Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got DQed with the Lim Pro

RobertLx

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is, atlas.

Is your safety ambi and black with the wide paddle on the left?

Filling down the safety is not ssp legal.

It is if they don't know about it which is why I suggested getting it cerakoted back the same color lol

I would try that, but the people who were in charge of this match, will be the people in charge at the S&W indoor Nationals in February. They will be asking what I did and most likely checking on it.

• 3 weeks later...

I see several possibilities here, but I am now too in the position of having a limited pro with ambi-safeties on it and it definitely won't fit in width.

The length is as close to 8.75" as I can measure. Weight was good at 42 ounces.

Was there a consensus on the best course of action for the safety?

The ones on it right now feel rather mushy, so I would probably want to go to a legal single side one with a more positive feel to it, if one exists.

:-D

get the maker of the pistol to make a run of new ambi safeties.

as long as the part is stock for any new pistols it should be legal to use it.

it is not all that much wider right now and I'll bet

if they knew the slightly narrower IDPA specification, they'da made it fit.

... you can always ask...

miranda

It depends what division you want to shoot. If you want to stay in SSP, than you must use a safety from another EAA SSP legal gun. The only one I see that is SSP legal is the witness. Its a single sided safety.

If you want to shoot ESP, than you can use pretty much any safety you want that fits in the box. The Stock 2 safeties should work fine, Just make sure they fit the box. Some dont. Or you can just remove the right side safety and run it that way.

As far as it feeling "mushy", thats the way it is fit to the gun, and sear. Any safety you get, you should fit the sear to the safety.

I see several possibilities here, but I am now too in the position of having a limited pro with ambi-safeties on it and it definitely won't fit in width.

The length is as close to 8.75" as I can measure. Weight was good at 42 ounces.

Was there a consensus on the best course of action for the safety?

The ones on it right now feel rather mushy, so I would probably want to go to a legal single side one with a more positive feel to it, if one exists.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to follow up; the gun fit in the box pretty easily length and height-wise. Our club bought the box from IDPA and it was checked by one of our MD's. I just removed the strong hand side safety lever by simply removing the roll pin. The shaft sticks out a little further than I would like, but our local safety officer instructor (and Tanfo gunsmith, by the way) said it would be perfectly legal in ESP that way.

I'm not ready or comfortable enough to drop the hammer during load and make ready yet anyway, to be able to use it in SSP. When I am, I might look into replacing it.

I'm not ready or comfortable enough to drop the hammer during load and make ready yet anyway, to be able to use it in SSP. When I am, I might look into replacing it.

I know USPSA requires that, but I thought that IDPA SSP guns started hammer back safety on?

I know USPSA requires that, but I thought that IDPA SSP guns started hammer back safety on?

ESP allows hammer back safety on. DA/SA pistols can start either way in ESP. SSP doesn't allow SA, so I would have to start in DA, (with or without the safety though).

Just to follow up; the gun fit in the box pretty easily length and height-wise. Our club bought the box from IDPA and it was checked by one of our MD's. I just removed the strong hand side safety lever by simply removing the roll pin. The shaft sticks out a little further than I would like, but our local safety officer instructor (and Tanfo gunsmith, by the way) said it would be perfectly legal in ESP that way.

This is how I shot mine at the one IDPA match I have shot since the DQ happened.

And just like yours, my Lim Pro fit the box from IDPA with ease all around, except for the lid.

• 1 month later...

I sounds like more than 1 person has removed the strong hand side safety.... Is this being allowed in SSP?

By the rules, I don't see that as modifying, I see it as just not installing the other lever. The safety itself is still a stock Tango part, and the safety itself has not been removed. And according to the pics posted, some Lim Pros came with only one side safety.

This is how I am PLANNING on running my Lim Pro. Otherwise, I may have to get a plain witness safety...or tell IDPA to pound sand.

Here is a link from EAA to purchase Lim Pros. NO ambi safeties in the pics!

And also from Tanfoglio, parts diagram for Lim Pro. NO ambi safeties!

http://galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=600315&mfg=European+American+Armory&mdl=Witness+Limited+Pro&cat=1&type=Pistol%3a+Semi-Auto&cal=All&fin=&sit=&zipcode=32920

http://www.tanfoglio.it/uploads/catalog/media/limitedpropdf.pdf

Edited by IronArcher

I shoot my Stock II with the ambi custom safety. (the big one) I haven't shot any major matches with it yet, but after measuring it, the safety makes the gun too wide... What I would really like to see is how wide the gun would be if you could use the left side from the custom/limited pro, and the right side from just a regular steel witness. I would think that safety would be narrow enough to fit in the box, but for weak hand shooting, I feel like a right side safety is a must! Anyone tried that, or have one sitting around they could put on and measure. If anyone has a spare right side regular witness steel safety, I would be interested in it!

Not with that grip tape it isn't.

DOH! Thought that was legal!

Thanx for pointing that out!

Fixed!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1452105602.266126.jpg

Check the rulebook appendix for a diagram of where you can apply grip tape. It's basically the grip panels, front and back strap only. Nothing on the slide, or forward areas of the frame or under the trigger guard or anything.

Edited by waktasz

Was going by IDPA as they are usually they more restrictive rules.

I just got rid of it. The stippling on the front and back straps is plenty. Maybe some "lava rock" grips to add grip, but no tape.

Henning grips feel nice, but not cheap!

I just sanded down the tops of my wood grips to make them thin for reaching the controls. Then I applied grip tap on one set and just used dark walnut stain on the other an they almost look factory