Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone start with a 550 and wish they got a 650?

I've read all the "getting started," "tips and tricks," and the "versus" type threads and it's still clear as mud. I read the faqs in Brian's store and I still can't decide what to do.

I currently load small batches of high power rounds on a single stage. I've always liked the 550 but recently I've had the itch to just get a press and go! Wether it be an sdb or 550 or...

I recently came into some money and could conceivably jump into a 650 if I wanted (although I'm sure the wife would not be thrilled with the price tag).

At this point I'm intrigued by the sdb. Has anyone ever "hacked" one to take off the shelf dies? Or made custom dies?

Sorry to post another one of these types of threads. Also, sorry for all the questions but be forewarned I'm sure I'll have more. Anyway, thanks and looking forward to your answers

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you loading rounds to shoot High Power? If that's all you're loading, then I don't know that I would load on a progressive. I bought a 550 and I regret it. I bought a caliber conversion for every gun I own, but then I started getting into USPSA pretty heavily. All I load now is 9mm; it's all I have time for. I wish I had just ponied up for the 650 with a case feeder and later added a bullet feeder. That would have been my ideal.

I load all of my long range ammo on my 650 and it shoots/has shot well within 1/2 MOA out to 1000 + yards. The trick it in the setup and using good dies. I decap, then neck size, then body size, drop my charge (which is weighed on a separate bench) and then seat.

I started with the 550 and I'm glad I did. I learned that press inside and out. When it came time to move up, I had minimum learning curve on a 650. I would highly recommend starting with the 550. The best explanation is here from Brian's store....

The SqDeal or the 550?

The 550 will load virtually all pistol and rifle calibers, whereas the Square Deal will only load straight-walled pistol cases.

I almost always recommend the 550 for your first reloading purchase because it is a simpler, more versatile, and more reliable machine than the Square Deal. Day in day out the 550 will readily churn out ammo. And as your shooting hobby expands, your 550 will expand along with it, inexpensively able to accommodate over 160 calibers. It's simplicity, ease of operation, and rugged dependability make it my favorite machine, and Dillon's biggest seller by far.

The only time I recommend a Square Deal is if you have loaded on a friend's Sq Deal and liked it, cannot afford a 550, and never plan to load anything but a few pistol calibers. And did I mention that it's kind of small?
More in "Which Dillon" on The speed-illusion of auto-indexing without a Casefeeder...

The 550 or the 650?

Although one of the tougher comparative decisions, I seldom recommend the 650 over the 550 as your first progressive machine, and even less as your first reloading machine in general. The 650, w/Casefeeder and auto-indexing, is a complex machine compared to the 550. However, a few exceptions for the 650 might be:

• You're shooting USPSA or IDPA pistol competition, or are planning to.
  • You're an experienced reloader looking to upgrade from another brand.
  • Plan to use the machine to load one or two calibers in high volume.
  • Are not only tired of messing with your current piece of junk, but in general, would prefer to spend more time either shooting or hanging out with your wife or kids than reloading.
  • Price is not an object.
  • Your're not afraid of a complex machine.

You usually know if you are ready for the 650. Almost always, the 550 is a better choice over the 650 because of the reasons mentioned in the Sq Deal vs 550 comparison ...

Sorry, 223 for NRA highpower. I'm mostly only concerned with loading 9mm. I have a friend who wants me to load 300 black out for him but I'm not really looking to get a whole setup for a caliber that I don't own.

I may eventually load 40, but for now really only concerned with 9

this debate is simplified by analyzing the amount of ammo needed.

>15,000 per year = 650

<15,000 per year = 550

the first year I loaded more than 18k rounds on my 550, I knew it was time for an upgrade. I've loaded about 20k this year already on my 650. No complaints about my 650.

I'm glad I bought a 650 two years ago. I wish I had kept my 550. Both are great machines. I'd like a 550 for misc. reloading needs.

Pick the one that suits your needs.

No one has recommended the SDB yet so at this point I think I can eliminate that one. I was intrigued by the sdb cause of the low cost and the auto indexing.

Its starting to look like I cant go wrong with a 550, even if I decide to get a 650 later.

I will say that I am not interested in a 1050

No one has recommended the SDB yet so at this point I think I can eliminate that one. I was intrigued by the sdb cause of the low cost and the auto indexing.

If you're interested in reloading only 9mm, I recommend the SDB. :surprise:

You mention you're thinking of reloading for .40 down the road - if that's .40 minor, I still

suggest the SDB.

BUT, if you're thinking of reloading .40 MAJOR, then I'd recommend the 550. :cheers:

I have two of them that have loaded much more than a ton of ammo over the last 30 years. I like them but don't really look at them as "low cost" anymore, back then they were $130.

The initial outlay for a setup sdb is less than that of a 550 so thats why I say low cost. You mentioned earlier that the 550 bridged the gap for you, does that mean you suggest the SDB to start?

I have two of them that have loaded much more than a ton of ammo over the last 30 years. I like them but don't really look at them as "low cost" anymore, back then they were $130.

this debate is simplified by analyzing the amount of ammo needed.

>15,000 per year = 650

<15,000 per year = 550

the first year I loaded more than 18k rounds on my 550, I knew it was time for an upgrade. I've loaded about 20k this year already on my 650. No complaints about my 650.

I'm glad I bought a 650 two years ago. I wish I had kept my 550. Both are great machines. I'd like a 550 for misc. reloading needs.

Pick the one that suits your needs.

That's only one factor... I believe that the amount of time the individual wants to spend behind the bench is the major issue. I personally prefer spending only 16 hours to load 15000 rounds of 9mm on a 650, rather than 30 hours. (550-500/hr, 650 900/hr).

After reading the good/bad/ugly for all of the Dillon Presses (one of which is quoted above) and after consultation with my dealer, I found the 550 to be optimum for my needs. Load about 7 different cals (mostly 9mm and .380). The change over from one cal to another is an absolute snap with the 550. Starting with primed brass, I load about 650-700 per hour. Since I bought the 550, I have loaded about 25k rounds.

I went to my dealer to get the 650. After we talked about half hour, he told me that he was going to cost himself some money but he said my situation screamed 550. His reasoning was virtually a carbon copy of the research recited above. I do not regret getting the 550 and see no chance of going 650/1050 any time soon.