Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Range Officer Operator 9mm

steviesterno

Ok so I was totally not going to blow any gun money and keep saving for an STI. But, Springfield came out with a Range Officer Operator, basically a railed and Novak sight version of the ro. I want one pretty badly for range fun and HD. And maybe competitions where capacity isn't an issue. Anybody get one yet? Thoughts?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: The Range Officer Operator in 9mm are going for $850 or so. I can do a lot for $550 to that gun to make it better than the Lipsey's one. The Lipsey one does look good and has some good features but I would start with the RO Operator as a base gun. I am trying to find out if the Operator will make weight but no one I know has one to weight it for me. I may get one to play with. Thanks, Eric

I have a Ro 9mm I just had done I have a adjustable rear sight tuned mags front slide serations tool steel parts and a fiber fs I have the same as the lipseys operator into to it minus the front strap checker and rail color it's definitely a toss up this is the second ro I've done now the only benefit I see is doing it the way that best suits you I guess. Mine meets the weight also it had a svi trigger and Dawson magwell with plastic mainspring housing so it's a single stack legal gun.

Edited by chadxr650

Hello: A guy on another forum weighted his RO operator with mag. It came in at 48ozs. Looks like Tri-topping and maybe some metal out of the frame as well. Thanks, Eric

Eric I'm following that thread, too. Looks like with a little tai-topping it should make weight, and the rail out front and light slide should give it a good, almost limited gun feel. Not that 9mm in a full steel gun is that sharp to begin with.

I don't know why but all of a sudden I'm wanting one of these. Maybe buy a 2011 frame and build it to work with this top end, so I would have a single stack and double stack option set up the same, depending on the game. or is that just crazy talk?

really wanting an STI double stack in 9mm, but can't stomach the cost. it's really $1200 extra bucks to get double the rounds? that seems nuts to me.

I have the ROC in aluminum and had the slide tri topped. it might be my favorite gun to shoot at the moment. Light, little recoil, surprisingly accurate. Shot a perfect score on my CHL with it. the instructor made me open my group up a little bit because the 3 yard target just had one hole in it.

Hello: A guy on another forum weighted his RO operator with mag. It came in at 48ozs. Looks like Tri-topping and maybe some metal out of the frame as well. Thanks, Eric

Eric I'm following that thread, too. Looks like with a little tai-topping it should make weight, and the rail out front and light slide should give it a good, almost limited gun feel. Not that 9mm in a full steel gun is that sharp to begin with.

I don't know why but all of a sudden I'm wanting one of these. Maybe buy a 2011 frame and build it to work with this top end, so I would have a single stack and double stack option set up the same, depending on the game. or is that just crazy talk?

really wanting an STI double stack in 9mm, but can't stomach the cost. it's really $1200 extra bucks to get double the rounds? that seems nuts to me.

I have the ROC in aluminum and had the slide tri topped. it might be my favorite gun to shoot at the moment. Light, little recoil, surprisingly accurate. Shot a perfect score on my CHL with it. the instructor made me open my group up a little bit because the 3 yard target just had one hole in it.

Check out SPS. I have a Pantera, very nice. I know they are shipping in 9mm.

Maybe buy a 2011 frame and build it to work with this top end, so I would have a single stack and double stack option set up the same, depending on the game. or is that just crazy talk?

I have a 2011 and 1911 frame that share the same 9mm slide top end. In 2011 configuration it is my 3-gun pistol and in 1911 it is what I shoot in USPSA SSD. It was a project(s) that evolved over time which helped to spread the cost out. Local gunsmith set up both frames to work with the same slide.

• 4 weeks later...

Rails can add weight up front, which some people like me prefer. Some of us also use our competition guns for more than just competitions. My 3 gun M&P is also my HD gun. 24 rounds of ammo, good trigger, I have a lot of practice with it, and it has a good light on it when it's bedside.

I think this is one of the only railed 1911s I've seen under a grand.

Pick up a mag like Shotgun News, you'll see 12 different flavors, rails are old news on 1911s and definitely aren't reserved for expensive ones.

Edited by KSwift

Hello: There is no way a stock RO Operator in 9mm weights 41ozs with empty mag. I just carved up a Para single stack in 9mm with rail and had to take weight out of the frame and slide to make the 43oz limit. Not sure how much could be taken out of the operator under the grip. I would like to take a look at one to see what could be done. Thanks, Eric

Pick up a mag like Shotgun News, you'll see 12 different flavors, rails are old news on 1911s and definitely aren't reserved for expensive ones.

sorry, I meant decent 1911s with rails. Kimber is out, Colt I won't buy and it's $900 I think, and that leaves what, RIA?

also really hard to get 9mm 1911s it seems currently. all the STI options are Trojan and nicer, and the Springfields have been loaded or better.

My thought is that a 9mm 1911 is an absolutely terrible choice for home defense. I wish they'd up-scale the EMP to full size; I'd buy that in a minute! I will take mine with a rail and steel frame in 5" and aluminum 4.25 without rail for a little bigger carry gun than the 3". The latter they already make in 4" as of this year; here's to hoping they come out with a steel frame 5" soon!

Edited by twodownzero

The 9mm vs .40 vs .45 debate on lethality has been busted for quite some time. Get some good Hornady critical defense or Win PDX and you are good to go. Shot placement is what matters far more than size of the flying lead. Plenty of bad guys have taken multiple .45's and kept on doing what bad guys do. The "stopping power" is BS also. :cheers:. But at the OP, nice guns for sure. My buddy just got one in .45 and it shot great. Took a few hundred rounds for it to loosen up enough to run reliably, but after that it was spot on.

Edited by Nebwake