Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New brass bright wet beads of kalamazoo

durdy1

I was talking to a friend about how much I hate the dust from tumbling brass with corn cob media. He recommended that I check out these new brass bright polishing beads. I have checked them out and they look interesting and good. They say they are super efficient and effective. I am sick of the dust getting all over everything including my sinuses, and taking 3+hours. Then there is still dust on the brass which enters my case feeder and dies. Does anyone have any experience with them?

https://shootbrassbright.wordpress.com and they also have a facebook page.

I was talking to a friend about how much I hate the dust from tumbling brass with corn cob media. He recommended that I check out these new brass bright polishing beads. I have checked them out and they look interesting and good. They say they are super efficient and effective. I am sick of the dust getting all over everything including my sinuses, and taking 3+hours. Then there is still dust on the brass which enters my case feeder and dies. Does anyone have any experience with them?

https://shootbrassbright.wordpress.com and they also have a facebook page.

So it is purely a coincidence that you are from Kalamazoo and the seller of these beads is from Kalamazoo?

Looks like another form of wet tumbling to me, there are people using other types of spheres too (stainless steel), various other shapes and materials. I have yet to see anything get into the corners of primer pockets as well as pins.

The tumbling process itself creates dust since material (dirt/fouling) is being removed from the cases. No fancy tumbling media will eliminate it. Switching to a wet tumbling system or an ultrasonic is the only way to completely eliminate dust.

However, there are many tricks to reduce dust. A cheap (free!) method is to throw some used dryer sheets in your tumbler. Not only do they reduce dust dramatically, they help prevent static electricity. I'd give that a try and see if it's good enough before pulling out my wallet.

Yeah at that point why just not tumble with the ss pins and be done with it? Most people I know that use corn cob or such dry methods do so to save a step or two. If the brass is already wet ya might as well build yourself a wet tumbler and be done with it.

Edited by bfalcon00

You can dry tumble dust free by adding a couple of teaspoons of mineral oil to walnut media for cleaning and a couple of teaspoons of NuFinish car polish to the corn media for polishing. Plus the additive "loads" the media so it lasts far longer than dry. I run 2 tumblers overnight on a timer. After the corn media the cases are so slick there is no need for case lube at all.

image36929.jpg

Edited by 9x45

Double for durdy, better check the press weight on your keyboard. Both dry tumbling (various recipes) and wet SS pin tumbling (various recipes), and ultrasonics have been around for decades. Everyone has their own preference, however it sounds like you just really want to try the magic beads. I think you should and let everyone know if the work good.

The ceramic media is what was used in rotary tumblers before the stainless pin route was discovered. There are many different types of ceramic media, and most guys seemed to use the atick type with the ends clipped at an angle. This was especially popular with black powder shooters ten years ago or so. I'm a bit surprised to see someone using round ball media, but there are all sorts of different types of ceramic media. Here's a small sample:

http://www.vibrafinish.com/vibratory-media-ceramic-sp.html

Hmm... Thanks but no thanks... Here's a quote from their website:

"We’ve found that on occasion the ceramic beads will get themselves stuck into a shell casing during the polishing and tumbling process. You’ll notice this during the Completion Step (#10).

To remedy the issue, we suggest a small probe or other pointed tool (screwdriver) to easily pick out the beads with just a little pressure.

Always inspect the casing to make certain it is clean."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's this dust issue people complain about with dry tumbling? Doesn't the lid on your vibratory tumbler prevent any dust from making its way onto everything?

I too use the dryer sheets in my tumblers to help collect dirt and prolong the life of my media. I also use the same 2 tumbler method that 9x45 described above. If you like unnecessarily shiny brass, it beats the heck out of a single vibratory.

"We’ve found that on occasion the ceramic beads will get themselves stuck into a shell casing during the polishing and tumbling process. You’ll notice this during the Completion Step (#10).

To remedy the issue, we suggest a small probe or other pointed tool (screwdriver) to easily pick out the beads with just a little pressure.

I missed that part of the description. If that is the case there is no way I am interested in those. If they are stating that right there on their website, I am willing to bet it happens more than just once in a while.

if you don't like dust buy the lyman green corncob media. yes it's more expensive than plain corncob or crushed walnut but it cleans very well, lasts a loooong time and has zero dust. I had 40kgs of corncob and walnut and gave it all away after trying the lyman media that I got free with a lyman tumbler I bought. now i only use the lyman stuff. no need to dose with polish or wax, no need to add dryer sheets etc. When new it tumbles brass to like new in 40min. as it gets loaded up with crud that time lengthens out to about 3hrs and much past that I chuck it and put in a new batch. one batch usually lasts me a year at a rate of about 8,000-10,000 rounds per year.

weird. I don't load 40 but I can't ever honestly remember having any of it stuck in a primer pocket in 9mm or 38 super. I've tumbled more than 20 thousand rounds with the green media now. Maybe they changed grain size in the last couple years? I don't even use a 'proper' media separator. I just slap a bucket on top of the tumbler (which has a slotted lid), invert them, shake for 30 seconds, then remove tumbler from bucket (bucket now full of media), take lid off, fit a colander into the bucket and shake out the brass into the colander which lets any final few media pieces fall into bucket. maybe i've always been lucky and they come out during decapping but I've never seen one.

actually one thing. I tumble with brass still primed. d'uh! no wonder it's not a problem for me!

I bring brass home after being shot. straight into tumbler. I sort it after it's been tumbled (and weed out any split or damaged cases). I like doing it that way as it's nicer to handle the brass once clean and easier to spot problems when clean too.

I think tubling with de-primed brass you will get stuff stuck in primer pockets. happens with various types of media including wet tumbling with pins.

From my shotgun reloading, I will say that round is not that good. I have had shot jam in the reloader more than once.

How come no one believes in the old magic anymore? Is it too low tech, or not new and cool? I guess, after all it has worked only for decades, long before it was hep for corn and walnut to be green. Hey, just like in competition shooting, only the results count!

Edited by 9x45