Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How difficult is your 38SC brass to resize

yellowthunder

I'm sizing my once fired 38SC brass and have noticed that compared to 9mm, it seems like there is a lot more sizing going on with my 38 SC. I'm using Hornady dies with the titanium nitride sizer. Has anyone noticed that their SC brass feels like it's being worked harder than they would expect?

Thanks for the replies everyone. I noticed my chamber is a bit generous itself, but on the same barrel my friends 9mm major chamber seems pretty tight.

I may start using case lube, I try to get pistol dies that don't require it though. I use one shot on all my rifle stuff and I have a carbide set of 9mm dies that don't need it. I'll see if it makes a difference in how the sizing on 38SC feels though.

Case lube is the key for sizing anything, steel or carbide dies. Anything that has a good amount of movement required to get it back to close to original shape (Major 38Cal) will need it for sure.

Make sure you never use Hornday Liquid One Shot in the pump spray. It is dog turd.

Roll sizing is much better than push through sizing as it sizes from the base of the case upwards. This actually puts brass back closer to original factory specification. Push through works well enough but roll sizing works 10 times better. But, at a cost.

Dillon, One Shot Aerosol are the best, never tried the Royal Brand. Can't get it here in any event and maybe never will.

Hornady sizing die is all I have ever used for 38sc. Haven't experienced any ill effects and have reloaded the same brass many times. I do give the brass a squirt of One Shot before loading too.

Edited by robb315

hornady sizeing dies for 38 super is definetly not my favorite, it sizes to much imho, working the brass more than needed.

I just ordered the LEE sizing die. The Hornady sized to .382" and the LEE .384". My unfired brass is .392". I'll see how this goes.