Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Drying after wet tumbling

Foxbat

I saw several methods mentioned for drying the cases after wet tumbling, including spreading on a towel, putting in the oven, etc.

I came up with a different approach. After I have it drained and rinsed, I keep the strainer caps on the container, and I send a very strong jet of air through it, as I again spin the tumbler.

The jet is produced by a compact, but very strong fan, and in less than an hour the cases are totally dry... AND they are spotless, because they are constantly rolling during drying.

I had that fan in my possession, but something like that can be purchased easily on ebay or from a surplus house. I need to make a more permanent installation, and the fan can be fed from the tumbler's timer.

post-21305-0-70184100-1447120165_thumb.j

Edited by Foxbat

I saw several methods mentioned for drying the cases after wet tumbling, including spreading on a towel, putting in the oven, etc.

I came up with a different approach. After I have it drained and rinsed, I keep the strainer caps on the container, and I send a very strong jet of air through it, as I again spin the tumbler.

The jet is produced by a compact, but very strong fan, and in less than an hour the cases are totally dry... AND they are spotless, because they are constantly rolling during drying.

I had that fan in my possession, but something like that can be purchased easily on ebay or from a surplus house. I need to make a more permanent installation, and the fan can be fed from the tumbler's timer.

Great idea. Seems like that would work really well if you had a second drum for this purpose.

I am one that lays mine out on a towel to dry after toweling them off briefly, costs me nothing and they also come out spotless but it takes longer (which I don't mind as I have 1,000s of cases prepped and waiting for loading already).

Food Dehydrator (not my idea) but got one for less than $200 on eBay, 15-20 minutes @ 165 degree's, completely dry.

I run ~500 cases at time, load in a Large zip-loc bag and spray Case Lube and roll the bag through my hands for a few minutes.

Use a dry towel to remove the heavy stuff, then placed in my sub $100 food dehydrator.

It can handle 1500 pieces or so at a time (9mm), and allows me to start tumbling my next batch of brass ASAP.

Good thinking, but your setup wouldn't work with me as I usually try and knock out 4K pieces on a Sunday or Saturday.

~g

Edited by safeactionjackson

I have about 20 plastic inserts that come with pistol ammo boxes dug out of trash bins at the range (yes, I reload...so I collect brass also). I found this idea from a u-tube video. Place the plastic insert in a metal pie pan or sheet cake pan then take a handful of 9mm cases and place the handful on top of the plastic insert. Shake the insert so the cases fall into the 50 holes in the insert. The base of the case is heaver than the open end so the case will mostly fall primer down. Any that do not can be picked out and flip primer side down. Keep pouring and shaking so all 50 holes are filled. Pick up the insert level and place the same size insert on top of the filled insert so the holes line up. Hold both inserts together and flip so the cases fall into the empty insert. This will place the open end of the case down so any water will drain out. I then place the filled inserts in a pie pan and place on top of the water heater or out side in the sunshine to dry.

A bonus for 9mm and 380 cases mixed up, the 380 is shorter so you will see the difference in size when the brass is in the insert and can be picked out with medical tweezers. This also makes counting drying brass easy.

• 3 weeks later...

When you use a food dehydrator such as the one from Harbor Freight,how many cases do you have on each level?How long does it have to run to get the cases dry?I have been using the towel method for sometime now,just looking for a faster way of drying.

THANKS

I use the FA dehydrator / dryer. 90 mins gets them dry, and I get about 250 9mm on each of 5 levels.

After seeing this, I'm going to use my leaf blower on low speed to see what happens.

I have a front load washer/dryer. I put the sneaker tray in the dryer and lay the brass on a towel....30 minutes its bone dry.

I have one of those as well. If I get in a hurry I may try it someday. Good tip!

I have a front load washer/dryer. I put the sneaker tray in the dryer and lay the brass on a towel....30 minutes its bone dry.

5 minutes and my balls would be in the dumpster... The Mrs does not fool around.