during a stage. The dot has been great for everything from bright sunny days to outdoor night matches. It has been proven to be durable with over 100K on a Major 9 Open gun.

Nimitz, the adjustment range of a Docter sight is quite limited, so be certain the platform the sight will mount on is parallel to the bore axis when in battery.

The Docter sights and the FastFire sights are physically different shapes, but use the same four locating pin locations and the same attaching hole locations. The JPoint mount is completely different.

The RTS2/STS2 mounting holes are much closer together and that might be an advantage when milling some slides for direct mounting.

For all around value, the Burris FastFire III seems hard to beat to me (if they had a bigger window version to me it'd be near perfect). The 8 MOA version is very visible in daylight and the sight is tough and you can replace the battery without losing zero. Adjustments are easy too.

I have or had an RTS2, Docter and the first version Deltapoint. I'd pick the Docter second. The delta point had the tiny locking screws for adjustments, had to remove to change battery, and the light intensity adjustment blew. The RTS kept failing. When they fix it or if they come up with RTS3 and it works it could be a winner.

Like to hear on some of the other newer offerings out there; good idea for a thread.

For a straight up competition pistol you might consider the dual illuminated RMR. They now have a green dot option. No batteries to worry about. The complaint about the dual illumination models is that the dot washes out with a WML attached and when shooting from dark to light areas (inside a dark house to outside in the sunlight). Not usually things you see in a typical uspsa match.

I had a dual illuminated RMR on my duty pistol a few years ago and while the dot (only had Amber back then) became dimmer in certain situations, I was always able to find it.

Leupold DeltaPoint Pro

Battery can be replaced without removing the sight.

8 brightness settings

Power Saving Mode - If no movement in 5 minutes, it shuts off the dot. Immediate activation when moved.

40 MOA click windage and elevation adjustments.

Sight protected by metal frame around lens.

Optional rear iron sights available which are also adjustable.

Two different "dots" - 2.5 MOA dot and 7.5 MOA Delta triangle

BC

Anyone know the mounting solutions for some of the optics mentioned?

Luepold? Burris?

Most of the aftermarket slides and slide cut companies are milled/drilled for RMR...

So any of these fit on RMR spec' cuts? Or do you u have to specifically find someone who offers multiple cuts with multiple adapter plates?

Thx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by bigbob21

Leupold DeltaPoint Pro

Battery can be replaced without removing the sight.

8 brightness settings

Power Saving Mode - If no movement in 5 minutes, it shuts off the dot. Immediate activation when moved.

40 MOA click windage and elevation adjustments.

Sight protected by metal frame around lens.

Optional rear iron sights available which are also adjustable.

Two different "dots" - 2.5 MOA dot and 7.5 MOA Delta triangle

BC

Just checked out pix of it after reading your post. Sounds like they fixed all the nits from v1. Very cool looking sight - looks very high quality.

The height of the Romeo3 less the mount:

· Front rise = 1.26 in / 32 mm

· Rear rise = .48 in / 12 mm

The objective clear aperture dimensions a 25mm x 21.5mm

The overall width is 28mm

romeo3b2.jpg

post-40280-0-14490600-1444950049.jpg

Romeo1: The clear objective aperture (window) dimensions are approx. 28mm x 18mm, or 30 mm diagonally.

romeo1b2.jpg

post-40280-0-77051300-1444950032.jpg