Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Everything will change for you, once you figure out...

benos

Everything will change for you…

Once you figure out you can shoot A's as fast as you can shoot hits.

Or, it doesn't take any longer to shoot A's than it does to shoot hits.

When you realize you can shoot as fast as you can possibly shoot, with all A hits, by just shooting what you see.

Once you know that it doesn't take any longer to draw to a perfect grip than it does to start blasting with a sloppy grip.

Once you know for certain that you can call every shot as quickly as you can not have a clue where the shots went.

See everything.

==============

Please add your insights...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is spot on. I don't get to shoot much any more and went from one end of the spectrum to the other at a local match last weekend. The first stage felt horrible, my grip felt horrible and I couldn't even see my sights, let alone use them. Everything felt a tad better and better as I shot more stages. And, just as I predicted, the last stage felt amazing. I saw my sights perfectly on every shot, called my shots and felt like the pistol was an extension of my body. It was an amazing experience that I used to enjoy all the time.........

Everything will change for you…
Once you figure out you can shoot A's as fast as you can shoot hits.
Or, it doesn't take any longer to shoot A's than it does to shoot hits.
When you realize you can shoot as fast as you can possibly shoot, with all A hits, by just shooting what you see.

I tried to think about this when I shot this weekend, and it helped. But, still a long way to go for me. . .

Yes. That's why one of my pet peeves is when I hear someone telling someone else to "slow down and get your hits."

Don't slow down. Pay more attention! Paying more attention might lead to slowing down, but slowing down in and of itself won't help.

For me, it came from a rifle match requiring the use of a variety of unorthodox obstacles. Just do whatever it takes to get the hits, even if you're upside down and you've got one elbow on your nads.

There it is.

For me, the turning point was the realization that there was more to gain by actually seeing the sights lift on every shot than by shaving another tenth off my draw or reload. I still have a little ways to go to be able to do it consistently, but now that is the main focus of my training (when my hand recovers enough to train seriously again).

It's not just live fire tho, it's in dryfire too. Having to practice weak-hand-only the last 6 weeks or so has really illustrated the point that I'm capable of seeing exactly where the sights are on every trigger pull, and it doesn't take a lot longer than getting the gun near the target and hoping. I don't stress if I had lousy hits if I *saw* the lousy hits as they happened. That's fixable.

I have found that when the buzzer goes I have to resist the "OMG! The buzzer! syndrome".... and just draw the gun smoothly to get on the first target. My times on the first shot (and accuracy) are faster when I take the draw slower & smoother.

One drill I did to help with that was to address a 8x10 white hanging plate at 25 yards... hit it on one shot from the holster. Smoother was always faster even though my 'mental computer' told me I was going slower. The "ting' was immediate and positive re-enforcement... then the timer confirmed that "smooth is fast".

When I tank a stage it's normally because I hurried the draw and 'screwed that pooch". Once the gun gets properly into my hand, the rest of the targets are just that... the rest of the targets.

I find myself breaking shots without seeing my sights, I'm just shooting hits. Especially on drills like el prez. I can shoot a sub 2 second bill drill but if I run a drill like El Prez my shots are not all A's. Here lately I am having a miss or two at local matches. I'm pulling my gun off the target sometimes prior to moving or reloading. Ill shoot the fastest time on a stage but have a miss. I obviously was not watching my sights and I cant seem to call my shots yet.

I wish I knew how to fix it. I can type 120+ words per minute, my keyboard is blank, no lettering at all. I know immediately if I hit the wrong key, even at 120 wpm. I want this in my shooting. Calling shots will be a massive improvement for me.

Edited by CrashDodson

I find myself breaking shots without seeing my sights, I'm just shooting hits.shoot the fastest time on a stage but have a miss.

I wish I knew how to fix it.

Same issue.

Feel time pressure , switch to target focus, a miss is a mike. Misses tend to happen more on easy targets and on the last shot on a group of targets.

Feel accuracy pressure switch to A zone front sight focus. A miss is a Charlie. Some things may be slower but the overall match score is better.

I find myself breaking shots without seeing my sights, I'm just shooting hits. Especially on drills like el prez. I can shoot a sub 2 second bill drill but if I run a drill like El Prez my shots are not all A's. Here lately I am having a miss or two at local matches. I'm pulling my gun off the target sometimes prior to moving or reloading. Ill shoot the fastest time on a stage but have a miss. I obviously was not watching my sights and I cant seem to call my shots yet.

I wish I knew how to fix it. I can type 120+ words per minute, my keyboard is blank, no lettering at all. I know immediately if I hit the wrong key, even at 120 wpm. I want this in my shooting. Calling shots will be a massive improvement for me.

Dry fire.

You know what you need to do, which is half the battle, now do it in dry fire and practice until it's just what you do.

When the buzzer goes off at a match I don't think about moving my hands, gripping the hand gun, drawing it, etc. I just do it because that's what I have practised.

In dry fire I often see my misses. Not sure why I'm not seeing them in live fire. I'm guessing adrenaline and trying to push. When the buzzer goes off I am on auto piolet...almost like driving home from work and arriving at home without remembering the drive. Alpha mike...damnit.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk