Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 COL deviation

I'm loading 147 Xtreme HP 9 mm in my 650.

I'm noticing a deviation of my overall length from 1.147-1.153........ My goal was 1.150 ...is this variation due to brass, operator error, inability to read calipers..lol ......any experiences ..am I being to fussy about measurements..........Thanks

I was loading that exact bullet before i switched to Limited. those numbers look about right. Shouldn't be any issues. What you do need to watch out for though with Xtremes is the OAL from one lot# to the next. The OAL may/will change enough to make a difference. Make a note of the lot number on the side of the box, keep like lots together. When you get a new box with a different lot number, measure your coal. I found I would have to change the seating die because of this variation. Like I said, within a lot # you will be fine, but with a new lot # number you need to check. This is one reason I stopped loading Xtremes. The bullets shot good and we're good price, but that change from lot to lot drove me crazy.

I have been measuring Xtremes for a while now (mostly 124HPs) and have not found lot to lot variation. I get 0.002" variation at most. You get 0.003" from the shell plate and 0.002" from the toolhead movement. From 0.004" to 0.005 is from the press. When I load precision rifle rounds, I use a bearing on the shell plate and shim the toolhead and I can cut the OAL variation to 0.001".

i never loaded xtreme jhp, so i have no data on them. i do know for a fact, that the RN do vary lot to lot. i'm trying to remember now if it was both 9 and 40 or just 40. After i read your post, i started thinking more about it and the variance i was seeing was definitely in 40 HP RN. I can't recall now if the 9 had the same variation. My buddy was the first one that clued me into this, so i know of at least one other shooter, that was using 180 HP RN that saw the same variations. We both shoot Tanfos, and the COAL is important, as too long in the mag and you will get a Salt and Pepper Shaker. The variance we were seeing was as much as .005. Not a big deal if you know look for it and make a small adjustment on the seating die. But if you don't, and just throw a new lot in the bullet feeder without checking, you could potentially load 100 rounds with an OAL that don't work in your mags......ask me how i know.

Edited by CZinSC

edited last post,sorry, dropped a zero on the decimal!

Anyway, i just went out to the bench and found three bullets, all Xtreme,180 Heavy Plate, Round nose:

OALs: .580, .575, .573

Again, they are good bullets, i got great groupings with them. they are accurate, and fairly priced. I just didn't like the lot to lot variation i personally saw. All I am saying, is if if you get a new lot, double check the OAL. Make a minor adjustment if you need to, and load 'em up.

Sort brass by head stamp, keep plate full, keep the handle moving, make sure plate is right tightness, lube cases, blah blah blah.

This gets discussed a lot so there are several threads on oal on Dillon machines

Sort brass by head stamp, keep plate full, keep the handle moving, make sure plate is right tightness, lube cases, blah blah blah.

This gets discussed a lot so there are several threads on oal on Dillon machines

You are always going to get variations measuring actual OAL length when measuring from bullet tip to case base. I experimented and measured a bunch of my 9mm bullets of the tip to the base and got pretty much the same variations mentioned. I bought a mandrel for my Hornady OAL comparator and found those same bullet all to measure within 0.001 off the ogive.

You are always going to get variations measuring actual OAL length when measuring from bullet tip to case base. I experimented and measured a bunch of my 9mm bullets of the tip to the base and got pretty much the same variations mentioned. I bought a mandrel for my Hornady OAL comparator and found those same bullet all to measure within 0.001 off the ogive.
lol yes indeed. When I used 121 IFP's I would push against the bench and get a lot shorter measurement. I freaked out until I realized I was smushing the soft tip

A COL variation of .005" can be ingored - you will not see any results of it on paper.

Certainly true for handgun, maybe not for rifle depending on what one is doing and the rifle/shooter capabilities.

A COL variation of .005" can be ingored - you will not see any results of it on paper.

Certainly true for handgun, maybe not for rifle depending on what one is doing and the rifle/shooter capabilities.

Dude... C'mon: We're talking about 9mm, specifically, here.

You know, mixed brass, etc? Don't confuse the poor dude...

I use the Unique Tech clamp kit, and my deviation is usually never more than .003.

Having said that, I recently purchased a new tool head for my 650 to load .380.

The new tool head was different than my other ones, all about 2 years old.

The top edge of the flange? that slides into the slot in the press had a 45* bevel on the top edge.

I inserted the new tool head, and with the standard holding pins, it was obvious that it was much tighter, less up and down movement than my older heads.

Continuing improvement is great.

Dude... C'mon: We're talking about 9mm, specifically, here.

You know, mixed brass, etc? Don't confuse the poor dude...

You're right. For handgun you can safely ignore this kind of variance.

Sorry to keep this going....Loaded some Xtreme 147 RN last weekend , instead of the usual HP, and noticed a much smaller deviation in COL than the HP......I must admit , I was pretty impressed with the consistency ....but I like the HP's.......fun facts to know and tell......Thanks again for the input!!!!

Sorry to keep this going....Loaded some Xtreme 147 RN last weekend , instead of the usual HP, and noticed a much smaller deviation in COL than the HP......I must admit , I was pretty impressed with the consistency ....but I like the HP's.......fun facts to know and tell......Thanks again for the input!!!!

Why do you like the HP Better? I have always used RN.