Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW: Walther Q5 Match - New awesome production guns showing up everywh

EngineerEli

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I played with one setup like that at the last match. It’s noticeably better than the Home Depot spring. However, I still prefer the factory spring and trigger. It’s cleaner, and you’ll shoot the same size group at 25yd or the same bill drill either way.

I chased 4 different trigger kits in my original G34. APEX’d the hell out of an M&P at 2.75lbs. Then ran $350 worth of aftermarket parts in a Tanfoglio with a 2.1lb trigger as short and clean as a 1911.

Compared to the Q5? I shoot them all the same. Leave the trigger alone and shoot/dryfire the gun as often as you can.

can't argue with that logic ,  I went ahead and ordered those springs Britin linked.  The easy access to to spring makes it too tempting lol.. But i too will most likely revert back to stock if it seems too mushy.  This is a winter project i'm assembling parts for , still shooting my Tanfo Limited Custom to finish out the season. 

thanks for the help! 

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, jayjay1 said:

Same weapon, another topic:

Is someone having experience with a reduced recoil spring?

You should read the whole thread, there’s a whole page on that.

Short version:

Walther claims it has an 11lb spring. They’re wrong, it’s 17ish pounds. I tested it.

I’ve running a 13 pound flat wire spring for a 1911 / Glock / M&P (all three were basically identical) on a custom-turned guide rod, and it’s about right. Much smoother than factory with minor PF ammo.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

32 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

You should read the whole thread, there’s a whole page on that.

Short version:

Walther claims it has an 11lb spring. They’re wrong, it’s 17ish pounds. I tested it.

I’ve running a 13 pound flat wire spring for a 1911 / Glock / M&P (all three were basically identical) on a custom-turned guide rod, and it’s about right. Much smoother than factory with minor PF ammo.

Any word on anybody making guide rods for the Q5 in Tungsten?

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Walther already has done so from what I’ve heard from my contact there. Question is when they’ll feel they’re ready to be added to the website for purchase.

So, are you gonna be wearing a team Walther jersey this year?

31 minutes ago, LeviSS said:

So, are you gonna be wearing a team Walther jersey this year?

No. I went through my “gotta wear a jersey! Any jersey!” phase around 2011-12, thanks.

These days I’d rather just wear whatever unless they’re actually paying me. I’m done wearing logos in return for a few % off on gear, which is all your local jersey-whores are actually getting...

...And I’m hilariously short of being good enough to get paid.

Thanks for all of the info in this thread, guys.  I've been intrigued by the Q5 and the Canik TP9SFX since they came out, and especially since I got bit by the CO bug a few weeks ago.  I planned on trying to find them both locally to check out, then a Q5 fell into my lap today.  I'm looking forward to getting it in my hands to see how I like it.

On 9/20/2017 at 9:21 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Ditch the triangle and run the 2.5moa version of the Deltapoint with its insanely bright dot.

I’m running the 2.5. A few buddies have the triangle and are now considering switching.

With regard to backup irons? Don’t bother. Spend time in dryfire and life fire and you’ll learn to present the gun with the dot ready and waiting.

Comp gun and carry gun:

IMG_7680.JPG.83021a732e5136699dc8508acb5a3788.JPGIMG_7681.thumb.JPG.c44126afab4d44ae24ebe865b88b2121.JPG

I am not ditching the triangle as I like it but I agree completely about the co-witness sights.  I shot a lot better today and did not have any "hunting".

I shot at a local USPSA match today with two different recoil spring set-ups for fun.

A proto type single rod from ZR Tactical Solutions with a 13lb Wilson Combat Flat Wire

A Recoil Reduction System from Sprinco with a white spring.

Both performed well with no issue with my 130-ish ammo. They made a definite difference in recoil impulse and the behavior of the muzzle. 

The ZR Tactical single rod - since it is a prototype and they made a non-captured rod from a captured version in a hurry, the rod had a rough surface on it so there is grinding between the rod and the spring as the flat wire catches the roughness but that did not affect the function. The recoil impulse was a little harder compared with the Sprinco but not harsh at all. It felt good in fact. They are making a new one for me with a smooth finish. The cost would be around $50~60.

The Sprinco - I really like its impulse. It felt like the gun had a polymer buffer in it. I really like it. I am a big fan of KISS and prefer a single rod solution but I might keep using this thing until it fails.

With both set-ups, the slide was kind of 'sloppy' at battery. When I reload hard, the slide oscillates a bit. I was concerned about that but I did not have any malfunction during today's match.

On 8/27/2017 at 3:38 PM, BritinUSA said:

With the Taran Tactical base pads I can get 22. It is possible to jam 23 in there but there is so much pressure from that top round that I had issues cycling the slide.

Typically I will only put 20 rounds in the magazine unless there is a stage setup where I can use a better plan if I start with 22 in the gun.

On 8/27/2017 at 8:03 PM, BritinUSA said:

Grams follower/spring for Sig 320. I had to trim the follower so it would not hang up on the slide release. I also bent up the bottom coil so it's flat against the inside of the base pad. 

11 Coil

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Grams-SpringFollower-Kit-Springfield-Sig-Sauer-P320P250-P4544.aspx

I’m running factory pads for Production right now. Will switch to Springer’s 3/8” longer pad eventually because PPQ mags are *short.*

I use the above kit (TTI extensions and grams P320 guts) for a boringly reliable, reloadable 23+1 in Carry Optics. Aside from the slide not locking back it works 100% like a factory hicap mag.

(The P320 slide-stop ledge on the follower is in the wrong place, so you have to dremel it off.)

50 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I’m running factory pads for Production right now. Will switch to Springer’s 3/8” longer pad eventually because PPQ mags are *short.*

I use the above kit (TTI extensions and grams P320 guts) for a boringly reliable, reloadable 23+1 in Carry Optics. Aside from the slide not locking back it works 100% like a factory hicap mag.

(The P320 slide-stop ledge on the follower is in the wrong place, so you have to dremel it off.)

Got a pic of the part of the follower that you dremeled off?

25 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

No. But you simply shave off the tab that would lift the slide stop when the gun went empty and make sure that corner is nice and round. Very simple and obvious. 

Thanks!

Have a couple of questions for you guys running the Q5. I'm looking at it pretty hard but don't have any to try locally so my concerns are that long slide stop and the seemingly short grip. With the grip I have to use I lock the slide back on a XDM way too often to use one so the extra long lever on the Walther makes we wonder if I would have the same problem? The XDM has no fence around the slide stop so that's part of the problem for me. Also is the grip long enough for someone who wears 2xl gloves to get all my fingers comfortably on it? Thanks for any help.

The grip is about halfway between a G19 and G17. Hands that big are likely going to find the grip length too short and their thumbs all OVER the slide stop.

The slide stop is everywhere, and unprotected. As a wearer of size L gloves, I can flick it either with my strong or weak hand thumb, and I’m in love with it and the ease of reaching the mag button.

Go to the local gun shop that stocks Walthers and pick up an ordinary 4” PPQ. There is zero difference in the frame, controls, or trigger between that and a Q5... except that the Q5 trigger is molded from blue plastic.

On 9/14/2017 at 9:10 PM, jaep1911 said:

Many thanks Memphis!

I am going with this one

https://www.zrtacticalsolutions.com/shop/zrts-firearm-accessories/walther-ppqp99-full-length-stainless-guide-rod/

They are removing the button head that captures the spring and machining the rod to 0.250" so that I can use a 1911 (5") flat wire spring with it. $61 w/ shipping included. I ordered Wilson Combat 13lbs springs for it.

Hope this will make a difference!

To answer my own question, the guide rod shall be held by the recoil spring inside the 'tunnel' so the contact between the slide and the rod shall be nothing to worry about. 

ZR Tactical says he should have an uncaptured version out by the end of this week.