Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Class not my bag

Sup38

I've shot very little Open. By little, I mean about 2 magazine's worth. The good shooters make it look really easy but its a totally different game that takes some dedication and time to get good at. Its just not for some people.

it isn't something you can just pickup and run with and I think that is where it gets people. You really needs to practice finding the dot and getting your draw right every time.

those of us that can't shoot iron sights.So, I shoot open division . . . Super Senior, B class-having a lot of fun again ;)

You can't beat Open. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Especially when you're 70 years young. :devil:

When I shoot Limited, I'm at the bottom of the scoring sheet.

When I shoot Open, I'm a lot closer to the top (still being

beaten by a few of those pesky kids with their Glocks) ... :cheers:

I had the opportunity to shoot Cowtown this weekend with an open gun. Keep in mind I am only a Limited C shooter. I have never shot an open gun in a match prior to this and probably only 100 rounds in my lifetime just trying out an open pistol basically standing still.

It was a very eye opening experience, nothing like I expected. Finding the dot was tough, the recoil impulse is different, it highlighted my stance issues and controlling the recoil was not as easy as guys/gals make it out to be when i watch them in the past.

It was great fun when I consciously thought about fixing everything i was doing wrong. It definitely would take some practice and make me focus on grip, stance, and drawing the gun the same each and every time.

That being said, I want one.

yeah finding the dot is the big issue for me, less but still an issue with the scope sideways as it's still a little higher than regular sights. and with the sideways mount, vision/periphery is obstructed some. when I shoot the same matches with both open and limited guns, almost all the time I do better with limited. part of the reason is above and part is I just go faster with the open gun knowing that being accurate but slow puts me at the bottom, even though I "know" that being sloppy and slow also puts me at the bottom... more practice...

I shot an Open gun once in a local match with a 2011 that belonged to another shooter. Can't remember, but I think it was 9Major. It was definitely an eye-opening experience. Never shot an Open gun with an optic and comp before that day. Finding that dot really takes a good, consistent draw every time. I shot one match with one classifier and did OK with it. I can see myself getting into it down the road, but I like Limited right now.

I saw this on this site once. shooting open is like listening to heave metal music, it's loud it's fast and not for the faint of heart

The funny thing is, you don't really notice the noise when you're the one doing the shooting, (unless you're in a confined space, of course.) The one who DOES tend to notice the noise is the poor RO who is standing right behind you. :devil:

There was a long time member here that had this in his signature:

"Open is a lot like death metal; Loud, Fast, and not for everyone."

ETA: The soul is Kingman ...

Edited by ChuckS

I shoot a Limited Glock 35. My vision isn't great and practice time is almost non-existent. I'm a middle C shooter and expect to stay there.

For fun a couple years ago, I picked up the parts need to swap uppers between Limited and Open. That gave me a way of exploring Open at a relative low cost. I can see the appeal of the red-dot but can also see that practice is definitely in order.

Which brings up an interesting point - if I were to practice more with the Open setup, I might be able to make it to C class. If I spent the same time with my limited gun, I could probably get to B class. I'm not sure how the two would compare in overall scores, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were about equal.

Still, I do like the open gun setup and might start shooting it just for fun. I'm not going to win any prizes no matter what I shoot so I might as well have fun with it.

if I practiced with an Open setup, I might make it to C class. If I spent the same time with my limited gun, I could probably get to B class.

I've heard some pretty good shooters say, and I've experienced it myself,

that shooting OPEN increases your shooting in Limited.

I used to shoot Ltd, and after shooting Open for a year, my overall

shooting ability has increased - esp the part about shooting FAST... :cheers: