Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does AR slamfire lead to instant match DQ?

In short, yes. I haven't read all the rules but there is no broken gun clause as far as I know in any of then so if the shooter ND's then its on them. However depending on some matches it may be a stage DQ instead of a match DQ, but again it depends on the rules youre shooting under.

Edited by Moltke

A slamfire with an AR is not necessarily due to a defective rifle. It could also be caused by reloaded ammo that has a standard small rifle primer rather than a thick primer such as CCI BR, CCI magnum, or CCI 41 primers.

Firing a round while loading, reloading, or unloading is an AD and therefore a match DQ in every rule set I have read, whether it is due to a slamfire or a misplaced booger-hook. I do not believe I have seen or heard of a set of rules that allows an AD to be only a stage DQ.

This has happen to me while ROing. Couldn't ascertain whether it was a SF or an itchy trigger finger though. Because of this, it is required that the rifle is on safe coming to the line and muzzle is pointed at the backstop before dropping the bolt. Some guys like to drop the bolt when the muzzle is pointing over the mountain. I would DQ.

Edited by SF1911

This has happen to me while ROing. Couldn't ascertain whether it was a SF or an itchy trigger finger though. Because of this, it is required that the rifle is on safe coming to the line and muzzle is pointed at the backstop before dropping the bolt. Some guys like to drop the bolt when the muzzle is pointing over the mountain. I would DQ.

Being on-safe will not prevent a slam-fire. The malf in question is when the inertia of the firing pin is enough to discharge the primer as the bolt slaps shut. Muzzle always in a safe direction is a good policy, as the safety doesn't help in this instance. Any time the gun goes off outside of a timed run and pointed at a target is a go-home if I am the RO. That way you have a free afternoon in which to replace your unsafe parts/ habits with good ones :)

Hmm??? Well in My case it was treated as a detonation and I was allowed to continue after the R.M. checked my rifle. Safety was on and finger was straight and the R.O. saw that this was the case. I have never run a steel pin since....oh yeah made sure that it was pointed at the berm.....and so should everyone. A slam fire isn't necessarily a D.Q., but if it goes over the berm there is no saving you!

Interesting, Kurt. Under the USPSA Multigun rule 10.4.4.1, the only exception mentioned for detonation is specifically stated "while unloading" a firearm. At least in their rulebook, a Slamfire during loading is considered an AD. I may be wrong, but that is my recollection.

You may be right or you may be wrong, but it doesn't change how it was interpreted at the time. Bottom line was I got to shoot so I did, so in my experience...NO it doesn't always lead to a D.Q.

For clarification, I didn't argue or protest, the R.O. called the R.M. because he saw me put it on SAFE and saw my finger STRAIGHT and he wanted to know how to call it. He said I want to make the right call on this so let me check on it.

Being on-safe will not prevent a slam-fire. The malf in question is when the inertia of the firing pin is enough to discharge the primer as the bolt slaps shut. Muzzle always in a safe direction is a good policy, as the safety doesn't help in this instance. Any time the gun goes off outside of a timed run and pointed at a target is a go-home if I am the RO. That way you have a free afternoon in which to replace your unsafe parts/ habits with good ones :)

Your of course correct on the slam fire. I should have just mentioned the itchy trigger finger.

Edited by SF1911

• 2 weeks later...

Kurt, based on your comment am I correct that you only run titanium firing pins now? What is your favorite brand? thanks

Hmm??? Well in My case it was treated as a detonation and I was allowed to continue after the R.M. checked my rifle. Safety was on and finger was straight and the R.O. saw that this was the case. I have never run a steel pin since....oh yeah made sure that it was pointed at the berm.....and so should everyone. A slam fire isn't necessarily a D.Q., but if it goes over the berm there is no saving you!

I've had slam fires and the firing pin wasn't stuck. Switched to titanium hasn't happened since. Avoid Bushmaster "titanium firing pin" I bought one several years ago and was significantly lighter and had a yellow coloration for easy identification. I bought a second one 6 months ago and it was heavier than the steel one! Try to return anything to bushmaster it's near impossible I gave up. I googled titanium firing pin and there is a company based in Florida that makes them and come with a certificate of authenticity. These are very very light and with over 7000 rounds and no problems whatsoever.

Back to the matter of primers, I was having light strikes all the time with CCI so switched to Remington. I gather Federal are the softest so avoid them if for no other reason than safety in progressive presses. Is this really a concern so much as to go all the way to the hardest, or are we talking about rare flukes that are almost not worth mentioning?

Blackheart International LLC. makes a great Ti pin.

As for Federal primers in a Progressive, I've loaded a metric crap ton of them, both big and small, on a 650

I was instructing this weekend and cant count the times i had to reiterate to the shooters to load their rifles with the muzzle pointed to the berm. You cant bring a slam back but we can decide where it goes by our loading actions.

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

I have not had this happen in a match however I did have it happen in practice. I always drop the bolt on a live round pointed into a berm or the ground in front of me down range.

The round that went off for me had a smeared primer and I was curious what would happen or if it would even fire. Now we all know. I also have went to Ti firing pins as a little insurance.