Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glocks and revolvers - do they mix

GARD72977

I m very serious about competing and training with my glock. Moving from IDPA to USPSA in 2017. I would like buy a Revo and play in IDPA. Just wondering if the grip angle is similar enough to transition from one to the other. Im not worried about being the best with the revolver. I just don't want it to hurt my shooting with the Glock. I need something to spend my small tax return on this year.

I m very serious about competing and training with my glock. Moving from IDPA to USPSA in 2017. I would like buy a Revo and play in IDPA. Just wondering if the grip angle is similar enough to transition from one to the other. Im not worried about being the best with the revolver. I just don't want it to hurt my shooting with the Glock. I need something to spend my small tax return on this year.

There are people who have achieved Master level in more than one class in IDPA and there are also people who shoot a 1911 one day then turn around the very next day and shoot a revolver at the USPSA Single Stack/Revolver Nationals. These are some pretty serious competitors at the national/international level and I wouldn't say it's hurt their skills. Shoot what you want to/enjoy shooting. Life is short.

Grip angle doesn't really matter much if you're using the sights.

I beg to differ. Try shooting a revolver for 6 months, then switch to a GLOCK. It will drive you nuts 'cause the GLOCK won't come to point-of-aim that you spent the last 6 months using! The reverse is also true. POA will change with the grip angle, and to learn to switch between different ones is, at the very least, challenging.

The grip used on a revolver is much different from any semi-auto for most shooters, and that can enter into the picture as well.

Edited by Alan550

I see Dave Williams (pskys2) goes back and forth between a Glock and a 627 without any trouble.

When I practice with both regularly I see no difference but if you leave one alone for too long it will feel awkward and take some warm up to feel comfortable. I'm a revolver guy at heart but usually try to shoot an auto once a month to stay proficient.

I've never had a problem switching from Glock to Revolver and I'm an A class shooter. Like anything else it just takes practice. At many local matches I would shoot the Glock and then shoot the Revolver with no troubles at all. In local matches I am Master in both categories.

I shot Revo when I started USPSA and IDPA before that. Probably 2.5 years of only shooting revolvers. Last fall I decided to switch to Open with a glock. First time I did a draw the Dot was just there. Never had a problem with the grip angle. I just started playing with a iron sight glock for IDPA ESP and don't have any issues. I've also just switched to a STI for open to start getting ready for next year. Hitting the draw is difficult, forgot the safety a couple times. But finding the dot isn't a problem at all. If my grip is correct it's just there. Now I gripped a Revo the same way I grip a bottom feeder.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I've basically only shot revolver in USPSA, but for one match I borrowed a glock while the revo was at the 'smith. I did a little dry fire(reloads) the week of the match and come Sunday I was good to go. Hardest part was remembering to unload, show clear, and drop the hammer. Never had to think about it with the revo, hands just did it themselves. Since it was the first/only time running that gun, I never got confident in my shot placement/calling. I aimed and fired at a target and had no idea where I hit it. Wouldn't be a problem if I had actually done some practice and matches with the gun.

I wouldn't expect you to have any trouble with this!

But dang, planning for 2017!? I don't even know what I'm doing this weekend!

I have more trouble going from Revolver to a 1911 with a flat mainspring housing, if I use one with an Arched Mainspring all is ok. The Glock issues I have are due to the trigger safety. Have short fingers and have an occasional freeze due to it.

I have goals that I want to hit. So far I'm knocking them out. I see me getting bored with IDPA but still want to shoot with friends I have made. I don't enjoy the glock but I'm fast with it. The goal is to win div at the MS state match in June. I want to start USPSA as a GM in 2017. Shooting a revo for fun in idpa would keep me interested.

That's a pretty lofty goal for 2017 and I do wish you the best on it. However the revolver you would be shooting in IDPA will not be remotely competitive for USPSA so you will need to budget for two or shoot NFC in IDPA while getting spooled up to begin as a GM.