Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ 75 SP01 Shadow - CZ Custom vs. Automatic Accuracy

MilkMyDuds

I am currently looking to switch to CZ platform. I have been debating which one is the most competition ready (out of box) for USPSA production/IDPA SSP (no accu or target version as a result).

Between the CZ Custom (91030) - http://czcustom.com/shadowcustom2014blk.aspx

And the Automatic Accuracy (Mink) build - http://automaticaccuracy.net/?wpsc-product=deposit-for-sp-01-shadow-built-by-automatic-accuracy

I cannot make up my mind. The Mink build supposedly gives me more options, e.g. sights, safety, trigger, etc. but it is $200 more than the CZC version. And the CZC version probably already got the optimal/most popular options already.

Anyone has more insights as to which version fits me best? Thanks.

Coming over from the M&P as well huh? That seems to be a common trend these days. I was in the same boat a month or so ago so I will try to share my journey into the CZ platform. I purchased a stock SP-01 Shadow from CZC ($920 shipped). I then called David @ CGW and ordered all of the upgrades that he recommended which cost me about $225. I took the gun and parts to a local gunsmith who has worked on a few local competitors CZ guns and he polished everything up and installed the parts. I am very happy with what I have at this point. It is very different from the M&P and that in itself has presented a huge challenge for me but I am hoping to overcome that soon as I have seen the CZ is definitely a much more accurate platform, even in the hands of an M&P shooter.

With that said, if I had it to do over again and had the patience I would just order an SP-01 from CGW. He quoted me just over $1000 with competition sights installed and all worked over. I just didn't want to wait the quoted 7 weeks. If I end up sticking with the CZ, David will get my business for a backup gun for sure.

I have worked with Mink at Automatic Accuracy a number of times and had great service. He is good to work with and get you setup. I know my next build will be coming from him. Give him a call and see what he has to offer, never hurts to talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I switched to CZ I went with CZC because there was no wait on the gun I wanted. My friends ordered from Mink. They are both great guns, but the one from CZC had a little lighter trigger.

You can also customize your gun from CZC, give Stuart a call he can help you out.

I have a CZC Accu Shadow and an Accu Shadow worked over by Mink at Automatic Accuracy. The CZC Accu is great. However, I prefer the Mink Accu. I told Matt I didn't want a super light trigger pull. I wanted it crisp and smooth. And that's what I got. The trigger pull is just a hair under 3# SA and about 5.5# DA. Right where I want it. Buttery smooth and the trigger break is like snapping a glass rod. Again, they are both great. But the Mink Accu has the trigger exactly as I want it.

I made the switch froma plastic gun to a cz in the past couple months. I ordered a shadow target from czc. It was so awesome I had to order another. Wish I would have just ordered two from the get to to save a little money on shipping and transfer fees and also time.

They come ready to rock for use with a 13lb main spring. If you want to go lighter, which they dont recommend, you'll have to do some tuning.

Getting used to it won't be an issue for you. It only took like a week for me to get comfortable with it. Now the thing feels like an extension of my hand.

Stuart at czc is awesome.

I am currently looking to switch to CZ platform. I have been debating which one is the most competition ready (out of box) for USPSA production/IDPA SSP (no accu or target version as a result).

Between the CZ Custom (91030) - http://czcustom.com/shadowcustom2014blk.aspx

And the Automatic Accuracy (Mink) build - http://automaticaccuracy.net/?wpsc-product=deposit-for-sp-01-shadow-built-by-automatic-accuracy

I cannot make up my mind. The Mink build supposedly gives me more options, e.g. sights, safety, trigger, etc. but it is $200 more than the CZC version. And the CZC version probably already got the optimal/most popular options already.

Anyone has more insights as to which version fits me best? Thanks.

I don't think any of us can tell you which version fits you best. Everyone can tell you how much they like their own gun, or why they went with a particular gun, but not which one will be be better for you. That's all on you. Both guns are competition ready. Both are built by reputable shops. One costs a few dollars more, but not enough that it's a deal breaker. What are the wait times for each, and how impatient are you?

My first was a 91700 that I upgraded with CZC thin aluminum grips & hammer, and CGW adj. sear, trigger pin & springs. I did all the work myself, polishing etc. I shot that to get used to the platform while I waited on a 91700 I ordered from CGW with the "pro package". The one I built is now my backup although I'm glad I did this because I'm comfortable working on the platform now (30+ yrs building 1911's and others - never saw the inside of a CZ until I did this one). I personally think the extra ~$200 from CGW is worth the savings of my time though. It's definitely smoother than the one I built but not enough for me to really see a difference translate to how I run a stage. I'm planning on picking up a 85 combat to build up with a magwell and all the good CGW internals for 3-gun and steel. I've got a magwell on my backup gun right now for the Pro-Am but would rather keep it production ready and the 85 combat is pretty reasonable and has no FP block so I figure it's a good platform to play with.

I have a SP01 from Automatic Accuracy and Ive been impressed by it. I bought it from a friend (so I'm the 2nd owner). I talked to Matt about some issues I was having with it and he went above and beyond helping me get that bad boy up and running (even though I didn't buy the thing from him) so I'll be ordering a target shadow from Mr. Mink in the next week.

When it comes to any gun it honestly comes down to personal preference. I've had the good fortune of shooting CZs from CZ Custom and Automatic Accuracy and I think they're both outstanding. I'm choosing to go with Mink because of the service I received having not even been a customer.

Mink explains the price differentials in a podcast (it's Ben Stoeger's podcast, if you search for practical pistol show and matt's name on youtube it should be easy to find). Hope this helped.

Mink explains the price differentials in a podcast (it's Ben Stoeger's podcast, if you search for practical pistol show and matt's name on youtube it should be easy to find). Hope this helped.

Never listened to the podcast but I always assumed it was because of all the CZC parts that AA uses.

I have an accu from czc and a target from mink and I can't really tell that much difference between the two, but I'm just a 70% b class shooter. Mink is easy to deal with and I prefer AA b/c of that.

Never listened to the podcast but I always assumed it was because of all the CZC parts that AA uses.

He says something to the effect that his shop is smaller so they don't produce the quantity CZC does, apparently it's just Mink and one or two other smiths. I'll have to go back and listen to his explanation again before I start putting words in his mouth.

• 1 month later...

I got both and the czc was a lot better. Make sure you tell them that you want the competition trigger job. It's $100 more but well worth the money. Call and talk to Stuart, he's awesome

I'm currently looking at an accu from either AA or CZC. I've heard good things about both, can you expand on your preference and why the CZC was "a lot" better? Thanks!!

I have an Accu Shadow, and recently bumped into someone at a local range also with an Accu Shadow. I got mine from a seller on these forums in "new, unfired" condition - supposedly a back up gun. The other guy had one from AA. I liked his trigger better. Both the DA and SA seemed "shorter" even though I'm sure the actual pull lengths are the same, b/c his trigger felt lighter and smoother in both DA/SA. Mine is still nice. **Shrug**

The AA shadow which cost more money had a plain Jane trigger job. It just wasn't close to being on par with the czc. The double was 6.5lb and the single was about 4. I specifically asked for a competition race ready gun and did not receive that. It sucked. The czc shadow I now have is awesome. 4lb double and 1.14oz sgl. That's not for everyone but I like it a lot. It's clean, crisp and smooth. The springs are lite and you can only run federal primers but I'm ok with that. I think AA just sent me one straight out the box and I sent the gun back. Could just be a one time thing but who knows. I will just stick with czc and have Stuart do the trigger work. He's awesome and knows his stuff

Good info. Makes me feel good in my decision. Thanks for sharing, it confirmed a friends input after buying an AA accushadow. I have no doubt he can put out a good gun, but I've yet to read about a CZC gun not living up to expectations.

I have a stock accushadow from CZ custom which comes with trigger work from the shop. I have changed the trigger return spring for a CGW spring and changed the mainspring for an 11.5 pound CGW mainspring. I really like the trigger on it and it works great for me.

I have played with/dry fired some shadows that have been worked over by Automatic Accuracy and I can say that the triggers on the AA guns I've handled have definitely felt better on those guns than on mine. The trigger on my gun is pretty awesome too though so I really don't worry about it and just shoot it. I have an SP-01 shadow with no trigger work done to it at all except spring changes for a backup/practice gun and it shoot well too.

The point is, any of the choices you make are going to be good, don't agonize over it too much.

My Mink built "Jackson Package" has a much lighter trigger pull than my CZ Custom Shadow Target, 6lbs da vs 8lbs da, and probably a lb lighter on the SA side of the house. I have not changed springs on either of them, and it could be solely because my Mink build has a lot more rounds and dry fire on it. Both are butter smooth, but i'd have to drop a pre-b disconnector and a CGW 11.5 mainspring in the Shadow Target to elevate it from backup gun duty. I guess it depends on what you are looking for and what your expectations are, both are great, I just prefer my AA build to the CZC build. YMMV

Edited by tha1000