Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW: Walther Q5 Match - New awesome production guns showing up everywh

EngineerEli

47 minutes ago, bulm540 said:

How did your first match go with the walther?

I had one failure to extract, which I am not worried about yet: the gun isn't broken in and I fed it a hodgepodge of leftover ammo. I had three reshoots that burned 20-30 rounds a piece due range equipment malfunctions, and ran out of the good stuff.

This video is chock full of mental mistakes: pressed for time, I showed up late and shot straight through. I shot everything except stage 1 & 2 as the very first shooter, and after only a short glance at the stage. I forgot a target. I went to slide-lock once or twice... basically, I had fun and just wanted to run the new gun. :D 

I like it. A lot. It shoots a lot like a G34 but I suspect it's a pinch snappier. Love the trigger to death: I'm leaving the factory springs and such alone. Ergonomics are astonishingly perfect for my hands, as a lefty.

I'm selling a decked out Tanfoglio Stock 3, M&P 9L, and Glock 34 this week... and picking up a 4" PPQ as a carry gun and backup to the Q5.

Also, look for me in Carry Optics soon. ;) 

Match video from a Production A class stumbling blindly into each stage:

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh and I shot it with and without the 13lb recoil spring. Definitely going to run the 13lb spring - I like the way the sights track a lot more than the heavier factory spring, and the one jam I had wasn't the fault of the lighter spring. The gun was fully in battery when I had a failure to extract.

14 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I had one failure to extract, which I am not worried about yet: the gun isn't broken in and I fed it a hodgepodge of leftover ammo. I had three reshoots that burned 20-30 rounds a piece due range equipment malfunctions, and ran out of the good stuff.

This video is chock full of mental mistakes: pressed for time, I showed up late and shot straight through. I shot everything except stage 1 & 2 as the very first shooter, and after only a short glance at the stage. I forgot a target. I went to slide-lock once or twice... basically, I had fun and just wanted to run the new gun. :D 

I like it. A lot. It shoots a lot like a G34 but I suspect it's a pinch snappier. Love the trigger to death: I'm leaving the factory springs and such alone. Ergonomics are astonishingly perfect for my hands, as a lefty.

I'm selling a decked out Tanfoglio Stock 3, M&P 9L, and Glock 34 this week... and picking up a 4" PPQ as a carry gun and backup to the Q5.

Also, look for me in Carry Optics soon. ;) 

Match video from a Production A class stumbling blindly into each stage:

How Do you like the impulse of the gun compared to your stock 3?  BTW, the Gun looks flat. 

Edited by bulm540

The gun recoils like a 26oz plastic gun: much snappier than a 40+ oz Stock II or Stock III... but it does shoot flat with a 13lb spring.

Just like a Glock. Or an M&P. Or a P320. 

I really like the way it handles, the ergonomics are unbeatable for a lefty, and it shoots as well as a 34 or the like, and at least for me is noticeably more accurate. Maybe as accurate at the Tanfo... but I only shot one group through it and it was only 15-20yd.

Metal guns are more stable, lighter guns are faster across an array that requires wide aggressive transitions. It all evens out, and we get it in our heads that this isn't true because:

1. Guys like to tinker with machines.

2. Grass is always greener.

3. Because marketing.

Pick your gun and shoot it. If you don't want to tinker, the Q5 is your gun. Recoil spring. Front sight. Polish. Grip tape. Add fifteen thousand rounds in hard practice. Dryfire like mad. Make GM.

Is the trigger on the PPQ about the same as the Q5 or is the Q5 that much better?

I know finding a Q5 locally is going to be tough, so I want to know if I can get the gist of what the Q5 would be by handling the PPQ.  I know I've seen those around.

MM - If you were right handed would you like it just as much?

Edited by LeviSS

I haven't handled a regular PPQ. I'll own one for carry use in a week or so, though, since they're $100 off via mail in rebate before September 15th. ;) 

As a righty I'd still love the gun for its feel, and being the most "do not shift grip to reload" gun on earth... but others do it for a righty as well. It's really rare for lefties.

My hands mainly just feel like the PPQ was built to fit them. Only the Tanfoglio grip has felt this comfortable, and well... I sold that gun yesterday. Seems I really do like the Q5.

On 8/23/2017 at 3:22 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Chamber length was brought up: "does this gun have a short chamber?"

YES. Yes it does.

Made up a variety of dummy rounds. Maximum lengths that will chamber without the bullet ending up in the lands:

I have a variety of dummies I cooked up of each of these loaded at 1.100" ... 1.110"... 1.120"... etc. My findings:

125 TC Black Bullets Int'l.

Max length 1.120" (fails at 1.125")

124gr Acme RN.

Max length 1.108"-1.115" (Failed 1.122")

135gr Black Bullets Int'l.

Max length 1.130" (Failed 1.135")

147gr Precision Delta FMJ.

Max length 1.125" (Failed 1.130")

150gr Bayou SWC.

Max length 1.100" (Failed 1.115")

I noticed the length issue too. I gave it the credit of running at 1.13.

However on Unload show clear, I noticed the live round would kind of nick the bullet on the way out. Im not at 1.12. The 1.13 didnt give me issues in about 600 rounds but better safe than sorry.

16 minutes ago, praetorian97 said:

I noticed the length issue too. I gave it the credit of running at 1.13.

However on Unload show clear, I noticed the live round would kind of nick the bullet on the way out. Im not at 1.12. The 1.13 didnt give me issues in about 600 rounds but better safe than sorry.

My friend, it doesn't work like that. OAL is highly specific to the precise bullet you're shooting: You can load a 115gr PD FMJ in this gun to 1.165" and be just fine, while a fat round nosed 124 needs to be down around 1.100" to feed in the same barrel.

So unless you tell us what bullet you were shooting... "I load at 1.130" is absolutely meaningless. ;) 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:54 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Good to know - the website lists the TTI basepads at +5 which means I was expecting to only get to load 20.  That would be a big capacity disadvantage for the Walther versus other platforms. But you're actually getting +7 or +8... Great! Factory follower and mag spring?

I run a Taylor Freelance +6 for stage starts for 3-gun and it has worked flawless. I usually barney one and get 22 to start.

Have you thought about doing the "home depot trigger job"? A fellow IDPA shooter sent me the spring and my PPQ 4" for CCP now comes in at 2.5lbs. Got about 2k with it including using it at the Rockcastle Pro-Am and local matches.

Thanks for the info on Red Hill Tactical. I'll be using my Q5 much more after IDPA nationals and looks like a good option.

Edited by PokerNGuns

37 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Is the TF basepad under the 140mm limit, or is that a "3 gun only" kind of piece?

Hadn't heard about the HD trigger job. ;)

TF advertises as 140mm for USPSA limited, but I have not verified this.

Here is a couple links for trigger job. Quick and easy just change one spring. My PPQ M2 4" is setup with the 2.5lb trigger, springco recoil system, talon grips, and I've been running 147gn at about 130pf. I've really enjoyed shooting it this year and getting away from manual safety. #YearofTheWalther

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/37251-ppq-m2-trigger-job.html

https://lanzerbot.wordpress.com/2016/02/13/ppq-trigger-mod-to-3-5-pound/

3 hours ago, PokerNGuns said:

Have you thought about doing the "home depot trigger job"? A fellow IDPA shooter sent me the spring and my PPQ 4" for CCP now comes in at 2.5lbs.

Spent $5 at Home Depot tonight...

Before:

IMG_7076.JPG.f016cf3105038d289d17950f1a2d1ff2.JPG

Selected a suitable spring from the Home Depot assortment ($5)

IMG_7077.thumb.JPG.1a4397ea24f579e1c19cf01436926ae0.JPG

After:

IMG_7075.thumb.JPG.344155e18dc47be55f7a30eb8086bbd9.JPG

Dryfired it for 10 minutes. Put the factory spring back in to compare, and immediately tossed the springs aside for another project. I dislike how vague and mushy the trigger got - the Q5 has perhaps the cleanest break & reset of any plastic gun. I value that more than a lighter pull. I see why @hwansikcjswo has left his gun alone, now.

I'm keeping the stock springs.

25 minutes ago, PokerNGuns said:

Dang, sorry it didn't work out for you.

It's a matter of personal preference. That's all.

I had a Vanek and two other $$$ trigger kits in my G34 in my "shooting IDPA and buying speed" days... eventually was SSP/MA and USPSA B class with the gun bone stock minus the recoil spring and an overtravel stop.

I don't mind 4 pounds of trigger if it's a good clean 4 pounds... and the Walther is exceptional for a plastic gun.

Didn't like how shallow the sight picture is. I ordered the Dawson's for the regular PPQ and discovered that the LPA rear has a unique dovetail and they wouldn't work.

Dawson sight picture:

IMG_7193.thumb.JPG.fa54ec79ddadfdca7cbef338be304ea8.JPG

Soooo I made another trip over to my buddy's house, and milled .030" out of the bottom of the notch. I'll be running this with a .190-.195 Dawson front when I'm not shooting carry optics.

Note the two ledges in the bottom of the rear notch:IMG_7214.JPG.3345a79c990f5f25a870ad7346f4eadf.JPG

Annnnd gone:

IMG_7215.thumb.JPG.4c5660ea125a2d82da2fddf3e9a3aa2c.JPG

The rear sight, along with the facts that I wanted a second pistol for Production and the Walther rebate doesn't include the Q5, prompted me to purchase a 5" PPQ yesterday to back up my Q5. The regular PPQ will likely end up being the primary Production gun with the Q5 relegated to backup status and the occasional Carry Optics flirtation.

On 8/28/2017 at 9:14 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Oh and I shot it with and without the 13lb recoil spring. Definitely going to run the 13lb spring - I like the way the sights track a lot more than the heavier factory spring, and the one jam I had wasn't the fault of the lighter spring. The gun was fully in battery when I had a failure to extract.

Is the magwell easily reloadable ?

18 minutes ago, Jeff O said:

Is the magwell easily reloadable ?

It is with a few kisses from a Dremel. Just like with the M&P or P320, I don't see why all these manufacturers insist on putting such sharp square edges on the frame opening.

The gun reloads as easily as any plastic gun (aka much better than CZ or Tanfo) and very, very well if you round off the magwell's inner lip. Before anyone starts with the "illegal mod" stuff... that's not what was specifically permitted by DNROI when myself and a SIG guy wrote him and asked.