Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Class not my bag

Sup38

There must be something wrong with me. I switched from revolver to a Open glock and the first time I drew the gun the dot was there. I don't know if the grip angle, combined with the horizontal mount are just similar to a N-frame with iron sights or what. But, I've never had trouble with the C-more shuffle. lol That sounds like a country song.

Anyway open is fun, hopefully someday I can upgrade from this glock and really go fast. In the mean time I think I can learn a lot shooting open with my current set up.

I saw this on this site once. shooting open is like listening to heave metal music, it's loud it's fast and not for the faint of heart

The funny thing is, you don't really notice the noise when you're the one doing the shooting, (unless you're in a confined space, of course.) The one who DOES tend to notice the noise is the poor RO who is standing right behind you. :devil:

Like this?

post-400-0-02237600-1431008838_thumb.jpg

I've shot various open guns for fun, never for a whole match. I must be a mouth breather as the thing I hate the most is the concussion feeling I get in my head/mouth/sinuses shooting an open gun. I could probably stand it in a wide open bay, but that is not very much of shooting this game. The noise and pressure just kills it for me. Oh, and I don't like to tinker and tune a gun constantly either, which seems ( i could be wrong) a prerequisite for shooting open.

Maybe that's why there are different divisions. I can't imagine shooting anything other than open. (and I shoot a indoor weeknight match every week, there are 3-4 open shooters there. Gets a bit loud :surprise: )

i've been shooting Production for 3 years and have been shooting open centerfire and open rimfire in Steel Challenge seriously for one year after our MD (a 5 div USPSA Master ) who has helped me off and on said shooting open would help me shoot irons better .... and he couldn't have been more right ...

I dry fire 5x/week but didn't find it that difficult to learn to draw a dot gun or for switching back and forth between irons and optics ...

I saw this on this site once. shooting open is like listening to heave metal music, it's loud it's fast and not for the faint of heart

The funny thing is, you don't really notice the noise when you're the one doing the shooting, (unless you're in a confined space, of course.) The one who DOES tend to notice the noise is the poor RO who is standing right behind you. :devil:

Like this?

RO_Flinch.JPG

That made me laugh. I love it when an RO at the end of a stage is checking to make sure that their fillings are still there.

This happened to a buddy of mine. He came out and shot a few matches and liked my Open gun. After a few months, he got a Glock Open gun and thought that would would get him to the next level. Well, after shooting a few matches with it, he was ready to sell his Open gun. A lot don't understand about the dot shuffle and you really have to practice in different positions and under stress. You can stand there at home and find the dot just fine most of the time. Put a timer behind you and it's a different story. It was a little difficult for me at first but now, I love Open. I really don't want to shoot the other divisions as much but I do jump over every now and then.

Finding the dot is not really an issue for me any longer. I've been shooting open for 3 1/2 years now, I'm close to A, and I shoot 2 steel matches per month, and 2-3 IPSC matches per month. The only time I ever have to look for the dot is on strong-hand/weak-hand stages, and there is a trick to that. Put your muzzle at 12-o'clock in your window, then drop it straight down. The dot will appear.

Once you get your index down the dot is there. It does take some dryfire draws to get your dot there every time at first. It is easier to shoot and harder to shoot at the same time. Slow fire out the dot there and pull the trigger and it hits. Now speed that up and it shows every flaw in your technique. If your grip is poor it shows in the dot tracking. It does help with irons on the sence that you will find and fix your technique flaws

I shot open years ago. I ended up selling the gun and going back to limited. I now shoot production and occasionally revolver. I think it was all the blast from the hybircomp barrel. Since then I have bought a number of silencers, so I guess I like my guns quiet.

I shot open years ago. I ended up selling the gun - it was all the blast from the hybircomp barrel.

I hate to lose an OPEN shooter. If you get a full sized barrel, no popple holes,

and the right powder (WAC with 124 gr bullets) - bet you won't mind "the blast".

If you still do, try double plugging - plugs and earmuffs.

We can't afford to lose OPEN shooters because of a little noise. :cheers:

Now that SS Nats are over, can't wait to pick up my open gun. The 90* mount really helped me be more consistent in finding the dot quickly. The upright Cmore made it feel like it was "floating" up there somewhere.

I just ordered my open gun from Eddie Garcia. 38 super comp. Hybrid. Now the long wait !!!!!!

Doesn't have to be a long wait - buy a TruBor worked over by Brazos,

and you can start shooting in weeks.

And, you won't believe how nice it is to have a spare Open Gun down

the road when your Garcia Hybrid comes in. :cheers:

I just ordered my open gun from Eddie Garcia. 38 super comp. Hybrid. Now the long wait !!!!!!

Doesn't have to be a long wait - buy a TruBor worked over by Brazos,

and you can start shooting in weeks.

And, you won't believe how nice it is to have a spare Open Gun down

the road when your Garcia Hybrid comes in. :cheers:

I emailed Brazos they said it would be 16 months for an open gun. Besides I would rather stay local for a smith.I Have participated in several matches were Eddie has been at and I've talk to him about open guns.Great shooter, very personable and he knows his s***.

Hells, that 16 month wait from Brazos would be for a fully custom gun.

I'm not trying to push you, just to inform you that you can start playing

in a few weeks if you purchased one of Brazos' guns that he has "tweaked"

that he probably has lying around in stock. (I bought one 6 years ago,

and it's still My favorite OPEN gun).

It won't be Your Personal Favorite, but you can play with it for the next

year or two that you're waiting for you special gun, and keep the Brazos

as a spare gun after you finally get your Garcia special. It's really

nice to have a spare OPEN gun - I always bring both to the range,

and it's come in handy quite a few times. :cheers: