Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers for reloading 45acp

Street Survival

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to make a large primer purchase. What in your sage opinion, is the best "Large Pistol Primers" to purchase for use in both striker fired and 1911's styled pistols. Also any leads on the best place to purchase these at a fair price, I will be going through a FFL Dealer. *** Thank You for your assistance.

I've gone exclusively Federal. I buy mine local and ahve acquired 25k in the past couple months from 2 sources. Federals seat easier and are the softest. They run well in my revolvers and all my semis. I had some issues with my last box of Win LPP. There was as much as .003" variance and the larger ones wouldn't fit in my primer tubes.

When I spoke with a Dillon Tech he specifically told me to stay away from Federal...

You will find that the more people you ask, the more different responses you'll get.

Look at any "what's the best lube" thread!

My Priority list goes like this.

1. Buy whatever is available.

2. If more than one choice is available, I go with Federal, Winchester, Tula, then CCI. In that order.

My guns / press is not too picky when it comes to primers. If I use CCI, I have to use full power striker springs or hammer springs, because they are on the harder side. I have shot and will continue to shoot any primer brand that I can get my hands on.

Edited by DMax

When I was loading Solo 1000, Clays, Clay Dot and N310, the WLP gave higher velocities and better SDs. CCI300 gives higher velocities and better SDs with e3 than the WLP. Fed 150 works very well with N310.