Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Confusing world of EAA/ Tanfoglio

Zoomy

Looking for some help in a production gun purchase. My nephew is graduating from high school and his parents would like to buy him a nice production pistol with a budget of $1600.

He has been shooting his dad's stock XD in .40 S&W for 4 months now and he is ready for a nicer setup.

I have heard good things about EAA / Tanfoglio but after studying several websites I can't seem to nail down the exact combo that will fit the following parameters for production.

9mm or .40 minor

Fit the box to be production legal

Be able to start with single action

A 2.5 - 3# trigger pull in SA

Short trigger reset and over travel

And since he is a youngster he would like it to have nice unique look to it.

I am a 2011 Limited shooter so I have not looked much into production. I would like to know what his parents should purchase that would take him to GM if he is capable. I know there are other pistols out there that can fill the need but I am spoiled with a 1911 style trigger so even my wife's modified XDm 5.25 trigger still feels cheesy to me.

Any help to steer us in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Zoomy, out of the box the Tanfoglio trigger is gritty, heavy and stacks in double action. Almost everyone here had to self teach ourselves to modify it using parts designed by Eric Grauffel. If your nephew isn't comfortable with this and it isn't easy, I would suggest the CZ platform. There are three reputable builders that can meet your budget. Matt Mink of Automatic Accuracy, Angus Hobdell of CZ Custom and David Milam of Cajun Gunworks.

Take a look at Limited Pro or Stock

Would he be able to start in SA since they have a safety? Or would he have start in DA since the pistols are capable?

No....if you are wanting him to shoot in the production division the hammer has to be down. Single Action guns are not allowed in production so if he is only wanting to start in single action mode, then he should shoot in the limited division or limited 10.

Take a look at Limited Pro or Stock

Would he be able to start in SA since they have a safety? Or would he have start in DA since the pistols are capable?

No....if you are wanting him to shoot in the production division the hammer has to be down. Single Action guns are not allowed in production so if he is only wanting to start in single action mode, then he should shoot in the limited division or limited 10.

Thanks, I just found my rules book. Have to do some reading.

I think one of the CZ SP-01 shadow's would be a great option, or even one from one of the above custom shops. Yes in production, all single/double action guns must start with a double action first pull. Generally that is only maybe 8 times in an 8 stage match, so consider that. If he wants to have the same pull for ALL of his shots, you would be best served by going the route of a striker fired gun. These days the guns that catch my interest first are the Sig P230, XDM 5.25, or 5" PPQ. You would definitely have plenty of money for the rest of the rig with one of those guns. Don't forget if $1600 is the budget, is that just for the gun or the whole rig? Bits here and there add up fast!

As I continue working on my Stock III, I can only agree with the idea of going with the CZ Shadow from the custom shop for your nephew.

I think I'm really going to like the Stock III, but it's going to take quite a bit of work to get it to that point - at least compared to the amount of work I had to do to the Shadows.

I think one of the CZ SP-01 shadow's would be a great option, or even one from one of the above custom shops. Yes in production, all single/double action guns must start with a double action first pull. Generally that is only maybe 8 times in an 8 stage match, so consider that. If he wants to have the same pull for ALL of his shots, you would be best served by going the route of a striker fired gun. These days the guns that catch my interest first are the Sig P230, XDM 5.25, or 5" PPQ. You would definitely have plenty of money for the rest of the rig with one of those guns. Don't forget if $1600 is the budget, is that just for the gun or the whole rig? Bits here and there add up fast!

$1600 is for the whole rig. He already has the CR Speed belt and magazine pouches he just needs the Bladetech holster. I already reload ammo for him so no reloading equipment or ammo costs for him.

Yes in production, all single/double action guns must start with a double action first pull.

I just wanted to clarify this statement for anyone that is unfamiliar with Production rules. You probably know the rule Eli, it's just your choice of words may confuse some.

All DA/SA guns must start with Hammer fully down. There is no rule, in USPSA, that requires a Double action first pull. If a shooter wants to, they can cock the gun at the start and take all shots SA. In the five years I shot Production with a DA/SA gun, i probably did it maybe twice, both times on very long steel first shots. So odds are, you're going to be taking all of your first shots DA, but i wanted to make sure that those reading this that are unfamiliar with the rules know, there is a big difference between "starting hammer fully down" and "must start with a double action first pull."

Yes in production, all single/double action guns must start with a double action first pull.

I just wanted to clarify this statement for anyone that is unfamiliar with Production rules. You probably know the rule Eli, it's just your choice of words may confuse some.

All DA/SA guns must start with Hammer fully down. There is no rule, in USPSA, that requires a Double action first pull. If a shooter wants to, they can cock the gun at the start and take all shots SA. In the five years I shot Production with a DA/SA gun, i probably did it maybe twice, both times on very long steel first shots. So odds are, you're going to be taking all of your first shots DA, but i wanted to make sure that those reading this that are unfamiliar with the rules know, there is a big difference between "starting hammer fully down" and "must start with a double action first pull."

Thanks for the clarification.

All things considered from the above recommendations I will probably end up recommending a CZ from one of the above vendors. I checked all three and it seems only CZ Custom has ready built Shadows. Time is important since my nephew will only have his summer vacation before he heads off to college.

Thanks everyone for your input. If anyone has more info please continue to post.

In the five years I shot Production with a DA/SA gun, i probably did it maybe twice, both times on very long steel first shots. So odds are, you're going to be taking all of your first shots DA, but i wanted to make sure that those reading this that are unfamiliar with the rules know, there is a big difference between "starting hammer fully down" and "must start with a double action first pull."

Thanks for clarifying. I was aware of the wording but had never even considered cocking the hammer after the buzzer goes off for a more accurate first shot. Under the right conditions, and with practice, you could do that pretty fast. Like the cowboy action guys!

Why does he want to shoot production? Does he think it will easier to achieve GM? Or for some other reason? Maybe if he switches classes and shoots a pistol with a good stock trigger he can spend the savings on ammo and range time. My Tanfoglio Match cost just under $600 a few years ago and has never seen a gunsmith or had a "trigger job" (by that I mean internals were modified and/or polished. But it's got a really good trigger at least my friends and I think so. It's a single action and as the round count mounted the internal parts seem to have polished themselves. Just my two cents. I never measured the trigger pull weight because I care more about a crisp break, really smooth trigger movement and a short reset.

Edited by jmbaccolyte