Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a New Destination Match

I'm going to try wording this without bashing another match too badly.

My group of shooting buddies & I went to the last 4 Ft. Benning matches. It was usually our one big out of state 3 gun match a year. We went for the cool Army props, the Infantry Museum, a stop at Ranger Joe's, dinner at someplace new, the awesome stages the AMU would put together, etc. It was a destination match.

I went to the first Pro/Am by myself. I came home & told my pals about eating lunch with Mark Larue at his traveling smoker, having a conversation with Ian from Top Shot, buying stuff at all the cool vendors, the great dinner served after the prize table, meeting or at least seeing all the top shooters in our sport, how the stages ran on time & were at least fun to shoot (though not Ft. Benning cool), and that I got a new Colt rifle from the random prize drawing.

Fast forward to this year, and let's just say none of the above happened. We are looking for a new destination match that is no more than one day's drive from SW Ohio. Is there a match that can be what the Pro/Am was it's first year?

FNH at Peacemaker in Glengary, WV

Tarheel at Woody's in New Hill, NC

3 Man 3 Gun Team Event in Topton, PA (stick around an extra day and go see Gettysburg)

Edited by Moltke

Not sure if this will meet your 1 day drive, X-Treme Bullets Texas 3-Gun Championship in Marble Falls @ Copperhead Creek. Texas Hill Country, lakes, good food. Located in an RV park and camp ground. Great match, good people, excellent RO's. April8 -10th.

gerritm

FNH definitely has a lot going for it. Half-day format gives you tons of time to shoot demo guns and side matches (which have been plentiful), shooters don't have to reset and tape targets, and a ridiculous prize table... it was a little "light" last year, and still bigger than any other match I've been to.

My favorite part is the definitely the stages though... lots of shooter options, the opportunity to run all 3 guns on every stage, and a fantastic mix of speed/technical stuff, just physical "enough" to make it interesting without becoming a track meet.

Interestingly enough, FNH this year is pushing the match to 10 stages, rather than 9, while keeping the shooting to 3 half-day zones. I am all in favor; the only other 10 stage major match I have done was this years Texas 3-Gun, which gerritm mentioned above.

This almost assuredly does not meet your definition of driving distance, but I really want to make Rocky Mountain 3-Gun my "destination" match for next year.

Look in the FNH thread, Larry lists off the side matches. There are several demos, FNH guns usually. It is my favorite match of the year. I enjoyed Tar Heel as well. The heat is a little tough on a fat guy from the north.

Edited by bmiller

How does FNH compare to Tarheel if this was going to be my one big match for the year? I'm just as interested in demos and side matches as I am the actual match.

They are both fantastic matches. If I had to pick one, it would be FNH. It kind of has a "next level" feel to it, with great stages, superb organization, and an awesome awards banquet/prize table. It's also 3 days of shooting, with 1-2 more stages than Tarheel. Not to take anything away from the Tarheel match, it's on my "must shoot" list as well.

Nothing else has the social aspect that ProAm had with the lodge being on the range. Most matches everyone goes their separate ways after the shooting stops. FNH or Gen 3 Gun both have a good awards banquet party. I doubt we ever see another match/event like ft benning or ProAm 2011.

This almost assuredly does not meet your definition of driving distance, but I really want to make Rocky Mountain 3-Gun my "destination" match for next year.

Having been to RM3G as a spectator and finally as a competitor this year, I feel it should be on every 3gunners list to shoot at least once, if not every year.

I work FNH, and shoot Rocky Mountain. Both are very good matches, and worth the travel in my opinion. I think you'll have to do some research to find a match with the type of stages you'd enjoy shooting. The other things that were offered at the early Pro Am matches just aren't common, they were the exception, not the rule.

FNH does have other activities, more product demo areas rather than a "side match" for the most part. It also has an awards dinner. Food then the prize tables.

Rocky Mountain has a Junior benefit dinner, with raffles to raise money for junior programs. Lot's of socializing afterward. Spectacular place to shoot.

We are going to have some cool things going on in addition to the match at Texas 3 Gun Championship next year.

Planning a couple of side matches to raise some money for my favorite Veterans Services Organization, the Boot Campaign. We are working on getting discounts for rounds of Sporting Clays for competitors and giving a gun on a raffle basis to everyone who shoots sporting clays. We hope to have some other vendor demo's going.

If nothing else, you will shoot a mini gun to start one of the stages (off the clock) and we will be doing a shotgun start for each shooting shift with a 105mm Howitzer.

Half days, fun stuff to do when not shooting, and awesome Texas Hill Country lakes....

We are going to have some cool things going on in addition to the match at Texas 3 Gun Championship next year.

Planning a couple of side matches to raise some money for my favorite Veterans Services Organization, the Boot Campaign. We are working on getting discounts for rounds of Sporting Clays for competitors and giving a gun on a raffle basis to everyone who shoots sporting clays. We hope to have some other vendor demo's going.

If nothing else, you will shoot a mini gun to start one of the stages (off the clock) and we will be doing a shotgun start for each shooting shift with a 105mm Howitzer.

Half days, fun stuff to do when not shooting, and awesome Texas Hill Country lakes....

Matches in April don't count because I can't attend.

Seriously though everyone I talk to has had great things to say about this match.