Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accu Shadow OAL

MissionaryMike

So I'm putting together loads, and my Accu Shadow will cycle dummy rounds at 1.125 with no problems at all, and it passes the plunk test (easy in, easy out). It'll even cycle 1.130 most of the time. However, the base of the case sits above the hood.

Should I be worried about this, or am I GTG as long my gun will eat the ammo?

I was loading mine down to 1.110-1.115" using mg 124g cmj and didn't have any issues. Crono it to see if you are at the speed for pf. I think I got that info from the folks on the cz forum.

Edited by dr2e

It would help to post what bullet you are using, as the shapes are different.

Using MG 124jhp, max is 1.090" for my Accu Shadow, which is what my friends Accu Shadow takes as well.

This!

Bullet type has makes a big difference in mine. Round nose can often be loaded much longer than HP.

Best is to look up how to do a "push test" and figure out what the max is for YOUR chamber.

I've been loading Xtreme 147 copper plated with an oal of 1.125. Prior to that I loaded several thousand at 1.135 and had no issues at all in my Accu. But after reading about the oal from other Accu or Shadow shooters I backed it down to 1.125.

Push test for max over all legnth?

Using 10 once-fired Starline brass, purchased brand new by me, my push test results were as follows:

b#1 = 1.1285

b#2 = 1.1475

b#3 = 1.1335

b#4 = 1.1290

b#5 = 1.1280

b#6 = 1.1315

b#7 = 1.1275

b#8 = 1.1190

b#9 = 1.1275

b#10 = 1.1295

I would say the results are inconsistent. Some of them came out similar, but with the disparity of the rest of them, I don't think I can conclude anything. I'll retest after dinner.

Plunk to get max OAL, then try a plunk and spin with a finished round.

Looked at both your threads and it sounds like you're 1.125" with 147gr lead flat nose? It's all about the bullet profile. And it looks like there's some variation in your bullets. If stick with the shortest measurement.

Edited by IronicTwitch

Plunk to get max OAL, then try a plunk and spin with a finished round.

Looked at both your threads and it sounds like you're 1.125" with 147gr Xtreme RN? If yes, that's consistent with what I've seen others using, myself included, in our CZ's.

No, 147 gr flat point Black Bullets international hi tek coated lead.

Beven Grams

Grams Engineering (949-548-3745)
http://www.gramsengineering.com

I sent my SP01 barrel to him and he reamed my chamber for me. I think it was about 20 bucks. Give him a call, nice guy.

No more worrying about oal. I load for several different guns and don't want to load different rounds for different guns.

Edited by corny

FWIW I can't tell you how many thousands of BBI 147s I have loaded at 1.140 and 1.135 in my two SP-01 Shadows without issue. This was using the old molly BBIs and the newer hi tek coating. I just ordered up my first case of the newest grooveless hi tek BBIs so I can't speak to those yet. The reason I ended up backing down to 1.135 was because 1.140 seemed to be on the edge of what my guns will take and 1.135 seem to give a little safety when you get rounds off the press that end up a little longer than you would like when using mixed brass.

Edited by Patrick Scott

• 3 weeks later...

I have been loading 1.137 with 124 extreme. It was my standard load for glocks and they dropped in to the barrel without hanging up. One of the other shooters at the match was commenting on how far the brass was ejecting though. What is average? Mine was ejecting a good 10 feet out of the cz but will barely function a glock.

147 BBI 1.105 OAL, 3.3gr VV N320, FedSPP (132 PF) is what I found most accurate in my Accu.

This OAL works great with BBI 147 for me, also have been able to load Berrys 124 and Xtreme 147 up to 1.12 / 1.13 because of the bullet profile. But others less than 1.10 like hollow point.

You definitely need to do plunk/spin test to see what works for you for any bullet. If case is sitting above the hood, that's not right, its hitting something. My guess if you try to spin it it will dig into rifling, maybe too long.

147 BBI 1.105 OAL, 3.3gr VV N320, FedSPP (132 PF) is what I found most accurate in my Accu.

This OAL works great with BBI 147 for me, also have been able to load Berrys 124 and Xtreme 147 up to 1.12 / 1.13 because of the bullet profile. But others less than 1.10 like hollow point.

You definitely need to do plunk/spin test to see what works for you for any bullet. If case is sitting above the hood, that's not right, its hitting something. My guess if you try to spin it it will dig into rifling, maybe too long.

I've done all that. My longer loads plunk and spin just fine - no digging into the rifling. I'm not concerned about the rim sitting above the hood of the barrel any longer.