Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW: Walther Q5 Match - New awesome production guns showing up everywh

EngineerEli

On 10/15/2017 at 10:15 AM, brianr34 said:

Picked up a Q5 today.  Looking forward to using it in IDPA and possibly try USPSA.   Ordered a holster from Redhill.  

I have a question about factory ammo.  I read on here that the PPQ has a short chamber.  I typically use Blazer Brass 124 gr.   Should this ammo run fine in the PPQ.  I am out of ammo now and need to order a couple cases.  My other thought is to try AE 124 gr.  How does the AE compare to the Blazer in length and overall performance?

Might also investigate options on running 13 or 15 lb recoil spring and get thinner Dawson front sight.  

I’ve run several hundred rounds of Blazer Brass 124 through my PPQ with no issues. I did have the slide fail to go into battery during a match, but that was with an unloaded table start where I racked the slide on the move and didn’t do it hard enough — my fault, not the gun or the ammo.

I think Hwansik’s suggestion of the .210” x .100” front site is the way to go. I’m finding the factory front site a little too wide.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Planning to go with the ZR tactical guide rod turned down to 0.25" for 1911 springs for 9mm 125gr and 147gr pf loads.  The recommendation is to use either 15 or 13lb Wilson flat wire springs.  My question are the Wolff 1911 recoil springs an acceptable equal to the Wilson?  I have always used the wolf recoil springs and have the 1911 springs already on hand.

21 minutes ago, Single Stack said:

Planning to go with the ZR tactical guide rod turned down to 0.25" for 1911 springs for 9mm 125gr and 147gr pf loads.  The recommendation is to use either 15 or 13lb Wilson flat wire springs.  My question are the Wolff 1911 recoil springs an acceptable equal to the Wilson?  I have always used the wolf recoil springs and have the 1911 springs already on hand.

I read somewhere that they needed to be the flat springs vs. the wire springs. Can anyone confirm?

I think a round Wolff spring will be too small to sit properly against the forward end of the slide - it’ll probably fit through the hole. That was the problem with the round Wolff springs in an M&P, and the PPQ looks to be sized similarly.

All I can say for certain is that a Wilson 13lb flat spring (or an ISMI 13lb flat spring for an M&P) run the Q5 perfectly.

21 hours ago, Single Stack said:

I can check later but my layman's concern is that those 'conventional round recoil wires' have an open end and it might be an issue with the shallow recoil spring tunnel on the Q5. Just my suspect though. On the other hand, the flat wire recoil springs have closed ends and they should sit flat/ square inside the tunnel and that might be what we need. Dunno. Even the spring on the Sprinco set has a closed end although it is a round wire spring.

Another potential issue might be a compressed height (if that makes sense) due to the larger diameter of the round coil spring. You may need to cut one short for a full slide travel. Dunno.

Will be back later.

Shot my Q5 for the first time today.   I tried Blazer and AE 124gr and I liked the AE better.  Seem to have slightly less recoil and shooting was more consistent.   Normally I run Blazer but think I will pick up a case of AE and see how it works.  

I think I will order a guide rod from ZR Tactical and try 13lb and 15lb springs.   

Liked the adjustable rear sight.  Easy to get POA=POI.  I would also like a little deeper notch on the rear sight like what I saw Memphis do, but stock is not too bad.  

Will be using the Q5 at the end of the month in an IDPA match.  

On 10/18/2017 at 12:07 AM, Single Stack said:

Sorry it took a long for me to get back but I have been waiting for a revised rod from ZR Tactical and just received it today. Here is a comparison.

I do not believe that the 1911 round spring is ideal with teh ZRT rod because the inner diameter of the spring is too large. See the photos below - one with the round wire and the other is with the flat wire. Unless we use a plug that holds the rod centered, the rod can be offset within the spring. I do not know if that is a problem functionally but I would avoid that myself.

I have been shooting with a Sprinco and really like its recoil impulse under 135-ish PF. Its CON is that the WHITE first stage spring might be a bit too weak and the slide is sloppy at battery. There is not much force to hold the slide in place at battery and as I reload, the slide oscillate a bit. I believe that I had a FTF because of that at one stage this past weekend. A stronger spring (RED?) might be better for sure.

In contrast, the combo of the ZRT rod and the flat wire spring (13lbs) has a higher force at the battery and it feels right. The increase in spring force feels more linear, compared to that of the Sprinco (of course) but I can feel that the slide is hitting the frame (somewhere) at the end of the slide travel as I rack the slide hard. This combo makes some squeaky noise due to the flat wire spring sliding on the rod. I wonder if that affects the life of the flat wire spring.

I will shoot with both soon and choose one that I like but at least there are options out there.

Cheers

EDIT: Just exchanged emails with SPRINCO and was told that their YELLOW spring is one between White and Red. A bit stronger than the white. I ordered a couple.

IMG_2794.JPG

IMG_2795.JPG

IMG_2789.JPG

IMG_2792.JPG

IMG_2796.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG

Edited by jaep1911

4 hours ago, jaep1911 said:

Sorry it took a long for me to get back but I have been waiting for a revised rod from ZR Tactical and just received it today. Here is a comparison.

I do not believe that the 1911 round spring is ideal with teh ZRT rod because the inner diameter of the spring is too large. See the photos below - one with the round wire and the other is with the flat wire. Unless we use a plug that holds the rod centered, the rod can be offset within the spring. I do not know if that is a problem functionally but I would avoid that myself.

I have been shooting with a Sprinco and really like its recoil impulse under 135-ish PF. Its CON is that the WHITE first stage spring might be a bit too weak and the slide is sloppy at battery. There is not much force to hold the slide in place at battery and as I reload, the slide oscillate a bit. I believe that I had a FTF because of that at one stage this past weekend. A stronger spring (RED?) might be better for sure.

In contrast, the combo of the ZRT rod and the flat wire spring (13lbs) has a higher force at the battery and it feels right. The increase in spring force feels more linear, compared to that of the Sprinco (of course) but I can feel that the slide is hitting the frame (somewhere) at the end of the slide travel as I rack the slide hard. This combo makes some squeaky noise due to the flat wire spring sliding on the rod. I wonder if that affects the life of the flat wire spring.

I will shoot with both soon and choose one that I like but at least there are options out there.

Cheers

EDIT: Just exchanged emails with SPRINCO and was told that their YELLOW spring is one between White and Red. A bit stronger than the white. I ordered a couple.

IMG_2794.JPG

IMG_2795.JPG

IMG_2789.JPG

IMG_2792.JPG

IMG_2796.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

IMG_2791.JPG

Do you know the weight of the Springco and or the ZT with the flat spring?

Thanks

20 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

https://ssguiderods.com/shop/walther-ppq-m2-stainless-steel-guide-rod/

03CB1ABA-C957-44CD-A947-30832C87C498.thumb.jpeg.bb88fa4724dcdd6883ff3d55315b12f3.jpeg

This is with the 13lb Wilson-Combat flatwire spring. 

The captured is much easier to install in the gun. I might try it one day. I am happy there are at least a few options out there for internal mod.

20 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

https://ssguiderods.com/shop/walther-ppq-m2-stainless-steel-guide-rod/

03CB1ABA-C957-44CD-A947-30832C87C498.thumb.jpeg.bb88fa4724dcdd6883ff3d55315b12f3.jpeg

This is with the 13lb Wilson-Combat flatwire spring. 

I probably missed it in the last few pages...is this a government length spring?

Ha ha ha...I just saw the pic above.  Dumb question answered. 

Edited by deerslayer

Wear eye protection in case something flies off.

Put one end in the vice, loosen the screw (it had some loctite on it so I heated it for a little bit first). One the screw is loosened then push the spring down (wear a glove) and finish removing the screw. 

Installation; put the new spring on, apply some blue loctite to the screw. Compress the spring (again with the glove), put the washer on then the screw and tighten it. Wipe off excess loctite. Let it harden for a few hours and drop it back in the gun..

Edited by BritinUSA