Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom Trigger In A Carry/Duty Gun

VinceInJax

Hello All,

I'm fairly new to the forum and I hope I'm posting in the right place. I recently purchased and installed a ZEV race connector and competition spring kit for a Gen 4 G35 that I plan to use for USPSA Limited. I like the feel of the trigger so well that I'm thinking of doing the same to my G17 which I use for an occasional IDPA match. I also carry this gun as my CCW and when working armed security.

Any legal issues? I live in Florida.

First thing I would do is check company policy on modifying duty weapons. You probably won't find any legal precedents or case law regarding this issue but I'm not an attorney so don't take my word for it.

My personal opinion (which doesn't mean $#!T in this case) is that a good shoot is a good shoot regardless of whether it happens with a Joe Biden double barrel special or an Infinity race gun.

If allowed by your employer you could change the connector and possibly use a 5.0 # FPS and you should have a reliable trigger Only carry with quality American Made ammunition.

Shoot and make sure the pistol is reliable with your carry ammunition. I am not an Attorney and do not give legal advice.

Use a Real Attorney for Legal Advice rather than an Internet Attorney.

Edited by JBP55

When you received your CCW permit didn't the issueing agency tell you not to modify the gun in anyway except sights or grips?

Not here?

Good shoot or bad shoot, period.

Surprised they allow you to switch to those deadly assault super sniper sights there. ;-)

Edited by fmj3

Hello All,

I'm fairly new to the forum and I hope I'm posting in the right place. I recently purchased and installed a ZEV race connector and competition spring kit for a Gen 4 G35 that I plan to use for USPSA Limited. I like the feel of the trigger so well that I'm thinking of doing the same to my G17 which I use for an occasional IDPA match. I also carry this gun as my CCW and when working armed security.

If you want to hear it from a courtroom expert, I would suggest you ask this question, or even search, on GlockTalk's G.A.T.E sub forum that's run by Massad Ayob. He's THE authority in use of deadly force and how that plays out in the court of law.

I'd took his MAS20 class, and it's eye opening for CCW.

When you received your CCW permit didn't the issueing agency tell you not to modify the gun in anyway except sights or grips?

Not here?

Good shoot or bad shoot, period.

Surprised they allow you to switch to those deadly assault super sniper sights there. ;-)

This right here. A legal shoot is a legal shoot. A lawyer can try to argue you turned your gun into a heat seeking death machine by modifying the trigger, but at the end of the day it will get thrown out or flat out not mean a damn thing to the jury if your lawyer is even half way worth a damn.

I put a 3.5# connecter in my carry glocks, but I am very hesitant to lighten the striker spring. My 34 with a Vanek trigger and a 4.5# striker spring does not like CCI primers, but works perfectly fine with Federal and Winchester. For me this is no big deal in a range/match gun but if my life is on the line I will stick with factory springs and not worry about light primer strikes.

I like the answer below a Moderator posted on another forum relative to triggers and legal issues.

There's little doubt that the work done on the pistol has voided the manufacturer's warranty, but legal and self-defense questions are for the courtroom and attorney's offices, not here. Also, further commentary will be conducted in a professional manner.

Edited by JBP55

Not in a Free State, must be a California thing!

Yea, I know you guys like to point out California, and probably with good reason. There have been reports of CCW holders having their high capacity magazines taken away from them during traffic stops as property and then had to go to court to get them back.

But, the deputies running the renewal class in my county for the last 12 terms have said no modifications, except sights and grips, which is the same thing as sworn deputies go by, no modifications to duty weapons either. Our guns are inspected here by the range deputies before the qualification and they can decide whether, or not, to qualify a renewal or applicant. In fact my county goes so far as to say no OEM 3.5lb connector, or extended slike stops or mag releases on a Glock that did not come that way. And they don't 'recommend' carrying high caps even if you have have them 1988.

I know Mass personally, and have spoken with him several times about this issue. His answer is better go with what the issueing agency deputies are telling you.

California is a may issue, not shall issue state. So i have to live with these rules, or move.

Edited by 9x45

I have a ghost connector in my g19 that I carry occasionally. I'm not an attorney and far from it so take my opinion for what it's worth (the going rate is nothing) but I feel that a good shoot is a good shoot. If it's to the point that my gun is getting examined and stripped, I probably am in hot water already. The reality is there that using something made for competition COULD be used against me. I also feel that my attorney should be able to argue that my modifications made the gun safer to bystanders and others and made it more accurate. Some guys tinker with cars, I like to tinker with guns. I would hope my attorney would be able to paint a picture about why I did it in a reasonable fashion.

I think an equally big issue with modifying a carry gun is the reliability aspect. Stock glocks are perfectly reliable out of the box. Some competition spring kits can cause light strikes, and that's not something I'm willing to risk in a carry gun. I ran 500 rounds through mine to ensure I wouldn't have any malfunctions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RangerTrace, but in Texas you are allowed to use deadly force in defense of life and property. Not in CA. Are you also able to use deadly force on a fleeing felon?

Not like pre-1976. Tennessee Vs. Garner changed that. I will answer your 2nd question via PM.

I could see a problem if an attorney grilled you on the stand about the modification (ie) are you a glock certified armorer? If not how do you know the mod was safe? Then accuse you of " installing a hair trigger" so you could kill someone easier. You know where I'm going with this. I carried glock 35 with a 3 lb connector from the factory for years up until I retired from the pd. IF you get into a shooting chances of them going far enough to look for mods are probably slim but I have seen crazier things in court. Depends on the attorney. Did you see the George Zimmerman case?

Hello All,

This is a question that comes up and always goes along the same lines:

1) Somebody points out it's generally a dumb idea to modify any duty/defense gun to make the trigger pull lighter becase it opens up the owner to civil liability.

2) The next guy says that the only "legal issue" is whether the shooting was justified (ie, shooter's life threatened) and the trigger doesn't matter.

And it generally goes downhill from there.

My opinion, which applies to all my defense guns: they are polished and blueprinted, triggers are clean and sharp breaking, but all springs and trigger pull weights are in the factory stock range. The reason is, I have known lawyers, I know how many lawyers are out of work and looking for any frivolous lawsuit to file (watch daytime TV, every third commercial is for a class action lawsuit of some kind).

And my philosophy of life is simply: it's tough enough, why make it harder by being stupid?

And giving some sheister the chance to scream "HAIR TRIGGER!" in front of twelve dozing morons who know as much about guns as an earthworm knows about brain surgery is definitely dumb. It astonishes me that people sometimes think what happens in court has any bearing on truth, common sense, or even reality. Remember the people judging the case were the twelve people who couldn't come up with an excuse to get out of jury duty. My wife had three county employees who drug her and the county through a ridiculous lawsuit and ended up ringing the cash register after about five years of wasted legal procedures.

Edited by bountyhunter