Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stippling with out sanding an STI grip smooth?

Gunnar897

Has anyone skipped sanding the diamond pattern off prior to stippling? I have done one stipple job before and was pleased with its out come but was wondering if sanding is necessary. I am trying to avoid reducing the grip and didnt feel like sanding made much of a difference on the last grip.

Any previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

It kinda depends on the stipple tool you are using and how deep you wanna go. I stippled over the shallow glock texture with no problem. You have a little bit of lee way and you can move a fair amount of material around. It does make it cleaner to at least knock down the highest spots before you start.

It kinda depends on the stipple tool you are using and how deep you wanna go. I stippled over the shallow glock texture with no problem. You have a little bit of lee way and you can move a fair amount of material around. It does make it cleaner to at least knock down the highest spots before you start.

I assume worst case scenario I could try an area and if it doesnt work sand it out and try again

I assume worst case scenario I could try an area and if it doesnt work sand it out and try again

exactly

I went for it tonight and learned a few things between sanded and un-sanded:

1. Sanding removes/softens the factory lines so you tend to go over the entire grip and dont feel forced to stay within the original textured areas
  2. Use a smaller diameter tip - I used a mid sized tip textured with a 30 lpi file. There seems to be more material squeezing out the sides than say a small diameter tip on a flat surface
  3. The extra material that squeezed out makes the grip very "grippy" but not pretty
  4. A smaller tip allows more flexibility in pattern or lack of pattern

My goal was an aggressive grip and I got it. As usual I should have slowed down a bit. This is my second grip I have stippled and overall I am pleased. I may go back and dress up some areas

Anyone know if you can stipple G10? I would like to replicate my stippled 2011 on a 22/45

From Hogue Wbsite -G10 is a high-pressure thermoset plastic laminate consisting of multiple layers of woven fiberglass mesh cloth impregnated with an epoxy resin binder.

Not sure how it would react to heat. You might try a spot on the inside of the grip?

G10 is cut on CNC machines so it must be pretty hard again not sure how it would react to heat.

I use a tip that is a little over 1/8th inch diameter and polished smooth. I do a pattern that takes time but I can always spot my grips at the range. You can almost hang the gun off your shirt, like velcro. I like the sand the profile, but not all the way through the checking on the sides. Not necessary.

I went for it tonight and learned a few things between sanded and un-sanded:

• Sanding removes/softens the factory lines so you tend to go over the entire grip and dont feel forced to stay within the original textured areas
  • Use a smaller diameter tip - I used a mid sized tip textured with a 30 lpi file. There seems to be more material squeezing out the sides than say a small diameter tip on a flat surface
  • The extra material that squeezed out makes the grip very "grippy" but not pretty
  • A smaller tip allows more flexibility in pattern or lack of pattern
My goal was an aggressive grip and I got it. As usual I should have slowed down a bit. This is my second grip I have stippled and overall I am pleased. I may go back and dress up some areas

Let's see some pictures of your finished product.

The only issue I run into when stippling existing checkering, is that you often find the tip of the soldering iron sliding down into the valleys of the existing texture, making your new stipple job slightly inconsistent with out extra time spent. I would wonder if it would be beneficial to first use a heated flat blade to flatten the existing texture slightly before going back and stippling it. This would not remove any material and should keep the grip full sized for those of you that prefer it that way. Never tried it, just a thought...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...