Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many of you have a Match Rifle and a Practice Rifle setup?

DocMedic

With FB3G, my season for Majors is done till next year and i'm evaluating my gear on whats need too be re-tuned etc etc. Looking over my rifle I'm going to need to re-barrel it but then I thought why not just make a new second upper that I'll only use for Matches and use the current upper for Practice and local matches only. How many of you actually do this?

I started to a year or two ago.....but now I don't. I have a short gun (13.8") for bay only matches that doesn't see much use anymore, and I have an 18.8" rifle that I use for everything. I'd rather get a new barrel each year than mess with two rifles that may not feel exactly alike.

Now......I HAVE had identical uppers for TacOps and TacIrons so that I never have to rezero (in theory). I do like that, because my trigger, grip, and stock adjustments always feel the same.

If it's going to be an identical build then personally I would rather spend it on arranging a class with a top shooter at the beginning of next year and the rest on ammo to continue your training and hone what you learned in that class as the year progresses.

My main match upper is an 18" barrel that due to its great accuracy, I built a backup upper just to save wear and tear. Later I took inventory of parts and found everything I needed except a match trigger for a lower. Picked up a Hiperfire 24C, so now two complete guns.

I'm not some big time pro but I do not want to get in a position where I do not have a gun ready for a big match. (Been there and done that.)

Did the same with pistol and shotgun.

The backups are also my practice guns.

Bill

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Yes, I have a practice rifle and a match rifle. I don't hold my practice rifle to the same accuracy standards as the match rifle, but both have won many matches. I like to take the practice rifle overseas, because it won't hurt nearly as bad as loosing my CTR-02 if it doesn't show up. Matter of fact my practice rifle has won a couple Nordic Rifle Championships over there.

BEWARE THE MAN WITH ONLY ONE GUN, HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT. (Old saying)

BEWARE THE MAN WITH 4 OF THE SAME GUN, HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE THEM TO WIN EVEN MORE STUFF... (New saying that I'm tryin' to pimp around)

Built up over the years:

Match gun

Practice gun

"toasty barrel" Practice gun

.22 practice gun

....all set up exactly the same: trigger, optic, stock, pistol grip, safety, mag release, etc.

ericm

With FB3G, my season for Majors is done till next year and i'm evaluating my gear on whats need too be re-tuned etc etc. Looking over my rifle I'm going to need to re-barrel it but then I thought why not just make a new second upper that I'll only use for Matches and use the current upper for Practice and local matches only. How many of you actually do this?

Yes.

Also, because I like 2 of everything (except spouse...too expensive, unless you are the emperor :roflol: )

For .223, I have an old Colt R6700C (20" with a pinned comp) that I used to shoot matches with that I now use for practice. I have a JP CTR-02 for matches, they are not set up exactly the same, but they are close enough. When I do practice, I will take the JP and run whatever drill I am practicing about 1/3 as much as I do with the old rifle. I mainly alternate to keep the heat down on the JP.

For Heavy Metal, I only have one AR10 and one M1A.

All my rifles are iron sighted.

Hurley