Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kung Fu Hustle

Nolan

OK, we watched Stephen Chow's "Kung Fu Hustle". Sadly I think it's only available in English subtitles, but it really didn't seem to interfere with the movie. This is a 1940's gangster take off with flying Kung Fu masters, a couple of snappy dance numbers, great characters, and enough Road Runner/Coyote, and Tom & Jerry touches to please just about any adolescent, er audience.

I especially liked the 'Landlady' she's a classic! Hair always in rollers, cigarette dangling from the corner of her mouth, house coat, fuzzy pink slippers. The 'Barber' with half of his butt always hanging out of his pants was also pretty good.

It's worth the price of admission just for the knife throwing scene where every blade seems to wind up sticking in the hero. Keep an eye out for the snakes as well.

Three and a half thumbs up!

So now I have to find Chow's other movies "God of Cookery" and "King of Comedy"

Nolan

Dang Nolan. Next time I see you in a match, I'll let you borrow all my Chinese movies. I've got some classics you might not have seen yet. In exchange for some secret master tips of course. I still like your umbrella. :)

I also suggest you see Shaolin Soccer.

just got that last night on the street down here. It's on a 4 movie compilation dvd, of (Jim Carey's) Mask, Kung Poa 1&2, and Shoalin Soccer. I have never heard of the last one until you mentioned it, but will give it a look tonight.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
I also suggest you see Shaolin Soccer.

I remember watching that when it just came out...I was laughing so hard, my throat was in pain after the movie (especially the make-up fail portion). In my opinion, it was even better than Kung Fu Hustle.

• 1 month later...

It's a favorite - took a few views to get into it, but it's definitely in my playbook for repeats...bought the Blu-Ray as well.

I've never found the subtitles to get in the way, it draws you in and allows you to forget the physical impossibilities ...

Barry

• 5 years later...

I know that this is a really old thread but...

The other day friend mentioned Kung Fu Hustle along with Shaolin Soccer as movies worth seeing but I kind of ignored him since most of kung fu movies don't appeal to me. But I just watched a trailer from Hustle and it looks hilarious. Got to put this on my Netflix watch list.

The landlady Master is killer. Just thinking about her makes me laugh.

Subtitles don't even bother me. A few minutes in and I forget that I am reading them. My kids had a different opinion. My youngest daughter tried to claim credit for doing a book report because I made her watch Once Upon a Time in China with subtitles.

• 3 months later...