Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mag wells for single stack

Quag

I get it that the only rules regarding single stack for mag wells is the gun with an empty mag and the mag well has to fit in the USPSA box and it has to meet weight (43 oz I think). Anyone suggest some aftermarket mag wells?

thx

I get it that the only rules regarding single stack for mag wells is the gun with an empty mag and the mag well has to fit in the USPSA box and it has to meet weight (43 oz I think). Anyone suggest some aftermarket mag wells?

thx

Dawson Ice.

Is the tech well heavier the the Dawson steel?

Looking for something heavier then the Dawson ice with steel mainspring.

never weighed them. I just removed the ice from my CRP Trojan and went with the TGO set up. I would have had to change to no gap and then get 12 base pads for the Ice.

I have a 45 caliber range officer. I changed/added the following parts:

DSperman 19-20 closed front grips

Dawson ice no-gap magwell.

Dawson arched aluminum mainspring housing

An STI short nylon trigger

Dawson front sight

EGW full length guide rod

The gun weighs 41.5oz. With the factory GI guide rod it weighed 40 oz, the same as the factory advertised weight. I didn't weigh the parts individually, but the Ice magwell and mainspring housing weigh roughly the same as the factory steel mainspring housing alone.

From the Techwell website

IPSC Compliant SP Techwell weighs .6 oz.

IPSC Compliant TGO Techwell weighs .6 oz.

IPSC XT weighs .95 oz., IPSC Compliant Carry weighs .4 oz

and finally our Original XT Techwell weighs 1.2 oz.

Thx guys as usual good advice on this forum I was looking into the dawson ice anyway I guess its a question of gap or no gap or steel back strap or no back strap I have a SW 1911 pro 9mm

Thx guys as usual good advice on this forum I was looking into the dawson ice anyway I guess its a question of gap or no gap or steel back strap or no back strap I have a SW 1911 pro 9mm

I went with the Dawson IPSC magwell with the gap and their base pads on Wilson ETM's. I really like the overall system, and I have no desire to go to the larger ICE. I should add that I shot a nonmagwelled (if that's a word) Glock for years, so hitting the smaller opening isn't an issue for me. I also like the fact that my gun will fit in a Classic Division IPSC box as well as a USPSA box, should I decide to go to a straight IPSC match at some point in the future.

Having slightly conversed with Dawson, it's possible to swap out the IPSC magwell with the ICE magwell on the same mainspring housing by simply unscrewing one off and replacing it with the other. I think I mentioned to the rep at the time that the magwell alone wasn't for sale on their site (it's typically bought with the mainspring housing as a set) and the rep said that purchasing a magwell separately could be arranged through direct contact with Dawson.

If you purchase their IPSC Magwell and mainspring housing combo, it's all aluminum so there's no worry about going over weight.

NOTE: If you decide to go the Dawson route, get some blue loctite for the mag well screw, as mine will back out in about 5 shots without it.

If you're running a 9mm, you definitely need to consider weight of every component. I'd go aluminum on the Mainspring Housing.

9mm 1911s run heavy. The barrel is roughly the same diameter as the 45 barrels, but the hole drilled thru it is a lot smaller. That makes the walls thicker and therefore the barrel is heavier. You can exceed 43 ounces quickly on a 9....

When I got my 9mm, through an error in communications, I accidentally ordered the standard steel MSH with my ICE magwell. My Trojan went 44.1 as soon as I added it. This is with a steel guiderod, F/O sight, ambi safeties, and Dawson mags. As soon as I put the aluminum one on it, it came right into weight.

If you're running a 9mm, you definitely need to consider weight of every component. I'd go aluminum on the Mainspring Housing.

9mm 1911s run heavy. The barrel is roughly the same diameter as the 45 barrels, but the hole drilled thru it is a lot smaller. That makes the walls thicker and therefore the barrel is heavier. You can exceed 43 ounces quickly on a 9....

When I got my 9mm, through an error in communications, I accidentally ordered the standard steel MSH with my ICE magwell. My Trojan went 44.1 as soon as I added it. This is with a steel guiderod, F/O sight, ambi safeties, and Dawson mags. As soon as I put the aluminum one on it, it came right into weight.

Good points I'll start by weighing my 1911 I'm not going to make a lot of modifications I put on a Dawson fiber front sight and a lighter recoil spring I also shoot a G34 so I'm not looking for a monster mag well, I use Wilson mags. The sw 1911 pro has most of the mods I want right out of the box.

• 4 weeks later...