Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW: Walther Q5 Match - New awesome production guns showing up everywh

EngineerEli

Thanks.

PS. No debating the Indian/Arrow thing, just weird coincidence. Finally got the stock 2 to matches this weekend & set a personal best in classifier score & maybe in match points, not sure about the latter. 

Edited by IHAVEGAS

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, tattooo said:

Man that is a nice production offering, hopefully one if my LGS's have one to fondle

I wasn't planning to buy one yesterday. Just find a shop with an ordinary PPQ to see how it fit me. Two shops had none when I called. At shop #3 though?

"Do you have a Walther PPQ in stock?"

"Several, yes."

"Do you have a 5 inch, by any chance?"

"We have that new one with the blue trigger."

"I am on the way there!"

Picked it up and it pointed right where the Tanfoglio did, the grip fit me perfectly, and the controls are where I instinctively want them to be:

"I'll take it."

Now I have RedHill rushing me a holster body, and a Dawson sight, Talon griptape, and 3 more mags all on their way. :D 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I wasn't planning to buy one yesterday. Just find a shop with an ordinary PPQ to see how it fit me. Two shops had none when I called. At shop #3 though?

"Several, yes."
"I am on the way there!"

Picked it up and it pointed right where the Tanfoglio did, the grip fit me perfectly, and the controls are where I instinctively want them to be:

"I'll take it."

Now I have RedHill rushing me a holster body, and a Dawson sight, Talon griptape, and 3 more mags all on their way. [emoji3] 

Very nice choice, congrats on your new addition !

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

"Several, yes."

"I am on the way there!"

"I'll take it."

Now I have RedHill rushing me a holster body, and a Dawson sight, Talon griptape, and 3 more mags all on their way. :D 

I've found your Tanfoglio videos most useful.  I too picked up a Q5 (in trade).  So far I like it better than any other plastic pistol save my HK USP .45.

Chamber length was brought up: "does this gun have a short chamber?"

YES. Yes it does.

Made up a variety of dummy rounds. Maximum lengths that will chamber without the bullet ending up in the lands:

I have a variety of dummies I cooked up of each of these loaded at 1.100" ... 1.110"... 1.120"... etc. My findings:

125 TC Black Bullets Int'l.

Max length 1.120" (fails at 1.125")

124gr Acme RN.

Max length 1.108"-1.115" (Failed 1.122")

135gr Black Bullets Int'l.

Max length 1.130" (Failed 1.135")

147gr Precision Delta FMJ.

Max length 1.125" (Failed 1.130")

150gr Bayou SWC.

Max length 1.100" (Failed 1.115")

26 minutes ago, JusticeOfToren said:

I heard the TP9 SFX is slightly better than the Q5 out of box in various aspects.  Have you tried it?  I contemplated switching from Stock 2 to the SFX for a while.  

Looking at one for carry optics. 

Trigger started at a crisp 5 pounds even:

IMG_6847.thumb.JPG.f63ad8713f909e80d71e91ea5e42ef2e.JPG

Tore her down to every individual part before so much as firing it once. The PPQ has an odd action: a hook shaped sear is propped up by a kickstand, of sorts. The trigger bar knocks that out from underneath the sear, and allows it to pivot downward and trip the striker.

An aggressive polish of the sear, trigger bar, the leg on the striker that engages the sear, and the firing pin block really made this trigger exceptional: 4.25lbs without any modifications. I have no plans to further tinker with the internals beyond a change in recoil spring weight.

IMG_6839.thumb.JPG.d7e21a114554b8e49dbd306f6863553d.JPG

IMG_6846.thumb.JPG.cc7c8371e3a83598526c76ff12543878.JPG

IMG_6840.thumb.JPG.774632a312d2ed62b60331827a2fc5ed.JPG

And now she's ready for the match this weekend:

IMG_6842.thumb.JPG.62809b95aac3bfe605c0a29695a0bf05.JPG

7 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

http://ssguiderods.com/shop/walther-ppq-m2-stainless-steel-guide-rod/

It comes with a 17lb which is close to factory, Wilson 1911 flat wire springs will fit it.

Thanks! Just ordered a 13 and 15 lb Wilson flat spring. I have a machinist buddy at work looking for time to turn me a SS guide rod later today. Uncaptured and 3/4" longer than the factory one to make installation easy, should be pretty straightforward.

Red Hill Tactical delivered my rush-order holster for the gun right on time. With the standard spacers in the BOSS hanger, it's 1-7/8" from the inner belt. Despite the one image that makes it look more like 4" away.

Fits like a glove, no rocking at all even when it's loose - because it's wrapped around the slide releases on both sides. That's an improvement over past holster bodies for other makes.

Match #1 happens tomorrow, and I'll live fire for the first time just before it starts.

IMG_6930.thumb.JPG.d5a8a457ae474b2c57fc15bae5e3b3c9.JPGIMG_6931.thumb.JPG.314edc53aca6631f1dfd2a30536484ee.JPG

How does the gun reload compared to the Tanfo?  

That's one thing that drives me nuts about Tanfo...I could reload my CZ about as good, and it didn't have a magwell.  I've had a hard time overcoming it.

Is the grip texture good?

Does anyone know how many rounds a 140mm mag will hold?

I haven't found the Q5 locally.  Is the feel of the gun close to the PPQ?

PPQ and the Q5 are the exact same frame - like a G17 and G34. Same mags.

The grip is a pinch shorter than most guns and thus the mags are only 15rds. I actually really like this because the outward flare on the front of the grip acts like a Limited gun with a magwell - it forces your hand up high against the trigger guard into an extremely high grip.

I did some massaging of the magwell with a dremel and it loads as fast as my M&P - my Tanfo got similar treatment, but I was never as fast loading it as I am with polymer. The first dryfire session with the Q5 caused me to pick up some speed.

Grip got some Talon grip tape before I ever shot it. I don't think any gun comes with enough traction and all of mine get stippling or skate tape.

I'm buying a Deltapoint and two 140mm extensions as soon as I get paid for the Tanfo - I'll let you know how the capacity works out.

With the Taran Tactical base pads I can get 22. It is possible to jam 23 in there but there is so much pressure from that top round that I had issues cycling the slide.

Typically I will only put 20 rounds in the magazine unless there is a stage setup where I can use a better plan if I start with 22 in the gun.

4 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

With the Taran Tactical base pads I can get 22. It is possible to jam 23 in there but there is so much pressure from that top round that I had issues cycling the slide.

Typically I will only put 20 rounds in the magazine unless there is a stage setup where I can use a better plan if I start with 22 in the gun.

Good to know - the website lists the TTI basepads at +5 which means I was expecting to only get to load 20.  That would be a big capacity disadvantage for the Walther versus other platforms. But you're actually getting +7 or +8... Great! Factory follower and mag spring?

Grams follower/spring for Sig 320. I had to trim the follower so it would not hang up on the slide release. I also bent up the bottom coil so it's flat against the inside of the base pad. 

11 Coil

https://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/Grams-SpringFollower-Kit-Springfield-Sig-Sauer-P320P250-P4544.aspx

Edited by BritinUSA

On 8/26/2017 at 9:34 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

Red Hill Tactical delivered my rush-order holster for the gun right on time. With the standard spacers in the BOSS hanger, it's 1-7/8" from the inner belt. Despite the one image that makes it look more like 4" away.

Fits like a glove, no rocking at all even when it's loose - because it's wrapped around the slide releases on both sides. That's an improvement over past holster bodies for other makes.

Match #1 happens tomorrow, and I'll live fire for the first time just before it starts.

IMG_6930.thumb.JPG.d5a8a457ae474b2c57fc15bae5e3b3c9.JPGIMG_6931.thumb.JPG.314edc53aca6631f1dfd2a30536484ee.JPG

How did your first match go with the walther?