Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What do you know now..

ScottQ

As a brand new shooter, I've been reading a lot of posts here and elsewhere, but haven't been posting much, as I'm trying to learn from the vast amount of knowledge here. So my question is a simple one...

What do you know now, that you wish you'd have known when you were new?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Scott

That the front sight isn't just a bump that got in the way of seeing where my shot hit.

When I started shooting IDPA matches I got caught up in seeing my hits instead of seeing my front sight and knowing where it was going.

Slow down and find your sights, then once you know that work on speed.

Oh yeah dry fire practice alot, get your sight picture and your trigger control down.

Get some good instruction if you want to be good.

Skill gained now will be there tomorrow. Skill gained tomorrow won't be there now.

It's not about the shooting, it's about the people and the fun.. behave accordingly.

"Get some good instruction if you want to be good."
Out of the three years I've owned handguns, only the last year or so has been fruitful, sensible and productive. I never had access to seriously decent training over a period of time and rec'd little or no true 'counseling' about which guns to choose. If I'd only known back then that the gunsmith I have NOW was also an instructor, I'd be WAYYYY farther along than I am. :angry:

Along with what fortyfiveshooter said about the front sight. Yep. Definitely. :P

The advice I did receive a few months ago from our NRA range instructor was, "Damn, you'd be a great shooter if you'd just slow down." He, too, was right. I tried it. It really worked.

B)

I am a slow learner and must learn things the hard way....usually more than once. I am still learning that missing FAST never gives me a good score. It is much better to shoot your own pace to get your hits than it is to blaze a light speed.

Front sight, front sight, front sight...and front sight. Speed kills when not applied with front sight, front sight, front sight. :P Have fun, this sport can be very humbling to a new shooter. Don't get discouraged, practice alot and do what works for you. Above all, you must have fun! TXAG

Get some good instruction if you want to be good.

This sounds like really good advice, but so far I've found it somewhat more challenging than I expected.

The first thing I did was to talk with the instructor at the local range I usually shoot at. He's an NRA Certified instructor, has shot IDPA, IPSC, PPC, etc etc. Has a long list of credentials and experience, so when he suggested I start with his basic handgun class, I figured why not. After all, I'm still quite new to all this, so I figured some basic instruction in the fundamentals would be a good place to start.

Well, it turns out this course was an utter and complete waste of $100. Apart from 2 hours of range time and 2 boxes of .22 ammo, I got essentially nothing from the class. Everything we covered in there I already knew. I sorta figured there was gonna be a problem when he said to start with a target (standard 25 yard NRA bullseye target) at 10 yards, and when you can get 8/10 into the black, move it back, etc. Well, I could put 8/10 in the black (about 5" diameter) at 25 yards before I ever walked in.

So now I'm not sure what to do. I've watched the Matt Burkett videos (1-3) and I'm in the process of reading Brain's book, but a fair amount of what's covered there seems to be beyond my current skill level. I'd really like to find some good instruction that is tailored to my current skill level (or lack thereof :) ), but I'm having a hard time finding something that's target at the right level.

My next step was going to be to ask the club members if anyone is willing to help, or knows of any good instructors that can help, but I'll ask that here also, does anyone have any suggestions on good instruction for new shooters?

Get a shooting buddy that is better than you. The friendly competition in practice is very motivating. Even a B class shooter is going to have a lot of great info on draws, reloads, movement, drills, calling the shot, etc. The best advice is to get a couple of shooting buddies that are sandbagging in Master class, then leech off the bastards like a lamprey eel! Works for me! :)

Actually, I ended up doing just that. Some great little tips and practice session disciplines came along as a result. I actually put a notice up on the range bulletin board seeking a tutor and a gentleman came forward with suggestions and willingness to spend a little practice time alongside. We eventually were also teammates in league (until the ownership decided to ban the concept of teams, blowing the minds--and sponsorhips--of not just a few A-Class shooters :o ).

So, yeh... some generous friends and teammates can be really beneficial. I think I've "leeched" many of them for shooting tips over the last year. ;)

Jake-- I found out how important 'points' were early on. Now I'm haunted by it. :wacko:

What do you know now, that you wish you'd have known when you were new?

Your post got me to thinking. Scary and dangerous thing, I must stop it. :D What have I learned as I'm entering my second season.

Don't obsess over equipment. Pick a gun, holster, mags, and pouches. Get so use to the stuff it's like putting on your favorite pair of jeans. Make the commitment to practice, dry and live, with a goal for every shot. Shooting without a goal is just coverting powder into noise.

A clean run with zero points down is more satisfying than an equal HF run dropping points.

The less I care about my score in relation to others, the better I shoot.

I am my toughest competitor.

Forego the third cup of coffee just before the match.

Oil and fuel the machine. In other words keep water and energy bars in your range bag. Drink before you're thirty. Eat before your hungry.

You can miss a target three feet away. You can hit a target 35 yards away.

Quality trigger time with any gun, rifle or handgun, rimfire or centerfire, can teach you something you didn't expect.

Thick comfy socks can do wonders.

Good stuff!!!!!

Drink before you're thirty.

But only after you're 21!!! :D

You can miss a target three feet away. You can hit a target 35 yards away.

For me - modify to hit at 50 yards.... and I can definitely miss at 3 feet...

Couple from me -

- The only constant is change

- you can never stay constant - you are either moving forward, or moving backward

- if you're unhappy with your situation, wait a little while, it'll change

- your perspective will be different tomorrow, in 3 months, in six years

- If you're not having fun at this, you really need to look at why and fix it! :)

- I work better when I have some camaraderie to go with it

- so - find some buddies to practice with at least occasionally

- support your friends (and "enemies"!), and feel good about it

- send out the good energy, and it comes back to you!

- strive to be a GM at the mind game, and you'll unlock levels

of performance you never thought you had

• 4 months later...

One thing I have learned is never go out to shoot "just for the fun of it." Make each shot count and before you pull the trigger mentally identify where the shot will hit, and if it doesn't take the time to evaluate why it didn't hit where it was supposed to. Experiment until each time you know exactly why you hit or missed.

Most Importantly:

Shoot as much ammo as you can afford to . . .

. . . maybe even more!!!

Gotta say..

I have to shoot for the fun of it...otherwise its just work and I do that already 60 hours a week..

from the time I have been in the sport..

when you practice..practice with goals..record your performance to establish your baseline.

don't waste time and money on bad equipment.

Establish what works for you and train with it..mix dryfire, livefire and matches.

Good training will take time off your learning curve.

Surround yourself with good friends that love the game like you do..have fun.

I guess it doesn't matter which division I shoot..

I placed just about the same place...

19 Sargentini, Vince REENTRY C Open Major N N 366.8560 65.11%

20 Sargentini, Vince TY46726 B Limited Major N N 364.2085 64.64%

Man, talk about close finishes.. I finished right near middle of the pack too, 47 shooters.. (well, probably 35-40 shooters, several of us shot 2 guns).

Maybe I'll pick some other divisions to split myself up a bit more.. Say Revolver and Production... no, I'll probably be down near the bottom of the stack :D

Vince