Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springfield 1911 9mm

donno

Springfield 1911 9mm

Anybody with a SA 1911 9mm have any trouble with getting it to group? I have one that is super reliable, it will feed and cycle any and all ammo with all my mags. The problem is keeping them on paper at 25 yards. I have had groups as bad as 9”-10” from a sand bag. For a double check, I have pulled out other 1911’s I have and shot from same bag and get 3”-4” all day long. What’s the remedy? Match grade barrel, bushing?

Thanks

Donno

Springfield 1911 9mm

Anybody with a SA 1911 9mm have any trouble with getting it to group? I have one that is super reliable, it will feed and cycle any and all ammo with all my mags. The problem is keeping them on paper at 25 yards. I have had groups as bad as 9”-10” from a sand bag. For a double check, I have pulled out other 1911’s I have and shot from same bag and get 3”-4” all day long. What’s the remedy? Match grade barrel, bushing?

Thanks

Donno

My guess would be either the barrel is no good (crown?) or the barrel to slide lockup is just not consistent.

I have a tool that helps diagnose this. It's a bore laser. I put it in then load a magazine of snap caps and "snap load" the slide to simulate firing then check the bore alignment against the sight picture. On the guns I have that don;t group, I can see the bore alignment "wander" with respect to the sights which is the slide.

The #1 degrader of accuracy in a semi auto is how the barrel locks up with respect to the slide. A new bushing might help.

Edited by bountyhunter

If you are getting 9" to 10" groups at 25 yards off sandbags with loads that are proven to shoot 2" to 4" in other guns, there is definitely something wrong.

I assume you have checked your sights to ascertain that they are not flopping around or loose . . . . . . correct?

If so, and the gun hasn't been obviously abused or "home gunsmithed", I would ship it to Springfield for evaluation and repair.

If you are getting 9" to 10" groups at 25 yards off sandbags with loads that are proven to shoot 2" to 4" in other guns, there is definitely something wrong.

I assume you have checked your sights to ascertain that they are not flopping around or loose . . . . . . correct?

If so, and the gun hasn't been obviously abused or "home gunsmithed", I would ship it to Springfield for evaluation and repair.

You say ""home gunsmithed"" like it's a bad thing.

Springfield 1911 9mm

Thanks

Donno

My guess would be either the barrel is no good (crown?) or the barrel to slide lockup is just not consistent.

I have a tool that helps diagnose this. It's a bore laser. I put it in then load a magazine of snap caps and "snap load" the slide to simulate firing then check the bore alignment against the sight picture. On the guns I have that don;t group, I can see the bore alignment "wander" with respect to the sights which is the slide.

The #1 degrader of accuracy in a semi auto is how the barrel locks up with respect to the slide. A new bushing might help.

Don't forget the lower barrel lugs. A .200" slide stop sometimes works to help lock up the rear of the barrel a bit better, even a .203 if it'll fit in the frame hole. It made a difference on my gun. Still loose at the rear (barrel has a bit of play when you press on the barrel hood when in battery) but it's better than it was.

Edited by robertg5322

I NEVER sell guns (my boys are both shooters) but I sold mine for that reason. I made a chamber cast and found out the throat is real long but I don't know if that has anything to do with it. A new properly flitted barrel is the only fix.