Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's causing this feeding problem -SP-01?

LeviSS

I was at a match today and at the third stage of the day it started giving me trouble at the load and make ready command. I'd insert the mag, rack the slide, and it would get hung up out of battery. A tap on the rear of the slide would send it home.

It ran fine during the actual shooting. I was giving it a firm, fully to the rear stroke upon loading. It's done it to me several times now.

I just replaced the recoil spring (11 lb), hammer spring, ext firing pin, rp fp spring, and rp fpb spring. I haven't polished anything.

I was using the factory 19rd mags, with the original springs...I've got +10% but haven't put them in yet.

It was recently cleaned...less than 200rds since cleaning.

They are reloads with 115gr Berry RN, loaded to 1.10 OAL.

Any ideas?

post-59552-0-42713200-1447545607_thumb.j

post-59552-0-62597000-1447545795_thumb.j

Edited by LeviSS

When's the last time you pulled the extractor and cleaned behind it?

Sadly, the answer to that is never. Can someone explain to me how the extractor could cause this?

Gunk gets built up in the extractor groov and the round does not slide easily up into the extractor.

Why is it only happening when loading? Is it just the extra energy with the slide cycling that forces it forward harder?

When it hit the rear of the slide, it kinda snapped forward.

To clean the extractor, do you just drive the pin out on the top of the slide? Does it go out from top to bottom, reverse, or does it matter?

Edited by LeviSS

You're probably either loading from slide lock or not releasing the slide from all the way back? That extra little distance for the slide to build up some speed can make the difference. My single stack gun will do this if I load too short with hollow points.

EDIT: Sorry, the extractor gunk suggestion is probably correct. I was trying to figure the LMR vs gun running on it's own part.

Edited by busdriver02

Extractor...

Reminds me, I need to fix my 2011 this winter, bought a new and way too tight extractor & it does the same thing.

I have not seen any discussion of fitting and profiling cz extractors (like the custom 1911 folks do for example), my assumption is that they are just a drop in and are not tuned ?

^^^^^^^^ THAT!! You might get away with blasting it with brake parts cleaner and compressed

air, but it probably needs to be pulled and scraped. Bevel and polish the bottom of the notch

while you have it out, they come square, sharp and rough. I run + power extractor springs in

mine, YMMV.

I would look two places. First and based on pictures I would guess least likely is mag springs. My experience is a lot of feed problems track to mag springs. Mark/number your mags so you know if one or more (and more importantly which ones) are giving you problems. A quick test is to remove the mag springs, Stretch is spring slightly, reinstall and test. If the problems clears up breifly, then R&R mag springs (all of them).

More likely is a dirtry extractor or breach face. Removed extractor and clean throuhgly along with extractor slot, lube as necessary and reinstall. The other area that can cause misfeeds is the breach face opposite of the extractor. There is (for lack of a better term) a "ledge" on the breach face opposite the extractor. The face of the "ledge" facing the extractor has a grove in it to help hold a round against the breach face. Powder build up in there can cause feeding issues. Use powder solvent and stiff brush to clean.

Thanks for the help guys.

I changed the mag springs to +10%.

I also pulled the extractor and cleaned it. It was pretty gunked up. Do you guys put any oil or grease on the extractor?

It seems to have taken care of the problem. I'll have to run it some more to be sure.

I'm getting more and more comfortable taking this thing apart. I guess the pins, punches, and hammers scared me.

Edited by LeviSS

I just read this on the CGW website:

"TECH TIP: This pin can only be driven out from the top and removed from the underside of the slide. You must stake/peen the underside of the slide to keep the pin from backing out, just like the factory does. Loctite is not recommended."

Is this necessary? How do you stake/peen the underside of the slide?

Glad you seem to have solved the problem, but another potential cause

is the OAL ...

You might be running on the ragged edge of just a little too long, and

once in a while, you get a slightly longer (too long) round that hangs

up a bit, but goes into battery with a slight nudge. :cheers:

This! Happened to me on a CZ 75 Shadow Custom. People told me to pull the extractor and clean out behind it. I didn't believe them, but I finally did it. Gun has been flawless ever since. Since I shoot a lot, I now clean the extractor cavity about every two weeks.

Do it

I am having the same issue with a Tactical Sport. Cleaned the Extractor even polished the inside just a bit to see if it would feed more reliably. The fix for me was to actually cut the spring a bit and that seems to have fixed the problem for me. The spring was too tight and was not allowing the brass to fly up the extractor.