Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dropped gun for the first time

Salsantini

I use a racemaster holster. Just finished the stage. Holstered the pistol so I thought. The RO called the line clear . I took one step and the pistol dropped into the dirt. I think I did not put the pistol in straight. It did push the locking block down. The pistol must of been on top of the locking block. I really felt foolish. I've never done that before.

After holstering the pistol did you engage the lock and check to see if indeed the pistol locked in? Easy fix and simple routine to avoid a dropped pistol in the future. Racemaster holsters are excellent holsters.

In 20+ years shooting USPSA, I had NEVER seen anyone drop a gun.

Then, a few months ago, TWO (2) shooters dropped their guns during

the same match (not the same COF). :surprise:

Both simply "dropped" their guns "INTO" the holster, but missed.

Couldn't believe it - I've lost my empty OPEN pistol from my OPEN

holster couple times (usually picking up brass) - but no one ever

noticed. :bow: :bow:

Take a few seconds and WATCH the gun go into the holster. I take my gun off after I shoot and put it back on when I'm in the "hole". Much more comfortable for me, especially when picking up brass, taping or resetting steel. Seconds to get it off and seconds to put it on.

I'm probably over cautious, but I even wiggle the firearm around a little bit in the holster before I'm confident it is locked in (open gun and Safariland 014 holster). But, being human like everyone else, I'm sure I will forget sometime and won it will go.

Thanks for the input. I am lucky I didn't get DQ'd. For the remaining stages I re-holstered, engaged the lock and pulled up on the pistol to make sure it was securely holstered. The Racemaster is new for me. I will be more careful.

that's one of the things I like about the Safariland 014 holster. The locking lever doesn't engage unless the gun is in the holster correctly .... when I first got it I thought it was broke becuase I couldn't make the lever lock until I realized how it worked ....:)

Edited by Nimitz

Two hints, one give an experimental tug after you have "locked" it in. Two do not move until the RO calls "Range is clear" I would much rather deal with a dropped gun outside of the COF than during it.

Amen. Flick the lock on and tug on the gun every time.

I dropped a gun because it wasn't locked, now I make sure it is locked, a couple of times while running and drawing, I snout ripped the holster off because I didn't unlock it.

Same here with my race master. Holster, lock and tug every time. It's subconscious now. What i always say is draw fast, reholster slow.

100% agree. You are not on the clock while holstering!