Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

frankford arsenal wet tumbler?

How many 9mm cases can you run at one time?

Pins or no pins?

What's the best way to dump, rinse and separate the pins if you use them?

I do 1,000 45's at a time, so 1,000 9mm would be no problem. Your other questions have already been answered in the thread, but for rinsing, I use a 5 gallon pail from Lowes or Home Depot. Put the drum in it with the two strainer caps installed and run water through the drum until the level is to the top and agitate the drum. Remove the drum, pour the pail through a strainer to catch the pins and repeat the process at least once more. Then put the cases in an RCBS type covered media separator and spin to remove any clinging pins. Dry the cases in whatever matter you prefer. Pins from the strainer and media separator are placed in a small pail for storage. A magnet isn't necessary using this method but the pins are small and usually find a way to escape, so a magnet can make cleaning up rogue pins is useful.

IMHO, if you're going to wet tumble w/o pins, you might as well just skip the process and dry tumble instead. It's a lot easier, requires a lot fewer steps and provides nearly identical results.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I finally got a chance to try out the Armor All Ultra Shine Wash-n-Wax.

Harbor Freight 1 1/4 cu ft Cement Mixer

2 gallons 9mm brass - maybe 30 lbs +/-

2 gallons lukewarm water

1 teaspoon citric acid

2 tablespoons wash & wax

No media

1 hour run time

I'd have to say I'm impressed so far. The wash & wax is lets sudsy than the Cotco dish soap I've been using. The case outsides looked great and the insides of the cases were surprisingly clean for not using any media, The batch is currently drying in an 8-level 400 watt dehydrator.

2 gallons lukewarm water

1 teaspoon citric acid

2 tablespoons wash & wax

No media

1 hour run time

I'd have to say I'm impressed so far. The wash & wax is lets sudsy than the Cotco dish soap I've been using. The case outsides looked great and the insides of the cases were surprisingly clean for not using any media, The batch is currently drying in an 8-level 400 watt dehydrator.

I am guessing you are using the citric acid instead of Lemonshine?

2500ish with pins

I use an enclosed media separator dump the dirty water and whatever pins fall out through the slotted cap, into the bottom of it, pour off water, use magnet to move pins to a jar. Then pour in half the brass into the clamshell basket, fill the unit with water about half way up the bottom basket. Close lid, spin slowly, back and forth for a few minutes. pour off that water, and repeat, dump that brass on a towel after shaking it a bunch in the basket. Roll it around in the towel to get rid of surface water. Then into the oven or other drying method of your choice. Dump the other half of the brass into the basket, do the first rinse in the left over water from the first basket of brass's second rinse. Dump that water and do one more rinse, then repeat the rest of the steps. If you want to be really frugal use that last water to fill up the FART for it's next pass.

2 gallons lukewarm water

1 teaspoon citric acid

2 tablespoons wash & wax

No media

1 hour run time

I am guessing you are using the citric acid instead of Lemonshine?

Same difference AFAIK. Citric Acid is cheaper in bulk on Amazon.

I looked at the cases after drying. Still impressed by how clean they are inside relative to the dish soap. Some of the cases have a whitish look on the inside which I assume is dried wax stuck to carbon deposits.

Until I see a reason not to I'm switching to the Wash and Wax.

Edited by Beastly

I want the shiny brass, I just want to do as little work as possible to get it. Wash and Wax gets high marks for results to effort.

I am hopeful that I will be able to stop using One Shot as an anti-tarnish/case lube before processing. That remains to be seen.

The cement mixer process is prety tight. Trivial to load. 1 hour process time. The "work" is a a half dozen 2 gallon water changes at the end (relatively easy). This would be even easier outside with a hose.

Final drain, towel dry brass, load on dehydrator trays and toss on dehydrator overnight. A faster and more efficient dryng process would be nice but it would probably take an oven to get there.

Some of the cases have a whitish look on the inside which I assume is dried wax stuck to carbon deposits.

This would bother me...

I've seen far worse from a friend who dry tumbled adding a little nu-finish to the media. The wax and sometimes even media gets stuck inside the cases. I can't see how a little whitish deposit on a few cases is any better/worse than carbon deposits that don't affect anything. Well, anything except helping your powder die not stick in the case necks. I'll try to get a picture...

Edit: I took a cotton swap to one of the few cases with a whitish look inside - a little wax 'dust' came off. Further attempts to clean with the swab and alcohol didn't produce much, pins or more time would likely be required to get the inside of th cases cleaner. But why? I see no benefit.

See attached images from last night's 2 gallon batch of 9mm. Looks very serviceable to me.

post-47915-0-51516800-1456249752_thumb.j

post-47915-0-90292100-1456249764_thumb.j

post-47915-0-01333500-1456249779_thumb.j

Edited by Beastly

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get the media seperator, and with the approach I use I have yet to find a pin left in the dryer or cleaned cases. I cut a five gal bucket down to about 8" high. Now I use the case sorters to remove the pins from the batch of cases. Dump the cases and pins out of the tumbler into the case sorter in the (now) 2 gal bucket. Add water as needed to cover the batch of cases in the sorter. Jostle, shake, stir and agrivate the cases UNDER water. The pins fall out and collect in the bottom of the bucket. I usually dump out the dirty water and run a rinse a time or two the same way, with clean water to a level covering the cases in the sorter. I put the cases back in the tumbler with a small magnet and run for a couple minutes. This usually collects a dozen or so pins on the magnet. (I also have a magnet in the drain in the sink to collect any stray pins that might end up in the sink before they go down the drain) Then to the dryer. It saves time to run smallish batches, maybe 1/3 full in the tumbler. It usually takes about 5 to 10 minutes to seperate all the pins from the brass, and they are all in the bottom of the bucket ready to rinse and dump in the tumbler for the next batch. I bought the media transfer magnet gizmo, but it is still new in the box. Never found a need for it. I am totaly sold on the FART. It is clean, and in my view not very noisy. I add a teaspoon of non sudsing dish washer detergent and a similar amout of liquid brass polish when I load the tumbler, I run pistol so I dry thoroughly and deprime in the turret at station one.

I'd think that is a misprint as, if I remember correctly, Amazon had at one time the very lowest price I've ever seen on that tumbler.

Amazon have them at the normal price also...just this one vendor...yes, they had it at the end of last year for like $110 or somewhere near there...

I have lived with FART for some time now, and at this point I am moving to the hybrid system.

No matter what I did (without pins) it did not produce the polish that I truly like, like what the vibration gave me.

Plus the brass tarnishes much faster after the FART.

So I now get it cleaned, and load. I then put it into my old Lyman tumbler for just 30 minutes, and they come out truly polished, plus with no lube.

I am going to keep both, because the FART removes the lead, and keeps my hands clean. But I love the bling that the vibro tumbler gives me.

Due to heavy weight of the loaded ammo, I only tumble no more than 300 rounds of 9mm, which is still plenty, given the short cycle time. And there is no lead dust any more.

During the holidays there was a "flash" sale on Amazon and I got my FART for $108. Stumbled on it with 15 minuets left ion the sale (one hour I think) and snagged one.

Edited by Intel6

I have lived with FART for some time now, and at this point I am moving to the hybrid system.

No matter what I did (without pins) it did not produce the polish that I truly like, like what the vibration gave me.

Plus the brass tarnishes much faster after the FART.

So I now get it cleaned, and load. I then put it into my old Lyman tumbler for just 30 minutes, and they come out truly polished, plus with no lube.

I am going to keep both, because the FART removes the lead, and keeps my hands clean. But I love the bling that the vibro tumbler gives me.

Due to heavy weight of the loaded ammo, I only tumble no more than 300 rounds of 9mm, which is still plenty, given the short cycle time. And there is no lead dust any more.

I may get out of wet tumbling. It sure cleans the bejesus out of brass but I agree, the brass doesn't shine as well and it does tarnish quick. It is just a whole lot of work and time I feel just isn't worth it. I currently polish after loaded with wax and use the wash and wax stuff to clean but pulled some ammo off the shelf this weekend and it was really tarnished and dirty looking