Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45ACP Edge

KentG

Unless it's going to be a carry gun too, I think you'd be a lot happier with a .40. There's no point in putting that much $$$ into a gun for playing games, then handicap yourself with more muzzle flip and slower cycling slide.

I've never heard of anyone getting more than 15 in the mag. 14 that can be loaded in a speed-reload. Which means Limited10 Division.

The true hi-cap 45s are Para, Bul, Enterprise, and Springfield, because they can all use the Para mag. But then you still have expensive bullets, expensive brass, more torque and a heavier frame.

Oh yee of little faith (in Gramms, that is!) Call Bevin & ask. With his parts and a tune up, 16 should be possible. The SV follower trick - well, lets just say I did not like that follower and the top of the spring sometimes popping out the top of the mag. No idea what Bevin's new follower designs can do.

Had a custom SV .45 with a short dust cover and sold it. My .40 is faster for me but I still kind of miss the .45. I shot lead in it and it was very soft (and smokey) but did torque a lot harder than my .40. I want one of the light framed sti versions for carry.

Even if you COULD get 16 in a mag...your still at a big disadvantage in comparison to a similar set-up in 40 unless you use a Para type platform.

STI/SV's in 45 are better suited for L10. I knew this going into it when I had mine built in 2000. ;)

I still use mine a bit in Limited Division...just depends on the COF's the club is running. ;)

Speaking of STI 40's.......

I have been looking at a hard chrome Edge in .40 at the local gun shop. The gun is used but looks to be in new condition. It has five magazines that look like DP with some different types of bases on them. I know I can get this gun new for about $1800. What should I be paying for a used one?

Steve

• 11 months later...

I have a new Edge in 45 ACP that doesn't seem to be running too well.

I will explain the problem and if anyone has ideas about how to correct this, I would like to hear them.

On first visit to range, the Edge ran about 150 rounds while doing some load testing with the 12 round mag that came with the gun.

The loads were fairly light as I was working up to major PF.

The gun ran fine.

I bought (4) new 140mm mags and took it to its first club match.

Load was 230 Montana Gold over 5.3 gr. N320 with oal of 1.260 (run through a Lee FCD).

The gun ran through the whole match except for one stage where I had two failures to feed.

The slide was about half closed with the bullet and the front of the case in the chamber and the back of the case still visible in the ejection port.

I put new STI followers and Dawson +1 basepads on all the 140mm mags and applied some mag slick.

Took the gun to an indoor range and ran 10 rounds through each mag doing double taps.

No problem.

Back to a club match today and had one failure to feed on every stage.

Same problem as before only the slide seem to be closing farther.

It hangs up when the slide is about a 1/4" from going into battery.

I really think this is magazine related or possibly too heavy a recoil spring with a load that barely makes major.

I have ordered 4 tuned mags from Beven Grams but it will be a while before I get them

In the mean time, any suggestions?

Tls

I have a new Edge in 45 ACP that doesn't seem to be running too well.

I will explain the problem and if anyone has ideas about how to correct this, I would like to hear them.

I bought (4) new 140mm mags and took it to its first club match.

Load was 230 Montana Gold over 5.3 gr. N320 with oal of 1.260 (run through a Lee FCD).

The gun ran through the whole match except for one stage where I had two failures to feed.

The slide was about half closed with the bullet and the front of the case in the chamber and the back of the case still visible in the ejection port.

Tls

TLS -- is that load accurate?? Or a typo? 5.3 seems like a full grain heavier than I'd expect.

I had the same problem with a 45 edge, Mine came with a recoil master in it, I took that out and put a standard guid rod and I believe it was a 17 pound spring I put in it, and I had tuned mags,after that mine ran fine,

Edited by sandankenpo

Yes it is correct.

Viht manual says 5.2 is a max load and will produce 850 fps with a 230 gr Hornady.

However, it takes 5.3 in my gun to push a 230 MG up to 755 fps (173 PF).

I have gone all the way to 5.5 with no signs of excessive pressure.

That's another strange thing about this particular gun.

It produces lower velocity than my other 45's with the same load.

I have seen as much as 80 fps diffential.

Tls

I knew these were around here somewhere (the search engine is a wonderful thing when I remember to use it):

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/General/D...?f=bt002002.pdf

http://www.brazoscustom.com/magart/ejection%20perfection.htm

These 2 articles will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about extractor tuning but were afraid to ask. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought I would update my previous posts on this thread.

I decided that my Edge had enough issues to justify a discussion with STI.

The accuracy was marginal.

The velocities I was getting were substantially slower than my other 45's.

Reliability was not terrible but a big enough problem that I wasn't comforable taking the gun to a major match.

STI asked me to send the gun back to them and I have.

It went out yesterday.

It will be interesting to see what they do to it and what the results are when I get it back.

If anyone is interested in knowing how the story goes, let me know and I will post updates.

Tls

• 1 month later...
Please keep us updated.

Majja

My Edge was returned to STI with a letter of explanation, chronograph data and targets.

STI assigned the gun to one of their smiths who test fired it and decided to tune the extractor to improve reliability.

They checked it for accuracy and got about the same results as I did.

They also chronographed some loads and agreed that velocity was a bit low but not enough to be concerned about.

Their customer service called me to discuss the situation and reminded me that they do not guarantee accuracy.

However, they felt the gun wasn't quite up to their standards and offered to replace the barrel.

The gun came back to me five days ago.

I havn't had an opportunity to shoot it yet, but I am confident it will perform fine.

I would like to state that I was very impressed with the way STI handled my issues.

They could have simply said: "The gun is within specs" but they didn't.

Instead of blowing off the problem they went after it with due diligence.

They read my letter and carefully examined the data I sent them.

They test fired the gun, tuned it up, hand fitted a new barrel, chronographed ammo, and fired at least 50 more rounds for accuracy.

Their customer service and support was exceptional.

I'm a believer.

Tls