Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

retrieving brass in grass

kfin

Living in the country I have the advantage of being able to walk out my door to shoot when I want. It is great except for trying to retrieve my brass. Rifle brass, all of mine are bolt, is no problem but the 9mm and 45 acp.....not so much. I really don't like spending the time it takes to find 75% of them each time. For those of you who shoot on grass, how do you find it?

I have been doing a bit of research and the Brass Magnet seems to be an awesome deal except for the price. Wow....$160 plus $18 shipping to get a 8' x 12' mesh tarp with some weights on the side. Great concept. I have tried the regular tarps but living on a hill, the wind is always an issue. I see some people use mesh tarps from Harbor Freight and so forth but again you would have to cart weights around to keep it from taking off. There are a bunch of resourceful people on here....so how do you guys do it? And has anybody actually tried the Brass Magnet?

Most of you guys move around while shooting. I don't, not at that level yet. I like to just pick a distance for the day and go out and plink. Probably shoot 500 - 750 rounds a month.

Thanks for any insights,

I have a 75 yard range in my Florida backyard. I do keep it mowed. I find that putting the brass between me and the sun makes them stand out better for retrieval.... back light the brass with the sun in front and me behind the brass. If I fire 50 rounds I expect to find, without a lot of effort, at least 47 of them. The next session, I'll find those other three.

It helps if your rounds uniformly eject to the same general spot.... and if you mark your shooting position ( I use fired shotgun shells) so that everything stays in one small area.... and if you know your ejection pattern you'll know where to look.

Thanks for the tips and thoughts. My main reason that I think I liked the brass magnet was it appears to be more like my bait throw net as far as material. Gathers up nicely. That is my complaint about using a regular tarp. I suppose that a sheet or drop cloth would do the same or similar.

For those of you who have gotten the mesh tarps, do they gather up well or do you have to fold them up like a regular plastic tarp? It just sounded easy to pick it up and throw it in a 5 gallon bucket when done.

I purchased a Brass Magnet at a discounted price. I do like it. It is very well constructed, easy to use, and convenient. Is it worth the price? Would I buy another one? I wouldn't pay full price, and at this time I only have one. I may have to try the shading cover with some decoy weights attached to the corners. However I'm sure it wouldn't fold up as easily as the Brass Magnet.

It is very well constructed, easy to use, and convenient. However I'm sure it wouldn't fold up as easily as the Brass Magnet.

That is what intrigues me about it. A guy could just toss it in a 5 gallon bucket and go. Maybe someday I'll find one at a discounted price and give it a shot.

In the past I have assembled a pvc stand similar to a common target stand and attached mesh to it to make a net. Easily movable, breaks down, and catches much of your brass. Search for pvc brass catcher for some ideas.

$3.00 8' x 10' Harbor Freight blue tarp works fine. Ancor the corners with tent stakes or deck nails if its windy.

I also have a mesh net mounted on a camera tripod which works just as well but costs $45.00. I use it for indoor shooting.

Thanks for the tips and thoughts. My main reason that I think I liked the brass magnet was it appears to be more like my bait throw net as far as material. Gathers up nicely. That is my complaint about using a regular tarp. I suppose that a sheet or drop cloth would do the same or similar.

For those of you who have gotten the mesh tarps, do they gather up well or do you have to fold them up like a regular plastic tarp? It just sounded easy to pick it up and throw it in a 5 gallon bucket when done.

I fold mine. When folded it does not take up any more room than a 5 gal bucket it the truck.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk