Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hickok 45 9mm 147

chetc

i watch some of the hickok 45 videos, he often mentions he likes the 147gr 9mm bullet best, been doing alot of searching on his favorite load, cant dig it up, has anyone ever come across his load he likes with the 9mm 147

Chet

hickok does not shoot competition. That should be your first clue. The reason for shooting 147 9's is it has a softer recoil to meet the same power floor, that's all. But the new hot ticket to meet the minor floor is to run 160's. Go to the powder maker's website and start there. Probably 3 grains of TiteGroup at 1.120"

Edited by 9x45

Watch one of his videos and send him a message in the comment section.

i will give it a shot,

Maybe you can get him to make a 48 minute video on his favorite 9mm load :P

In just about every video he is shooting and has a pile of American eagle factory ammo. You looking for reloading info on that?

I think he's shooting that because he gets it for free...I want free ammo :(

hickok does not shoot competition. That should be your first clue. The reason for shooting 147 9's is it has a softer recoil to meet the same power floor, that's all. But the new hot ticket to meet the minor floor is to run 160's. Go to the powder maker's website and start there. Probably 3 grains of TiteGroup at 1.120"

He used to shoot competion, law enforcement, reload and sass. Yea, I watch too much youtube.

Edited by rustybayonet

i watch some of the hickok 45 videos, he often mentions he likes the 147gr 9mm bullet best, been doing alot of searching on his favorite load, cant dig it up, has anyone ever come across his load he likes with the 9mm 147

Chet

Any long time subscriber should know this. Check out Hickok45's FAQ 11 and Reloading tips - powder charge. I don't think it's a light load by any means.

• 2 months later...

I was given some 147 gr. cast to try and shot them over 4.8/Herco. The bullet donor's chronograph gave an average of 943 f/s. Subjectively, recoil was on par with some of the warmer 9mm factory formulations out there, but still not an issue. It grouped well, and seemed to drop steel plates much better than the faster 125s shot that day. I have no idea of what Hickock45's personal load is, but this one might work for you. This load is 0.1 gr. under max, so approach with due caution.

Something that you probably know or should is that what's accurate for him in his pistol does not necessarily mean it would be accurate for you in your gun.

That is why hand loaders work up loads with a specific bullet & powered for thier pistol. Being that he is a Glock guy his load may not even chamber in your pistol if yours is a CZ or a Springfield which have short chambers.

He likes 147gr because he shoots tiny steel chickens and other steel targets out at 60-80 yards and wants to knock them over which he does regularly. Mostly he shoots factory 115gr because it's donated but his handloads are 147gr. He's done a video at his reloading bench and he has A LOT of different powder but no specifics.

• 3 weeks later...