Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rimfire Open

Wesquire

So I just went to my second Steel Challenge match. Loved it. I botched some stages, but I was very happy with a 2.6s average smoke and hope with my production pistol. Anyways, I just bought a 22/45 lite and want to turn it into a rimfire open steel gun. What compensators/optics are you guys using and seeing a lot of success with?

Anything you have laying around will work. I've run bullseye type tubes and .223 comps all the way to C-mores and tac-sol comps. Honestly what helps the most in steel challenge is having a quick transitioning gun (check) and muscle memory of the stage (practice).

Good luck.

Slide ride and 8-12 moa. Depends on what you like. Personally I like the bigger dots for steel especially in bright light. You can always turn them down a notch or two if you need. Doesn't matter click or no, personal preference .

Edited by danjordan78

I run this one with a FFIII 8mm dot.http://www.maddmacsprecisiontactical.com/lite-comp-2245l016.html

CCI AR Tactical works well. Make sure you use copper clad bullets or you'll be cleaning lots of lead out of the ports.

Whats the advantage of the FFIII over the C-more?

There really isn't any advantage. The FFIII has the dot a bit lower than an upright C-more but not one on a 90 degree mount. The C-more has a much bigger "window" many find much better along with replacable dot modules so you can run the dot size you like. The C-more also has adjustable dot brightness and is bright enough to not wash out.

Edited by Tom E

Is a compensator really necessary even in open for rimfire? I cant believe there is enough recoil to slow you down at all.... I have a tac sol 2211 conversion I was thinking about throwing a red dot on and shooting with one of my 2011's.

Not necessary but it makes the report louder so timers pick it up better.

The first thing you might want to do is scrap the internals and replace with quality parts and get rid of the LCI. If you had 2 identical guns, one with a comp and one without, the one with the comp will shoot flatter and faster. A 90° mount with a C-More is a great choice unless you are left eye dominant and right handed.

Is a compensator really necessary even in open for rimfire? I cant believe there is enough recoil to slow you down at all.... I have a tac sol 2211 conversion I was thinking about throwing a red dot on and shooting with one of my 2011's.

No The only thing a comp does for 22 is allow you to see the hit a little better on the way to the next target. You must keep them clean or eventually the comp will fill with lead. I have shot Buckmarks and Rugers both ways. Its a personal preference....I would just as soon keep it simple and not use the comp. You should know where the dot was at the moment the trigger broke.

Westquire, the advantage of the FFIII is that it is closer to the bore axis and has almost zero paralax. With a good comp, the dot never leaves the glass, so the bigger window of the CM is actually a disadvantage. It blocks more of your overall field of view.

So I installed a volquartsen accurizing kit, put on a madmacs comp, dawson f/o front sight, and went to the range. A buddy of mine has a 22/45 with the "game changer" comp. The Madmac comp absolutely blew that one away. The game changer comp barely does anything. The ports are just way too big. My comp was fantastic. The gun felt like it didn't move at all when I gripped good on it. You could actually feel the comp pulling the gun forward unlike with the game changer. Anyways, got my sights dialed in, pleased with the accuracy. Had several FTEs so I'm ordering a LCI replacement and hoping that takes care of it. Can't wait to put a c-more on it. It's going to be a really fun range/steel gun.

Westquire, the advantage of the FFIII is that it is closer to the bore axis and has almost zero paralax. With a good comp, the dot never leaves the glass, so the bigger window of the CM is actually a disadvantage. It blocks more of your overall field of view.

I would be interested in hearing your explanation of how a bigger lens blocks more of your view?

SJC 5 port comp aluminum shoots as FLAT as most and flatter than some. On my 22/45 with TANDEMKROSS VICTORY TRIGGER, Cmore 8moa dot, RimEdge scope mount, and 1.5 lb. Trigger pull. LCI replaced with TK filler, VQ sear and hammer, VQ disconnecter, TK hammer bushing, Titanium striker TK, Eagle talon extractor. With CCI Mini Mags it runs FLAWLESS.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

post-4174-144843337426_thumb.jpg

Edited by sweetback