Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 9mm 5" or 4.25" for SSP

zombywoof

I'm looking for a new SSP pistol in 9mm. I have the M&P in .45. I'm looking for 9mm for less recoil. I have a Tanfo in 9mm but don't like the hammer down rule. Is there much difference in the extra .75 of an inch. I'm sure the extra weight and longer sight radius helps. any opinions? Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

There's nothing the 4.25" will get you that the 5" won't do better, other than coming out of the holster slightly faster. For classifiers, that may benefit you slightly, but not in match shooting. Since pretty much every M&P gets an apex anyway, if you can find a 9L and drop in new sights/trigger you shoudl be good to go.

Shot both. Got the 4.25" model because I didn't feel a big difference. After getting used to it, who knows, maybe I'd like the 5" more, but I am happy.

Sight radius is really about the width of the front sight vs the amount of light on each side. You can get thinner front sights, and different rear sights that will give you the same effect.

Pro models are better out of the box, but the new guns are vastly improved in trigger break and recoil, just heavier triggers.

The sight radius also translates to how your good enough sight picture shows up down range. Sights is a moot point for the reason you discuss

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

I shoot the 4.25 because I got a deal on one with three mags back when everybody believed that M&P mags were going to save then from the zombie apocalypse or were using them to shim their mattresses.

I have shot the five inch model and didn't like it as much. I prefer 4" barrels in most pistols that aren't 1911's but your balance preference may vary.

The only real advantage not being discussed is a bit more velocity out of the five inch for making PF at chrono. Basically if your load is marginal in the 4" it will be comfortable in the 5".

• 4 weeks later...