Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I've fallen out of love

aandabooks

With the idea of shooting revolver in competition. Been a production shooter for a couple years and have shot revolver a couple times. I've managed to acquire both a 625 and 627, SC brass, a pile of moonclips for each one and all the other goodies. But I just can't seem to get in the mood to put in the work that revolver division requires. There is no real participation in the division in the area and I think that is part of my problem.

The other part is that I got my hands on a SigMax .45 that I absolutely love. The question I am asking myself is what to do now. I don't want to sell everything off because if I do I feel like I will regret it. But if I'm not going to shoot them I don't just want them collecting dust. If I'm ever going to make it "M" class or better I'm going to have to concentrate on one gun platform and quit messing around in multiple divisions.

What would you do in this situation?

If your goal is to make Master, I'd concentrate on one platform and one division and practice. I have no illusions that I'll make master, so I just shoot what I feel like shooting this week. So far, I'm classified in all divisions except Carry Optics. I've already got the gun set up, just need to zero the red dot.

I think I can still make Master with some work. I'm currently 40 and have been shooting less than two years in USPSA and coming up on 4 years since picking up my first handgun.

I feel like my easiest and most direct path is to concentrate on production or shoot SS for the major pf.

Keep shooting Revolver at your local matches and encourage your fellow shooters to come out and play. You would be surprised how many guys have a revolver sitting at home. That was the approach I used at our club, and we now can have as many as 6 show up.

It's by far the hardest division to shoot, and it's fun to give the bottom feeders fits.....

I've been shooting single stack since January. I'm trying to earn a spot to single stack nats next year. It fits nicely with Revo nats.

I've been staring at the dummy cartridges loaded into the 625 moonclip on my bookshelf lately. As soon as I earn my single stack nationals spot, it's time to play with the 6-shot. You just can't help what you fall in love with. For me, it's the round gun.

Shoot what you love.

I'd seek out competition. Open up the distance you're willing to drive to find someone to shoot against. Plan to shoot Revolver nationals over at Barry. Plan to shoot the midwest ICORE regional this october over in Iowa. Plan to shoot Memphis Charity classic in the spring. Look east and west of you. There's competition there.at state and section matches in Iowa and Indiana. It's hard to find competition when you aren't willing to stick with it. You haven't even started. Perhaps once you start shooting regularly, you might find some people who would like to dust off their rigs and shoot with you. Look at how you finish in the overall standings, figure out who you are close to and call them your competition and set out to beat them.

Tom at TK Custom and his grandson shoot a lot in central IL. Hook up with them and go for it.

Also consider shooting the 8 shot in production. I bet you can finish mid pack.

Everyone will see how much fun you are having.

It will turn heads and soon other shooters will do the same.

Edited by GMM50

I am just starting in revolver. I currently only shoot limited. I decided I needed to slow down and focus on my sights more, so I figure revolver minor would be a great way to force myself into taking a bit more time.

We only have mainly one person who shoots revolver here, so I understand what your saying. But I am the kinda person who likes being a bit different and I am thinking this is going to be a lot of fun and a lot of learning on my part.

Don't give up on your wheel gun. Give it a chance...who knows....you may be the next JM???

I'm not a USPSA shooter (yet), but I am a very experienced shooter who shoots other sports. Nothing, and I mean nothing, will make you a more disciplined pistolero than mastering double-action revo shooting. When I start developing a bad habit, I pull out a wheelgun and start working the little plates slow and steady. My #1 gripe with some of the guys I shoot with is that they can't master trigger control. DA wheelguns work out the kinks. I once learned from a very famous pro shooter to "drag your finger through peanut butter", and it does help.

Edited by RippinSVT

I just started before I deployed and got about 5 matches in here is what I think.

1. I shoot for fun I don't take it deathly serious

2. Its awesome to watch peoples face when you can reload faster then them.

3. Its awesome to watch peoples faces when you shoot steel including Stars, Plate Rates 1 for 1

4. Its awesome when you can beat your buddies who use autoloaders

5. Never need to pickup brass (Most people pickup all moons while shooting and hand them to you personally)

6. And its just plain old FUN

Edited by deerassassin22

Revolver shooting sure does teach you trigger control :-)

This!!

Rarely do I hear someone with lots of revolver experience complain about trigger control across platforms. Revolver really trains you to watch that front sigh and to have follow-through.

Revolver shooting sure does teach you trigger control :-)

comme ça? :goof:

(a Carmoney-tuned gun, btw)

As to the OP, I just like shooting revolvers, and shoot to get better & better, so it doesn't matter to me who might or might not be at the match. I've switched up now and then (to semi-autos and rifle) for a little change of pace, but in the end, I admit the revolver's got me by the shorts.

If you're not in love with it anymore, I can understand that, sometimes I've felt that way about other activities I am involved in. What I have found though, is that I come back around to them eventually, I start to miss them. I would recommend holding onto your gear and see if the love doesn't come back. I also want to extend an invitation to you to come shoot ICORE with us in Southern IN (Silver Creek Conservation Club) if you want to venture out a little bit. Our first match back this year will be Sept. 27, possible one in October, and will resume in the spring hopefully with regularly scheduled monthly matches.

I was at a steel match this morning and the MD for our USPSA matches is setting up a revolver neutral 5 stage match + classifier for next weeks match. No more than 6 shots from any position. Maybe I'll dryfire all week with the revos and then I'll get back to my production gun for the IL Sectional.

I've decided I'm not selling anything yet. Both my 625 and 627 are fully tuned up. If I sell them now I just know I will regret it and both of them were difficult to track down without paying a fortune for them.

I used to be pretty good with a revolver but put it down to play with other guns (so many guns and so little time) :roflol:

I was waiting for a Open Class gun to get returned from trigger work and wondered what I wanted to shoot at my monthly IDPA club match. Picked up the revo, found plenty of previously loaded ammo, ran it on my range... and had a ball!

If you're not currently having fun with your revo, just sit it in the gun safe. At some point in time you might want to come back to it. They are cool!

They'll also sort out trigger control problems with the 'endless bottom feeders'. Revos have their uses.

I just started before I deployed and got about 5 matches in here is what I think.

1. I shoot for fun I don't take it deathly serious

2. Its awesome to watch peoples face when you can reload faster then them.

3. Its awesome to watch peoples faces when you shoot steel including Stars, Plate Rates 1 for 1

4. Its awesome when you can beat your buddies who use autoloaders

5. Never need to pickup brass (Most people pickup all moons while shooting and hand them to you personally)

6. And its just plain old FUN

What he said!!!

I was at a steel match this morning and the MD for our USPSA matches is setting up a revolver neutral 5 stage match + classifier for next weeks match. No more than 6 shots from any position. Maybe I'll dryfire all week with the revos and then I'll get back to my production gun for the IL Sectional.

I've decided I'm not selling anything yet. Both my 625 and 627 are fully tuned up. If I sell them now I just know I will regret it and both of them were difficult to track down without paying a fortune for them.

So true, I regret many pistols I've let go. Don't regret any of the ones I still have, even though I may not shoot them much anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Be the *one revolver guy* at the match, it's cooler then being just another production shooter.

Truth!

I was the sole revolver shooter at our last IDPA match. I ended up finishing 6th overall out of 34 shooters, and surprised more than a few people who had "assumed" a revolver reload was a lengthy process. ;)