Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacement for SR 7625

Buzzdraw

Anyone know a near direct replacement for the recently discontinued SR 7625 powder? Pulling another powder off the burn rate chart isn't necessarily the fix as I am looking for a low burn temperature characteristic too, as 7625 has. My application is 9mm Luger with coated bullet. Other potential replacements, such as TiteGroup and Universal burn too hot; hot enough to melt through the bullet coating on its base.

I remember hearing an interview with Hodgdon, they claimed 700X was the replacement, however, I used 7625 for my .40 loads and had no trouble making power factor, 700X would not without exceeding suggested max load. Now, that may be a different situation with 9mm.

I remember hearing an interview with Hodgdon, they claimed 700X was the replacement, however, I used 7625 for my .40 loads and had no trouble making power factor, 700X would not without exceeding suggested max load. Now, that may be a different situation with 9mm.

700X is a pretty dismally dirty replacement. Not as accurate either.

Hard times call for drastic measures. No 7625, no WST, no N320 etc, bought what they had Red Dot, not bad, and it smells good. LOL

Hello Coco! Sorry to hear that you're having a tough time finding powder. If you get real desperate, there is always Titepoop. Edited by Red Ryder

Still looking for that replacement for 7625. Tried Alliant E3; takes 4.0 gr to make 130PF with a 125 gr HiTek coated in a Glock 19 with Lone Wolf barrel. Tried WST; takes 4.5 gr to make similar PF with same 125 gr bullet. Both are clean burning and reasonably cool. Neither are as accurate as 7625.

Shadow,

How many grains of IMR 4756 powder do you use to make major in 38 Super?

Would it work with 124 grain Montana Gold (HP) bullets?

Ranger6

I don't use it (I prefer 3N38), but my friend's load is 8.2 with a Montana Gold 124 CMJ at 1.250 with 4 barrel holes. Start at the 7.5 suggested above and work up.

Yes, it works great with 124 Montana Gold JHP.