Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Area 8: CZ Custom SP-01 failed Box Test

sudoshakes

Do you have a set of calipers available to check the actual height of the rear sight (from the top flat of the slide)?

I measured the rear sight from the top of the slide: measurements are in inches and only approximate as the sight orientation doesn't allow for easy measurement from the top of the slide: Using Frankford arsenal calipers I get 0.352 from the slide top to the top of the read sight.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Problem #1 you have a variety of magazines. This is just setting you up to fail. The fix= get rid of all the magazine/base pad that don't fit the box, replace with ones that fit the box. This way there will be no mistakes of I grab the wrong mag from my belt in the future.

I am not disagreeing with you on the magazine variety being a non-ideal situation. I was ordering them as I could based on budget. I had the three I got with the gun, and had some mecgars as well. I had gotten springer base pads to make them all the same height, as you can order them for each mag to make them match. Springer did not have enough bare aluminum base pads to fulfill my order so I only had them on 4 out of 6 magazines by the time I left for area 8. Otherwise, i would have had them all the same.

I worked the chrono stage on Thursday while staff shot, the box is certainly metal. It's the offical USPSA box with hinged metal lid. We had atleast 5 SP01's and shadows come through while I was there that all passed. My own SP01 Shadow Target with factory shadow mag fit as well. The box that's being used was on the uspsa store prior to them 'closing it for renovations', not sure who the manufacturer is.

"Handgun with empty magazines inserted must fit wholly within a box with internal dimensions of 8 15/16” x 6” x 1 5/8” (tolerance +1/16”, -0”) (USPSA Rules, Feb 2014)"

Simple check, draw a box on paper, see if you can place gun with your magazine combo fully within your lines looking down on all edges. I did this on the back side of my cleaning mat on the gun bench when I started shooting a grand power in production, as it didn't look like it'd fit (but did, passing my test and the box at A6 in April). Sorry it happened at a major match though.

Then they might have used a different box the day I shot. It was absolutely 100% not metal to the touch when I was at the tent. If it was painted/ coated in something that made it feel plastic, then OK, but it did not appear that way from my limited interaction with it.

Edited by sudoshakes

My Shadow sp01 and my daughters sp01 passed. We are using sp base pads. Both were very close, but they always are really close. I am pretty sure the box was polymer. I can look tomorrow and try to measure with pictures.

That would be great if you could do that for me. Thanks!

Measured it is built to the big end of tolerances, post coming later with pics.

To the OP… what rear sight are you running? I had two SP01s: the one with adjustable rear fit the box easily with CZ 18 round, and the one with competition rear was noticeably tighter.

Do you have a set of calipers available to check the actual height of the rear sight (from the top flat of the slide)?

I measured the rear sight from the top of the slide: measurements are in inches and only approximate as the sight orientation doesn't allow for easy measurement from the top of the slide: Using Frankford arsenal calipers I get 0.352 from the slide top to the top of the read sight.

That's considerably taller than mine, which is about 0.265" above the slide. (I actually measured it by the total height of the slide + sight, then minus the slide itself - you are correct that attempting to measure it directly may be hard depending on the sight you use.)

And this is why I think having a box for Production is just plain stupid. The gun is on the Prod Div Approved list. A slight variation in gun manufacturers tolerances should not bump a Prod gun into Open.

If the box said "USPSA Box" on the lid, it is the official box manufactured by Evolution Gun Works in Pennsylvania exclusively for USPSA. The coating is a "crinkle coat", almost like truck bedliner, so I can see how it would feel "plastic".

I have measured a good number of CZs (standard 75s, SP-01s, and Shadows/Accu-Shadows). I have yet seen one fail. I wonder if they're using a different sight that may be taller. I can't imagine there being that much tolerance in frame dimensions....

General comments. Several years ago I experienced a problem with "the box" at a nationals. My pistol fit, but left go gouge marks in the box. Stock SP01, factory sights, factory mags and base pads. Only external mod on the pistol was comp hammer. Like you height was the problem. Another Production shooter (who will remain unnamed literally pounded his pistol into the box with a fist. The box was under sized and has been retired to wherever retired boxes go. Never had a problem before or since with the box.

That said, without measuring the box you do not know if it was within spec. I do not want to sound like I am criticizing the Chrono staff. I am not. Did they confirm the box met specs? Daily? Metals are temp sensitive. Most expand with increase in temps, but not all. A red flag for the RM(s) was 5 or more going open due to box issues, I would think. Maybe RM(s) and/or chrono should or did verify the box met specs.

There are potential issues with mags and manufacturing variations.

I used Visio and drew a box to size. (a real pain since Visio bases distances between lines measured center to center). Printed the template. Re-measured to ensure the printer did not shrink or enlarge the drawing. Laminate and you have a way to test.

Final comment, since match results are probably final by now, I doubt anything can be done re match results.

General comments. Several years ago I experienced a problem with "the box" at a nationals. My pistol fit, but left go gouge marks in the box. Stock SP01, factory sights, factory mags and base pads. Only external mod on the pistol was comp hammer. Like you height was the problem. Another Production shooter (who will remain unnamed literally pounded his pistol into the box with a fist. The box was under sized and has been retired to wherever retired boxes go. Never had a problem before or since with the box.

That said, without measuring the box you do not know if it was within spec. I do not want to sound like I am criticizing the Chrono staff. I am not. Did they confirm the box met specs? Daily? Metals are temp sensitive. Most expand with increase in temps, but not all. A red flag for the RM(s) was 5 or more going open due to box issues, I would think. Maybe RM(s) and/or chrono should or did verify the box met specs.

For the third time, I measures the box. It has on the large side of the tolerances. It was in the morning before shooting, so coldest part of the day.

I did some measuring tonight this is what I found....

My two SP-01s have CGW Dawson made competition sight. All my mags have Springer Precision base pads.

My California legal Mac-Gar 10 rounders cleared 6 inches by .005 or so inches. It was tight :/

My stock CA 18 rounders blocked to 10 rounds....no way Jose, they were .020 to .025 off.

Well now I know I need to get more Mac-Gars. Which sucks since I have 10 factory CZ 18 rounders.

Poop.

Edited by mjmagee67

I was at the Minnesota sectional this year with my stock accushadow, factory 18 round mags with SP basepads and it barely fit in the box. When I first set it in the box, I was sure it wasn't going to fit. if it wasn't for the spring loaded Hajo sight and a few "light" taps, it would have been a no go.

This is one reason I switched to the nickel plated mags with the thin basepad. There is never an issue of box fitment. I'm sorry your tolerances were off. I just measured one of my Shadows and its rear sight measured 0.370" in height total.

I was at the Minnesota sectional this year with my stock accushadow, factory 18 round mags with SP basepads and it barely fit in the box. When I first set it in the box, I was sure it wasn't going to fit. if it wasn't for the spring loaded Hajo sight and a few "light" taps, it would have been a no go.

That is interesting, I was at the same match. I also have an Accu, but running the Mec-Gars with Springer pads and it dropped it no problem. Wasn't even close.

Jon

attached in the vertical measurement, as you can see the box is on the high side of the measurements. I think CZ should investigate.

From that angle it looks like that box is 1/32" under.

Yes, handgun with empty magazine inserted must fit wholly within a box with internal dimensions of 8 15/16 x 6 x 1 5/8 (tolerance +1/16, -0)

So 6" + 1/16" would be the large side of the tolerances, right? It looks like 6 + 3/32" in the pic.

I'm saying it looks like a touch over 6 +1/32" from that angle...But not quite 6 + 1/16".

You're there actually measuring it though and I'm looking at a picture. I trust your measuring skills.

Edited by d_striker