Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I'm about ready to shoot my chrono on purpose.

This is my first experience with a chronograph. I bought a Prochrono a few weeks ago and have tried to use it a couple times.

All times it was heavily overcast, twice in the evening and once in the middle of the day. I was just using sticks with no diffusers.

The first day, with my old Berry's plated load it read with no problems.

The second day I tried my new Bayou 147 load, red in color. I got an error message like 7/10 shots. So I packed it up, thinking maybe it was too late in the evening.

Yesterday...heavily overcast again, at noon...went back out. I shot 5 shots of my old Berry's load through it. 5/5 recorded, no problems. So I switched to my new Bayou loads to test. Same thing. Maybe 7/10. The owners manual said to try coloring the bullets with black sharpie. I did, to no avail.

I'm frustrated. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Try using the diffusers. They are included for a reason. It makes for a consistent "picture" for the photocells.

I've use the ProChrono for over a year in various lighting conditions ...but have always used the sun shades just so I know I'm shooting through the same "window" every time. My experience is only with lead or jacketed bullets.

Mine hasn't given me any problems, but I have always used the diffusers. You said that you have only had it a few weeks and it looks like they have 30 day money back guarantee as well as a two year warranty. Try using the diffusers and if you still have problems give there customer service a call.

Try using the diffusers. They are included for a reason.

This is the reason I didn't use them:

From the owners manual...

"On an overcast day, it is generally better to remove the diffusers. This is because the clouds act as diffusers and so no further diffusion is needed; rather in this case it is more advantageous to allow more light into the chronograph."

I'll try them and see what happens.

Are you 10-12 feet from the chrono? (If you're too close,

you might "blast" the screen).

I don't know why Bayou reds wouldn't work, if the Berry's worked.

I'm probably closer to 5. The manual said 5-10. Maybe I should try a little further.

I can't figure it out either. The manual said sometimes bullets can be too shiny, hence the sharpie trick...but the bayous aren't shiny like the plated, and the plated have given me readings every time.

I'm perplexed.

Most everyone uses 10 Ft. from muzzle. If you use it closer than that with susonic rounds, the muzzle blast can falsely trigger the screens.

Always use the diffusers. They are provided for a reason

That could explain why my 115gr loads were working, but the 147s I was trying wouldn't.

As I said earlier, the manual said not to use diffusers on a cloudy day, so I didn't. I'll try them next time.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried again yesterday with a little better luck. I had 3 errors out of 20 rounds...still too many. I used the diffusers and stood back 10-15'.

I'll have to try the cardboard in front of it.

It was fairly sunny.

It's still frustrating me.

Yes, on a sunny day with the sun over to the side I'll put a USPSA target over the diffusers so the lighting is equal on the screens. Do the same thing on my Oehler. (two targets on the Oehler)

Put some little holes in the targets and anchor them on with some of the little wire ties like come on a loaf of bread - or a lot of other stuff.

• 1 month later...