Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

thinking about single stack, question on caliber

andrewtac

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Self-loading handguns come in .45ACP caliber.

Well, that's my world. I have heard of .38 Super, and maybe there's a couple of those here, too, but...

Having said that, my Significant Other made a bit of a name for herself toting around a couple of Canyon Creek Custom .40 cal single-stacks, and her original gun changed my crusty old mind about custom guns vis-a-vis reliability.
Even in the recalcitrant caliber of .40 S&W, for which the platform wasn't designed, it pretty much never stops running. I can't even remember the last stoppage that wasn't bad ammunition.
After years of running/officiating many, many USPSA and IDPA matches and watching all sorts of finicky racer-boy specials choking and snagging, it came as quite a surprise to see nothing but sustained, accurate fire out of a tricked-out gun. (And it is tricked-out.)

So here comes the Single Stack Minor wave. The SO isn't built like a middle linebacker. The .40 hardly pushes her around but well, the smallbore can be shot faster, after all.

And besides, Jessie shoots .38 Super.

So she had Mr. Dettelhouser take her old 9x19 IDPA gun, rebarrel it to .38 Super, and away she went.
9x19 is even less ideal in the JMB design but .38 Super really is. Any old magazine works (settled on McCormicks, though) and the gun has simply never stopped running since the conversion. Not once, in many thousands of rounds. It runs so slick and happy with the long cartridge it's almost uncanny- observers watching the gun run even remark on its smoothness.

So having two more rounds aboard... starting to sound even to this old curmudgeon as if the concept might have merit.

I want to get a 1911 in 40. Is the trojan the only choice? Can I expect to buy mags and use it in competition straight away without issues?

I don't think any of the local gunsmiths would have experience sorting out any problems related to the caliber.

Until last year only the police used it. We can't use 40 in standard divison/limited yet but in classic it is ok.

Dan Wesson, Sig and Para make 1911s in .40 as well. Springfield used to but seems to have stopped except by special order from the Custom Shop. STI has probably built more of them than anyone else, and as of their latest Trojan production models seems to have figured out a very reliable design.

If you intend to only shoot .40 loaded to SAAMI specs any of the above would probably be fine. If you think you might load longer length ammo to use in a future Limited Division 2011 pistol, the Trojan is probably your best bet. Depending on your magazine selection, the Trojan seems to have the best reputation for reliability. I really like mine.

Cheers623

DVC

I had a .40 STI Trojan that I run in L10 (would need to pull the magwell to run in SS). I had to send it back to STI after I first bought it since it would not feed at all. They quickly installed a new barrel and sent it back to me. Worked like a champ after that. I have since had a bull barrel fit to it. I can switch between bushing and bull in a minute if I want to shoot SS. I am using Wilson 10 round .45 mags. I have tuned the mag lips to retain the .40 reliably and the mags work perfectly with .40 and still function for .45 as well (which I can use in my STI Trojan .45 if I choose).

While I would love to be running a double stack like the Edge; California makes purchasing such a pistol virtually useless unless I am willing to break the law.

One more arguement for buy .45 mags and tuning them; using .40 in a .45 10 round mag allows you to fit an extra round. While you won't be loading that extra round the space makes for much softer mag inserts. It's as though you are downloading a 10 round mag and helps reduce the potential of a botched mag change.

Dan Wesson, Sig and Para make 1911s in .40 as well. Springfield used to but seems to have stopped except by special order from the Custom Shop. STI has probably built more of them than anyone else, and as of their latest Trojan production models seems to have figured out a very reliable design.

I dont see a .40 on the dan wesson site... If I missed it please point it out since I'll buy one immediatly

Don't know of Dan Wesson making a factory 40

But

I sold a Pm-9 to a friend a couple of years ago and he sent it to DW and they built him a factory top end for 40

He's happy as can be with it

I own all three and shoot the 40 90% of the time

Some matches are set up with lots of different options on how to shoot the COF and that where 10 rounds is a help with the speed you can make up by

shooting the stage a little more ingenuously.

With that said I shoot 200gr bullets out of my 40 and 45 and my splits on the timer are the same, May not be a big deal Tim Herron does well with a

45 so its mostly personal

40 brass can be had at most ranges for free, don't often see 45 in the brass bucket.

On the advice of my friends I started USPSA this year. They were all shooting SS so I decided to do the same. I had no idea what to buy so I listened to them. Long story short I got an STI Trojan in .40 and bought Tripp 9 rd cobra mags. I have put 1000+ rounds through it this spring and it's run great. The lone exception was Saturday at Indiana SS/Prod but that was a mudfest.

On the advice of my friends I started USPSA this year. They were all shooting SS so I decided to do the same. I had no idea what to buy so I listened to them. Long story short I got an STI Trojan in .40 and bought Tripp 9 rd cobra mags. I have put 1000+ rounds through it this spring and it's run great. The lone exception was Saturday at Indiana SS/Prod but that was a mudfest.

I think you made a good choice. The Trojan ought to serve you well. Welcome to the forum and the sport BTW.

I think you made a good choice. The Trojan ought to serve you well. Welcome to the forum and the sport BTW.

Thank you very much. I've had a great time. My equipment has performed well and I'm sure that makes a big difference.

Would you be reloading or using factory ammo? If your shooting factory ammo, I would go 9mm for sure as the 40s usually like the ammo reloaded a little longer. As for mags, since it appears you are not in the states are you able to get Tripp mags as for 40 caliber, the Tripp "Corey" mags are the mag to use. In 9mm there are a couple different options that work well. I would rank them Dawson, Tripp, Wilson for 10 rounds and for 9 rounds the "springfield mag" which is what comes with the STI as a factory mag. As for major or minor it all depends on the stage. If it is ALL 8 round arrays major may be a benefit unless its very steel friendly then you have 2 extra shots in minor and steel scores the same. I know people will say its fastest to shoot 1 for 1 but you can push it a little harder especially on an 8 round steel array if you know the extras are there if you need it and 1 miss isn't throwing you to a slide lock reload and 2 is a standing reload. Also if you run into stages that are not 8 round arrays, 10 helps. The big on is the 4-6-4-6-4-6 arrays where its 4 from one position, then 6, then 4 etc. if your shooting 10 rounds your much better off than shooting 8 and loading constantly. Single stack nationals is a poor example for major vs minor as it is set up specific for 8 rounds

Question for those using the 10mm mags for 40, do they need any work or do they run out of the box? I have a 40 S&W 1911 on the way and trying to decide on mags. I will eventually also shoot limited with a 2011 so am interested in developing a load that works in both if possible.

Question for those using the 10mm mags for 40, do they need any work or do they run out of the box? I have a 40 S&W 1911 on the way and trying to decide on mags. I will eventually also shoot limited with a 2011 so am interested in developing a load that works in both if possible.

I'm using the Tripp Corey 10mm mags. I don't recall needing to do anything to them, and they run my 1.180" ammo that I use for Limited.

Me and another local shooter have 3 Trojans between us and have been using Tripp 9 round 10mm mags with ammo loaded to both factory length and longer and they've run without issue. The only hang up has been when using the Tripp 10mm mags (only the follower is different) and using shorter/factory loaded ammo loaded to the full 10 round capacity. Then the first round nose dives. However, loaded longer (1.180") they run fine when loaded all the way.

Hope that helps,

Cheers623

DVC