Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW: Walther Q5 Match - New awesome production guns showing up everywh

EngineerEli

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Jeff O said:

ZR Tactical says he should have an uncaptured version out by the end of this week.

Yes Sir. That is my understanding. The proto type had a rough finish on it as they turned their captured version down to reduce the diameter to 0.25" and due to the flutes on the rod, the tools seemed to have chattered.

I am looking forward to a new version.

On 5.3.2017 at 11:28 PM, BritinUSA said:

Stainless steel guide rod and 15lb Wilson flat wire 1911 spring for me. I also have the Sprinco but I like the captured spring setup better. 

Dear ladies and gents,

is it the original Walther steel guide rod, which Brit is here talking about?

And another question:

Brass is widened in the rear.

There is a small stripe at the case mouth, let´s say 1/8 of an inch long, which holds the diameter.

But from there to the rear, the case is blown up more.

You really can see a step with the bare eye.

Is that normal?

4 hours ago, jayjay1 said:

Dear ladies and gents,

is it the original Walther steel guide rod, which Brit is here talking about?

No

https://ssguiderods.com/shop/walther-ppq-m2-stainless-steel-guide-rod/

4 hours ago, jayjay1 said:

And another question:

Brass is widened in the rear.

Is that normal?

Yes. I use starline brass and reload the cases over and over until I lose them. Its not an issue.

4 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

Brit, where are the like and subscribe - buttons inhere?

Great infos here bro, thank you!

:bow:

To give a bit back, I emailed with the Mastershop of Walther in Germany, asking about the snappy and recoil challenge of the Q5.

Mr.  Schulzendorf told me, that Walther USA will release a tungsten guide rod for the Q5 soon, MSRP will be 119 bucks.

:ph34r:

Edited by jayjay1

1 hour ago, Gviz said:

Hi guys my friend just got the zr tactical guide rod captured and a Wilson flat spring for the 1911 how do you put this together? We are stuck lol pls help thanks in advance 

29 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

It won’t fit. It’s designed for the factory spring not 1911 springs. 

yeah, the rod needs to be turned down to 0.250" to use a 1911 flat wire spring with it. They made a non-captured version for me by removing the stop and sliming the rod. They are working on an improved version now so it would be available soon. You may contact them (Zach) about it.

This is what he said "Our rod is the same diameter as the factory rod, 0.287"..... We can machine it to be .25" and it will fit a flatwire 1911 spring."

4 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

The stainless steel guide rod will work with the 1911 recoil springs. 

Is that a zr tactical part? Which part number is that? Pls share link so I can order thanks in advance. 

I keep looking at these, but I'm reading several posts on forums about ftf's and double feeds.  Customer service seems kinda sketchy, too.  Looked like Hwansik had a problem or two with his at nationals.  Makes me nervous, but it's probably like searching symptoms in WebMD...you start thinking the worst.

It has a pretty short chamber, so it's likely not going to eat everything that your 34 will. I haven't had mine long enough to have any malfunctions so I'm no authority on its reliability. The only two stoppages I experienced were from my high grip pushing the slide catch lever enough to lock the slide back. 

Likewise, I had a nene G34 that took some work to get running reliably and a new M&P that had to go back to S&W a couple of times to get it running past a single magazine. Like rolling the dice I guess. 

:)

I noticed Hwansik's malfunctions and know he was shooting factory ammo. Could have been the gun, but my guess is that he didn't clean his magazines out and they gummed up from the talc like dirt there. I shot a few squads back from him and noticed the same thing with my  mags. I had to take them apart and clean them repeatedly to keep them going. I think he must have figured it out because he only had malfunctions that one day IIRC. That dirt was brutal. 

Picked up a Q5 today.  Looking forward to using it in IDPA and possibly try USPSA.   Ordered a holster from Redhill.  

I have a question about factory ammo.  I read on here that the PPQ has a short chamber.  I typically use Blazer Brass 124 gr.   Should this ammo run fine in the PPQ.  I am out of ammo now and need to order a couple cases.  My other thought is to try AE 124 gr.  How does the AE compare to the Blazer in length and overall performance?

Might also investigate options on running 13 or 15 lb recoil spring and get thinner Dawson front sight.