Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7 lb recoil spring ?

cecil

That way you will most likely have the one you like with you. As stated below wolf spring are sometimes not same weight as marked on the package. IMSI are pretty ture to whats on the package also chrome silicon springs last longer, but that's just in my findings. YMMV, good luck.

Edited by a matt

Hello: Buy some ISMI recoil springs in 7,8 and 9lb. Also buy a ISMI mainspring in 17lb and you should be good. Depending on how your mags are setup the 7lb may not feed 100%. The 8lb should feed just fine. Wolff springs tend not to be consistent to what is written on the package. The Sprinco springs are good as well but a little harder to find. Thanks, Eric

Hello: Buy some ISMI recoil springs in 7,8 and 9lb. Also buy a ISMI mainspring in 17lb and you should be good. Depending on how your mags are setup the 7lb may not feed 100%. The 8lb should feed just fine. Wolff springs tend not to be consistent to what is written on the package. The Sprinco springs are good as well but a little harder to find. Thanks, Eric

I had the same issue with 7LB springs. The 7lb springs will not strip the next round from the mag 100% of the time.

I set up a steel gun to run 95 grain bullets at about 900fps, and used a 6 lb sping. Big issue was stripping the round off the mag and then pushing the bullet home into the chamber. I was able to get it to function 98% reliability by cutting the mag springs to the minimum and reducing the upward pressure. But after messing with that I abandoned the concept as it really didn't help my times, and it was just kind of an exercise in how low could I go. Now I run 7 pounds (measured) on my steel gun and 110-ish pf loads, no mag spring cutting required and it is very reliable. For open major I run 8.0 - 9.5 lb springs (measured) as that seems to be the sweet spot for my guns and major loads.

I strongly recommend actually measuring your spring weights with a gauge as the manufactures label is only an approximation - about pulse or minus 1 pound. Also, make sure your new springs are not coil locking or binding as that not good for the gun and will mess up how the recoil impulse feels.

Good Luck!

Playing with recoil springs myself. Is there a trick to get an open gun to run with a 7lb recoil spring?

Depends on the gun, mags, load etc. My open gun will run on a 7 if it's squeaky clean but soon starts having feed issues after a match or two. With an 8 it runs perfect even if it's so dirty my hands turn black shooting it. :)

Playing with recoil springs myself. Is there a trick to get an open gun to run with a 7lb recoil spring?

Depends on the gun, mags, load etc. My open gun will run on a 7 if it's squeaky clean but soon starts having feed issues after a match or two. With an 8 it runs perfect even if it's so dirty my hands turn black shooting it. :)
You must be shooting a lot!

I used to have 7# wolff on all my open 2011s 38s maj without any hicup. Now Im on 9# ismi trial bcos 7 is harder to find around here.

Edited by BoyGlock

You must be shooting a lot!

Actually I just don't like to clean guns very often! lol