Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass "dust" loading 230g SNS RN?

SWHlctx

I'm loading 230gr 45ACP SNS RN on a Dillon 550B and getting a lot of brass dust (for lack of a better term). It looks like it is all being created at the crimp station (#4). I'm using a Dillon crimp die and the finished rounds measure 0.472 - 0.473 at the crimp, so it seems OK on the measurement.

I have some brass dust every once in awhile with 9mm, but not like I'm getting tonight. Damn dust is all over the press and me. I'm using fired brass that has been washed in SS and tumbled in cob/walnut mixture with Nu Finish polish. Also using Dillon lube prior to loading.

I haven't run much 45ACP (second time) so I don't know if the dust is normal with these or not? I wipe the rounds down anyway so the dust isn't going to get the gun, but its irritating. Any ideas or advice?

Is this a new problem or have you been experiencing this for some time? If it is still occurring after you clean your dies, I'd check your belling. If I remember correctly, the SNS coated bullets are gold in color. Are you sure you're not insufficiently belling the brass and scraping some of the coating off the bullets during seating? That could end up in your crimp die and might look like brass. I've had that happen to me with plated bullets so that is why I mentioned it.

Let us know what you find.

Yes the SNS RN are gold, but it isn't the problem. I'm using a Double Alpha powder funnel die and it is set perfect to bell (or expand) the brass. Also I switched over to Blue Bullets RN and get the shiny flakes. Looks like there is gold dust on the shell plate and in the bullet catch bin.

I cleaned all four dies as good as I know how. After cleaning I use a little One Shot and wiped them down good again. That helped a lot, but I'm still getting some flakes.

I'll try cleaning them again and see if that helps some more.

It has been going on awhile. I understand what you mean about the SNS flaking off, but I get the same thing with Blue Bullets RN. I use a Double Alpha Powder funnel die and it is set perfect.

I cleaned the dies as best I could and it help eliminate about all of it, but I'm still getting some flaking of the brass. I've got the damn stuff in the bullet bin and on the shell plate.

I'm going to clean them again to see if missed something I'm using a Redding Micrometer Crimp. I might switch to the Dillon die and see if there is a difference.

Sorry double post.

Edited by SWHlctx

I also get the brass dust when loading on my 550. I have found that when the bell is a hair too much, the edge of the case mouth gets scraped when going into the seating die (Hornady with bullet aligning collar). I can even get an almost complete ring of hair thin brass if I bell a little further. I just have to adjust my bell to a little less and I am good to go. Even though the scraping is happening at the seating die, the brass dust always ends up at the crimp station. I think the crimp die "wipes" all the dust off as it enters the die (Lee factory crimp).

I rarely load .45 ACP, but have had experiences similar to Flash74.

Since I starte to load coated bullets, to avoid scraping off the coating and to help with setting the bullet onto the belled case more easily in the upright position, I've increased my bell. Since then I've been getting much more of the brass dusting than previously.

• 2 weeks later...

I can even get an almost complete ring of hair thin brass if I bell a little further. I just have to adjust my bell to a little less and I am good to go. Even though the scraping is happening at the seating die, the brass dust always ends up at the crimp station. I think the crimp die "wipes" all the dust off as it enters the die (Lee factory crimp).

I had the exact same experience with lee dies. The inside of the bullet seating die is pretty rough. After I cleaned it out, no more brass shavings

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had a Dillon 550 for 7+ years now. I use Dillon dies at all stations. I've always reloading 9mm and 40 and have never seen this problem. A couple months ago I got into reloading 45 and this magic brass dust appears. Like everyone says it looks to be too much bell binding in the crimp die. I'm belling 0.010" ( after belling the outside of the case is around 0.475") to accommodate coated Blue Bullets or Berry plated bullets. Any less bell and I begin to scrape the bullets upon seating. I've tried raising the crimp die, but then there's still some flair and they won't case gauge. Any ideas?

Polish the inside of the seating die. Run an empty case up the seating die after it has been expanded, if you hear a scraping noise then that is where the brass particles come from. Look in the die and you'll probably see concentric ridges, polish them and it will reduce the problem considerably.

Polish the inside of the seating die. Run an empty case up the seating die after it has been expanded, if you hear a scraping noise then that is where the brass particles come from. Look in the die and you'll probably see concentric ridges, polish them and it will reduce the problem considerably.

Follow Steve's advice, plus use a very light amount of One Shot. Minimize the mess and smooth out operation.

I use a number of Lee dies and a few needed a good polish. The specs were fine..they just had machining marks.

You can also attempt dialing back the amount of flair/belling used, but take care not to start shaving coating. It is a fine line with coated bullets. Good luck.

I looked in the seating die and that looks OK. No brass rings or dust. A belled cased does not hang up in the seating die. The crimp die is a different story. I took a picture of it because it doesn't look right. A belled case goes in the crimp die smoothly then gets hung up near the top. Some cases require quite a bit of effort on the down stroke from the crimp die. Looks like it needs some cleaning and polishing. For the guys that have polished the inside of their dies, what did you use? Thanks!

IMG_1735_zpsx5j7nl1t.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick update. I sent the crimp die back to Dillon. I had a new crimp die sent back within a week. They must have found something wrong or out of spec. I finally got around to loading some 45 tonight and set-up the new crimp die. Works perfect. No more brass shavings or cases sticking in the crimp die.