Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Officer or Loaded Target Stainless?

OPENB

I'm wanting to upgrade my SS gun choice, and want to stay with a Series 70 style gun. What would you choose between a new Range Officer or a used Loaded Target Stainless? i'd really like to have a DW Pointman 9, but not ready to spend $1300 right now. I missed a used one here last month for a great price.

I think the two models are pretty close in quality. I tried a guy's Loaded Target that had a nice trigger, nice enough that I asked who did his trigger job. He said it was like that out of the box.

My RO is a good gun, I think you'll like one but understand it might have a couple of things that need TLC. I don't believe much hand-fitting is lavished upon these guns. Same with a Loaded Target.

The Loaded will have front cocking serrations and the RO will not, right?

Both are set up pretty good for matches out of the box, maybe giving the edge to the Loaded because they come with mag wells. If you want an ambi safety, the Loaded has that as well, RO does not.

I have a loaded, and had a RO. For a few extra dollars I'd go with the loaded. I don't think either pistol is hand fitted much at all, but the RO I had was rough when comparing the two. Might have just been unlucky and got a rough one.

Hello: I just bought a loaded target 9mm. It is fitted very well and shoots great with 115-147 grain bullets. I am kinda liking the 124 grain JHP's right now but I will be trying the 121's soon. The slide to frame fit is good and so is the bushing. I changed out the front sight to a Dawson 0.100x0.160. Other stuff I changed is because I will be using it for USPSA. I think the loaded is a better deal since it is stainless and only costs about $120 more. Springfield has a deal going on right now that includes a range bag and 2 extra mags etc. If you want a 45 the Trophy Match looks pretty good as well. Now I just wish I could find a Trophy Match or Loaded Target in 40 S&W. If Springfield made a 9mm Trophy Match I would buy one of those as well. I paid $905 for my new Loaded shipped but I have seen new ones for a less less than that. Thanks, Eric

I own both in 45. Out of the box the RO was tighter and more accurate. For both I put mag wells on, VZ grips and Dawson FO front sight. I have over 50k rounds through the RO and around 10k through the loaded. I did have all new internals put into the loaded and a bushing fitted. It greatly improved the trigger and tightened up the groups but the RO still has an edge there. The RO was a major workhorse and had fantastic reliability. For the most part it is a backup now and will be passed down to my grandson. I believe either will meet your needs but if I had to only own one I would go with the RO. Just a better gun out of the box, TRP level fit and better groups.

I also have the DW PM 9 and it is a fantastic gun. If you really want a 9mm I would say be patient, save and you will never regret it. It is worth the wait.

I got a 9mm RO, fit n finish is good, I ditched everything to do with the ILS, installed a S&A magwell with 70 series guts, Dawson 100x180 fiber optic front sight, a relief cut on the sear, and 5 Wilson mags, now I have accurate soft shooting blaster

It appears we're running 50/50 RO to Loaded Target, and 1 for my choice-if-I-had-the-cash, the PM9. I'm trying to justify the PM9 at $1300 by thinking if I get a Loaded Stainless, then have the front strap checkered, flat top the slide, Dawson front FO sight, & EGW internals, I'd have spent way more than $1300. Thanks for the opinions.

My wife and I between us have five 9mm Loaded Target models, two competition, two backups and one HD (wife's). Setting aside the HD gun the other four had a broad range of trigger quality out of the box. After very minor tweaks (no ignition parts changes, no internal polishing) all four have TPW in the 3 - 3.5 lb range. My wife's has the best trigger, 3.25 lbs, and didn't even have to be touched. The two primary competition guns have over 20K rounds each and have been flawless. ROs would have been fine, but weren't available in CA. The guns are tools so the holster-induced wear doesn't both us a bit, but on coated steel the wear is called "patina", on SS it just look like grunge.

It appears we're running 50/50 RO to Loaded Target, and 1 for my choice-if-I-had-the-cash, the PM9. I'm trying to justify the PM9 at $1300 by thinking if I get a Loaded Stainless, then have the front strap checkered, flat top the slide, Dawson front FO sight, & EGW internals, I'd have spent way more than $1300. Thanks for the opinions.

PM9, buy once cry once...then buy another. Soak up tears with beer.

Hello: Decide what features you want and like. If you start with a less expensive gun you can add the parts you want. Grip tape on the front strap works just as well as checkering but does not look the greatest. If you like black guns plan on reblue at some point or a coating. If you like silver guns then get stainless or have it hard chromed. The guns I looked at are the Springfields, STI (Spartan, Trojan), Dan Wesson and Sig. I am in the camp of build it up. Spend a little less and buy some good quality mags, I am using Tripp's. I would also plan on updating your single stack gear as well. Lastly find which one fits your hands the best. Some 1911's feel different than others. Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

Got a Loaded Target 9 last year. Loosest slide to frame fit I've ever experienced, even after installing .200" slide stop and angle bored bushing (both EGW). Shoots good but the rattle is annoying for a $1,000.00 gun. Internals were junk as well.

Well, I bid as much as I wanted to pay & still be able to mod it & be comfortable with the final $$, but the reserve was too high. This was on a Loaded Stainless. A new RO went yesterday for $651. I thought that was a decent price, but not what I wanted. Some of my stuff has sold in the classified, so I think I will shop for a PM9. Anyone have one they want to sell?

Hello: You are a couple of weeks too slow if you wanted a Loaded Target in 9mm. There were lots of new ones in the $850-$900 range. The cheapest I saw was $775 and I should have bought it since a friend wants one now that he has seen how good mine is. He has not found any for less than $900 right now. Thanks, Eric

There's a lot of good input above. I second what is said in posts #15 and #16.

I was in a similar position a few months ago, buying my first 1911. I looked at the Range Officer, but I personally liked the Sig guns - to me they felt like a step up in class/quality, for a pretty similar price point. I'm totally in love with my 9mm Traditional Match Elite. I did have the S80 components removed with my trigger job. I think I spent about $100 on the trigger work which gave me a really nice 2.5lb trigger. People say most of these guns need trigger work anyway, so I wouldn't consider that an extra cost over the Springfield, but I'm not sure about the DW.

Dan Wesson will be worth the money, but if the Loaded Target has everything you want and feels good to you, then go for it. (Or if the deal is amazing, you can grab it and always sell it later.)

Sig 1911s are going for around $900 and I think are well worth the money. I'll have mine at Circleville on Saturday if you want to see it.

FWIW, Hard Chrome is around $250 for a gun, looks like stainless but wears better than steel, and will tighten up the fit a little.