Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nose dive woes

wbyrd01

Had same issue on Kimber I converted to .40. EGW higher mag catch and recontouring feed ramp fixed it. Feeds factory lenght or long ammo smooth now. Feed ramp was protruding past the frame into the magwell. Not sure that alone caused any issues.

The smile on the front of the bullets I believe is caused when the bullet in the mag while the gun is being shot hits the lower edge of the feed ramp during recoil. Look at a mag after shooting, the top round has the smile as well as the one you pull from the chamber. At least that's what was happening in my gun.

Edited by robertg5322

As a new member I am not allowed to post links but I found a great feed lip tuning video by Atlas Gunworks. His main point is that one can control the angle of the round by adjusting the width of the front of the feed lips relative to the back. He recomends having the front of the feedlips .003-.010 wider than than the back. He also recomends the Dawson Mag tuning kit.

I don't have the Dawson kit, yet, but opening the front lips just a tiny bit allowed the round to angle up.

Rasyad

Edited by Rasyad

If you can't get the gun to run 100% after trying the tips and tricks above, you might consider sending the gun and mags to Virgil Tripp at Tripp Research. He can tune the feed ramp and will send the gun back running perfect with your mags. He does great work, especially on 40's.

Does the gun suffer these failures with factory ammo? If not, I would suspect your handloads first.

Looking at the photo you posted, I can see where the sizing die appears to have left an un-sized ring at the base of the cartridge. An enlarged base on each cartridge in a magazine may prevent the follower from pushing up the front of the top cartridge.

If the pistol runs fine with factory ammunition, you might try sizing your cases with a push-thru die prior to loading.

I had a similar problem. I think your Boyou bullets will slide smoother than copper plate.

I load to 1.180 OAL

To fix the problem I sent the gun to Virgil Tripp and it has not had the death jam since.

It was more expensive to ship than what I was charged

Thanks for the recent replies. The problem is worse with factory ammo. I have the EGW higher mag catch delivering tomorrow. I'm really hoping that fixes it. I put a Dawson mag catch in it today and it helped with loading 9 in a mag but it still does it with 10. So I'm covered when shooting major at least. I'll post back tomorrow after I put the new mag catch in.

The EGW mag catch seems to have fixed the problem. My gun will now chamber a round with 10 loaded in a magazine from both slide lock and racking the slide. I just wish the mag catch was threaded for a button.

Well I thought the new mag catch had solved my problem. First stage of tonight's match I had two nose dives. Second stage none. Third stage it happened once. Fourth and final stage it locked my gun up so bad I couldn't even get the mag out. Took a few minutes to clear. Ended up with a DNF. Back to the drawing board. I ordered 1000 Rocky Mountain Reloading 180gr RN. Really hope that does it. Also going to try running some rounds loaded to 1.180 instead of 1.200 to see if that changes anything.

Maybe I missed it but have you tuned where the extractor contacts the brass?

Look at the first picture here to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/ejection%20perfection.htm

Looks like you've hit all the other big fixes... but it's a sum of the contact points in the system. Get any advantage you can...

I tried a 10lb just to see how it felt. I wanted to see if it would feed from slide lock. After recutting the ramp to 30 degrees, it feeds great. I tried different mags, raised mag catch and 3 extractors all tuned. Ramp was only perfect fix.

I never did try round nose bullets. I am interested in seeing how they work for you.

Maybe I missed it but have you tuned where the extractor contacts the brass?

Look at the first picture here to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/ejection%20perfection.htm

Looks like you've hit all the other big fixes... but it's a sum of the contact points in the system. Get any advantage you can...

Even though this article says the Aftec extractors are already beveled I noticed the brass seemed to get hung up a little on the bottom edge. I went ahead and added a little more bevel and polished that edge, I'm going to try running the Aftec with one spring rather than two as well. I also polished the breech face and feed ramp. Rocky Mountain bullets should be here tomorrow. I won't get a chance to test fire it until late next week (Disneyland trip!) but I'll report back once I make it out.

Did you ever get around to trying any .45 mags to see if they work or help.

My Trojan .40 wouild not run with _______ .40/10mm 10 rounders. EGW HD mag catch and 45 mags saved the day for me. If not 8. 9 +1 to start or Even CMC .45 10 round power mags work loaded to 10. I am loading 180 FP have not got around to trying RN yet.

I guess it shows how different guns are.

Best of luck..Hope you get it resolved soon.