Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Rifle Brakes

v1911

Needless gadget or beneficial tool?

Looking at JP's website, they offer their 9mm carbine with a brake. Does non-major PF 9mm ammo really produce enough gas to effectively work a rifle brake? Or is the weight of the brake itself doing the work of mitigating muzzle rise?

It's not about recoil, it's about sight movement. Shoot a 9mm carbine with no break, then with the break, observing the dot movement during recoil. There is a very noticeable difference.

Care to elaborate on the details of what you are shooting? Equipment and ammo.

I have a JP GMR13 and can say that the dot in my MRO moves more without the brake than it does when it's on.

I have shot it in a 2 gun (pistol, rifle) match and must say it's a ton of fun. A few stages I got to leave my pistol in the holster and utilize the carbine the whole time.

It's not about recoil, it's about sight movement. Shoot a 9mm carbine with no break, then with the break, observing the dot movement during recoil. There is a very noticeable difference.

I have a JP GMR13 and can say that the dot in my MRO moves more without the brake than it does when it's on.

Yes, but is it due to the design/effects of the comp/brake? As others have already stated, you're probably not getting much gas from 9mm minor to operate a comp/brake. The benefit you believe you're experiencing with your comp/brake may be the same as you would experience if you replaced the comp/brake with a muzzle weight (of equivalent weight to the comp). If this is the case, then it's misleading to state that a comp/brake offers any advantage. The comp/brake is functioning as a muzzle weight, so a muzzle weight is what's actually offering the advantage.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you've got lots of gas to operate the comp.

Respectfully,

ac

The biggest thing I found for my 9mm AR with a compensator is to make sure you are using the right powder. I ran some with 231, AA #5, and WST. The AA#5 being the slowest powder definitely moved the dot less. Nothing that will save or kill a match, but the stainless compensator still looks way cooler than a birdcage flash hider.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing I forgot to point out. The brake on 9mm AR's seem to collect A LOT of lead fouling. And it is a pain to remove the fouling. I have to chisel it off after about 200 rounds.

That seems odd to me. I don't own an open gun, but I also don't recall major 9 shooters complaining about comp fouling. How would the brake on a 9mm rifle differ?

I haven't tried the JP, I've been running a YHM Slant Brake on my Stag. http://stores.9mmar.com/yhm-9mm-slant-muzzle-brake/

With my standard Minor load (147gr Berry's with 3.4 of Bullseye), it doesn't make a difference over the standard flash hider. All the powder's burnt before it hits the brake anyway.

With factory Federal 115s, it makes the gun track a lot flatter.

I'm in the process of putting together a 9mm AR and this thread has me looking at different muzzle devices. I haven't purchased the barrel yet, but looks like I can get one either in 1/2x28 or 1/2x36 thread. The options for 1/2x28 seem to be limited to A2 bird cage flash hiders, but if I go 1/2x36 the options open up to include flash hiders as well as comps. Any suggestions?

I'm in the process of putting together a 9mm AR and this thread has me looking at different muzzle devices. I haven't purchased the barrel yet, but looks like I can get one either in 1/2x28 or 1/2x36 thread. The options for 1/2x28 seem to be limited to A2 bird cage flash hiders, but if I go 1/2x36 the options open up to include flash hiders as well as comps. Any suggestions?

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1095&CAT=313

This one is 1/2x28.

I went with 1/2x36 and picked up the JP Comp and Barrel. Prices for those items aren't too bad for a JP parts. For the barrel, you have to factor in the price the color though. If you are ok with the machine finished look, the JP barrel is very competitively priced.

I went with 1/2x36 and picked up the JP Comp and Barrel. Prices for those items aren't too bad for a JP parts. For the barrel, you have to factor in the price the color though. If you are ok with the machine finished look, the JP barrel is very competitively priced.

The JP barrel and comp is on my short list. Thx

Are you guys competing in carbine matches with these 9mm AR's? I've been thinking about geting a 9mm AR but didn't know what I'd do with it other than plinking out at the range.

Liked my 9mm carbine so much I picked up another one, the local clubs allow us to shoot pistol caliber carbines at most of the matches. And it's a blast use same loads that I load for minor, and it seems like the number of 9mm carbines has at least tripled in the last few months. Mine all use Glock mags, and that's one thing I like the most with a Taran pad I can get 37 rounds and with a TF base can get 40, 9mm's