Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Miculek Grips on 625

parsonm1

I don't know if this goes in the rant page or here, but does anyone else think they suck? When I am not shooting, the grips feel great, but as soon as the first round goes off, my right hand knuckle takes a real beating!

Looks like a set of rubber Hogues are in my future!

My hands would sweat so bad in the summer that I ended up putting a bit of skateboard tape along the backstrap and a dot on each side of the grip (about the size of a nickel). That seemed to cure the jump and bumps. :)

If your right thumb is taking a beating you might need to straighten your thumb to ride more horizontal. Maybe switch the thumb latch to the old style.

I don't know if this goes in the rant page or here, but does anyone else think they suck? When I am not shooting, the grips feel great, but as soon as the first round goes off, my right hand knuckle takes a real beating!

Looks like a set of rubber Hogues are in my future!

They're waaaay too small for me. And too slick to boot. I can't understand how Jerry can be so fast with them. They have everything I don't want in a grip :D

So what are the preferred grips for fast revo shooting? I haven't tried the Miculek grip, but I have been tempted. I currently use rubber Hogues with the finger grooves, but I know the finger grooves are making me grip the gun lower than I should... :huh:

Grips are very individual things. On his tape, the man himself states his grips are good "up to about a 200 power factor" for him. The more powerful the round, the more they tend to move around in my hand. So, they are better on the 627 than the 625, for me. YRMV. Additionally, if you do not reload the way Mr. M does, with the right hand, the major advantage of the grip, which is its ability to slide around in your hand, is meaningless. The advantage of the left hand load is the stability of the right hand on the gun. That is why I'm slowly working my way back to ugly rubber grips in competition. I do like the extra length of the Miculek grips and the smoothness does make grip correction during the draw easier. Pluses and minuses like all equipment.

Yeah, I don't know how strong Jerry's hands are, but when I recently bumped up from minor to major loads in my 625, the Miculek grips had to go. I just couldn't hold on to them.

The problem with fingergrooves noted by Byron is real, though. I shot a match this weekend with Pachmayr grippers (grooved), and they put my grip so low that muzzle flip really slowed things down. I'm gonna give old Pachmayr Presentations a go, next. They're fat and rubber, and cover the strap, and let me grip nice and high, a lot closer to the bore axis.

I also do not get a good fit with the Miculek grip. I don't have a lot of feeling left in my hands so I need something that sticks.

I played around with different styles but finally settled with the Hogue rubber grips but I buy the round butt style so the end is straighter rather than flaired out. The difference is minimal, but for me thay are comfortable.

My hands take a beating on a daily basis so the revolver stocks change with the amount of feeling I have at the time. I also use Hogue checkered stocks that will bite me when I need them to.

Regards,

I have Craig Spegel uncheckered, non-fingerbump Boot Plus grips on my K and L frame .357s, and don't have a problem with the gun moving around when firing Major loads. I think they're longer front-to-back and thinner side-to-side than the Miculek grips, and the front part is vertical where is meets the bottom, so they may give a better purchase than the Miculek ones.

Some others you may want to look into are the Ahrends non-fingergroove wood grips. They have a rougher texture, plus the front of the grip is flat.

DREMEL :lol:

So I decided to get Dremel happy tonight...

625grip.jpg

I used a sanding drum and undercut the grip where it sits behind the triggerguard so I could get a higher hold. Then I sanded off the finger groove bumps and put some slight indentions where my fingertips rest when I grip it high like I should. I hope they will work as "index points" to tell me if my grip is right.

If you try this, be forewarned -- gummy rubber bits will go EVERYWHERE. Wear eye protection! Do it in the garage! :)

I make custom, laminated revolver stocks in many different colors for the K, L, & N frame smiths. You can view some of them at utahshooters.org or call me at 208-540-7788 with questions. My email address is: bdgunner@silverstar.com

Dick

I make custom, laminated revolver stocks in many different colors for the K, L, & N frame smiths. You can view some of them at utahshooters.org or call me at 208-540-7788 with questions. My email address is: bdgunner@silverstar.com

Dick

Those are nice looking grips Dick.

The Jerry grips hurt the base of my thumb, too, with major p.f. loads.

I've switched back to rubber Hogues, which in my hands seem to allow a grip that's nice and high. They feel so good, after using them for years and years of pin shooting, nothing else quite feels right--that's just a personal acclimation thing, though....

After taking the dang Jerry grips off my hands are saying "ahhhhhhh--thank you!"

Use whatever feels right, and whatever works.

Don't do anything just 'cause Jerry (or anybody else) does it.

The single wisest line from BE's book comes right at the end: "everything in this book could be wrong....."

Mike

anyone try under cutting the grips just behind the trigger to allow a slightly higher grip?

I've not done this but I have seen guys that have sanded the grips under there to make them more personal.

Jerry likes the grips slippery. He even puts powder on his hands to make them more smooth. He likes to be able to adjust his grip easily. If I used powder I'd drop my gun every other draw. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

I too have had trouble with Miculek grips. My fingers are a little shorter than normal, but the palm is average. This left the thumb base knuckle at the edge of the grips. To the point that I opened up a 1/4" gash in the thumb (guess you shouldn't work up loads and wring out a new gun after a long winter with little or no shooting possible, had 3 weeks of 1" ICE on everything, brrrrrr). Tried taking off the left side upper support. Helped for a while, then just opened the thumb up 1/4" lower. Tried moving my hand further around, both ways. Nothing felt, or shot, right. Tried modified Hogue grips and they helped, but they have handling problems too, occassional cartridge (not bullet) hitting the rubber and doing flips.

Finally added more skateboard tape, pretty much wraps the grip below the first finger. Seems to hold the gun better to my hand. Translating into less slamming, torque and I think thats what causes the pounding on the thumb.

I don't like to shift the gun much as I draw. I seem to do better just concentraing on the first shot and letting recoil do it's work adjusting my grip.

Actually seems the higher I grip the Revo the more it pounds on the thumb.

Can only imagine the callus at Miculek's thumb joint. His grips feel good, handle good but I wish they offered them checkered.

I love the Miculek grips but do file down the area under the thumb.

I took redmist10's advice and sanded Mrs. Airedale's Hogues on her 610. She can get higher on the gun now and I think she will shoot better.

Dave